PDA

View Full Version : Driftwood????

nando19
Thu Aug 03, 2006, 12:35 PM
Is driftwood real wood or is it something else like can someone please help me because there is no where that I can find a good explanation about it sorry if this is the dumbest question in the world :oops: and also is there somewhere where you can get really nice big pieces like 700mm long or so

Nathan
Fri Aug 04, 2006, 11:51 PM
first off, dw about asking silly questions because if u dont then youl never know! plus this is isnt a silly question.

driftwood is real wood, but not the type you put on your fireplace. its the type thats been in streams an rivers, but you can also use eucalyptus branches (make sure there old an very dry).

you could try looking at your LFS theyl probly have some but will probly be quite expehnsive, or your local garden supplier, or if you live near the bush just go for a walk around an see what u can find, but it has to be eaucalypt or drftwood or bogwood.

others will be able to eleborate more on this

marg
Sat Aug 05, 2006, 01:07 AM
Nando19,

I see that you are from Griffith - about 2 hours from me at Wagga Wagga - so you shouldn't have much trouble as we are both close to the good ole Murrumbidgee River!!.

Go to one of your local Stock Reserves and have a look around there - if you know anyone who lives on the Left hand side of the Griffith to Leeton Road (coming from Griffith) you would most likely get some there as that area used flood heavily and there would be plenty of pieces that were washed onshore after the flooding. Worth a try.

Welcome to the Forum - do you have Discus?

Marg.

nando19
Sat Aug 05, 2006, 07:08 AM
No I don't have one yet i am hanging out for one but lol, So you find driftwood at the river how can you tell if it is driftwood or is any wood that has been kept in a strem just classified as driftwood and thanx for the warm welcome

samir
Sat Aug 05, 2006, 07:38 AM
Marg is drift wood collection allowed in NSW ??? i was under the impression that it wasn't. There's tons of driftwood where I go fishing, but I wasn't sure if putting some in the boot was legal or not. Anyone got any info ???

hootie2s
Sat Aug 05, 2006, 07:45 AM
You can usually tell driftwood as its obviously been sumberged in water for a while...sounds odd but it oftens takes on a "softer" look.....plenty of aquatic life will have a nibble here and there and the water tends to give it an aged look.

If you collect some yourself, be aware that it is illegal in some places, and that some animals will live in and around it, so collect within moderation.

Once you ahave a few pieces get a drum and soak them in some fresh water to check a few things, one is tannins (tea colour) that leaches out of most wood...its not all that harmful to your tank except for the pretty factor, it can be gone in days or may take years.
Also while I soak my own stuff I tend to check the ph (more out of curiosity) the majority of DW will make water slightly acidic (side effect of the tannins apparently) No probs for amazonian fish there :D

I will post a pic below of a little pice I got from my parents property near Lithgow:

http://img255.imageshack.us/my.php?image=driftil0.png

I have been collecting DW for years and while the above works for me its not a guarentee......just use your own common sense etc when collecting (such as clean waterways etc) and you should be fine...lfs often charge very high prices for small pieces...I am a bit of a DIY fan myself :oops:

Hope some of the above helps

Brett

ps If you get SEVERE tannins and want a "pretty" tank bio chem ZORB is a God send :!:

Me I like a bit o' tannin.

hootie2s
Sat Aug 05, 2006, 07:52 AM
On private property I collect away... national parks and crown land etc in NSW is all bad mate.....you never hear of anyone getting in the poop but I prefer the "better safe than incarcerated" approach.

Brett

nando19
Sat Aug 05, 2006, 08:42 AM
Yeah I will get it off someones property can you find it in swamps as one of my friends owns a fair chunk of a very large swamp and I could probably get some there legally

marg
Sat Aug 05, 2006, 09:07 AM
You've got to get a permit to collect any type of wood now from what I understand (even firewood), but out in the sticks where we are I don't think you'd have too many problems if you are only going to pick up enough for your tank. Chances of getting into trouble are pretty slim - and if you are going to get it off a friends property I can't see where it would be a problem at all.

I'm no expert but I would think that anything that came out of a swamp would be well aged - but I'd give it a real good clean.

Most of the trees in our area are gum trees anyway.

marg.

marg
Sat Aug 05, 2006, 09:07 AM
You've gort to get a permit to collect any type of wood now from what I understand (even firewood), but out in the sticks where we are I don't think you'd have too many problems if you are only going to pick up enough for your tank. Chances of getting into trouble are pretty slim - and if you are going to get it off a friends property I can't see where it would be a problem at all.

I'm no expert but I would think that anything that came out of a swamp would be well aged - but I'd give it a real good clean.

Most of the trees in our area are gum trees anyway.

marg.

marg
Sat Aug 05, 2006, 09:11 AM
nando19,

when you are ready to get some Discus, get onto Crocky (he's on this Forum) - he is at Wangarratta and he has some beautiful babies at quite reasonable prices too!!

marg.

nando19
Sat Aug 05, 2006, 10:41 AM
Yer I dont really know what tank to get yet wangaratta that is a fair distance I want a 5 foot tank but there is none I can find that I like

MattB
Sat Aug 05, 2006, 11:27 AM
On the topic of driftwood...

I bought two quite nice sized pieces from my LFS today, and I was wondering how long I need to soak them for to remove the tannins.

Atm, I have it in a bucket with 5 cups of boiled water, and the rest filled with hot water from the tap. It's been soaking for about 3 hours now, but I understand that it takes about 2 weeks? Any advice would be appreciated.

I'll try to attach some pics.

MattB
Sat Aug 05, 2006, 11:28 AM
And the tank, it's going in.

Set it up today :P

hootie2s
Sat Aug 05, 2006, 10:49 PM
Nicw stuff Matt....dont want to go too far off the original so I will keep this short and sweet, there is no set time for tannin release....though most of mine clear up in less than 2 months complete, I have one pice that still leaches after 2 years :shock: only slightly but still does it.

Also check how thick your substrate is.....too thick has caused anerobic (sp) pockets in my set ups before with pretty dire consequences :oops:

Brett

Phlipper
Sun Aug 06, 2006, 02:01 AM
Hard to tell, but that wood doesn't look very well aged, and looks to be lumps of Mallee Root, commonly used in aquaria but as already mentioned may take a great deal of time to leech out all the tannins. You can speed up the process by repeatedly boiling it if that is practicle ?

MattB
Sun Aug 06, 2006, 02:31 AM
Thanks for the advice guys.

I refilled the bucket today with more boiled water. I think quite a bit of the initial tannin and muck was leeched out, but it looks as if it will take quite long :(

Here's an updated pic (sorry there's a weird reflection).

Jadels
Sun Aug 06, 2006, 06:59 AM
I have also heard if u soak them in pool chlorine it will take all the tannins out, then you have to wash them out with water and leave them in the sun to evaporate. I have never done it but i have heard of people that have and its been fine in there tank with cichlids and never leached again!

Phlipper
Sun Aug 06, 2006, 11:49 AM
Soaking the wood in chlorine {bleach} will assist in removing tannins, but chlorine itself is very toxic to fish so you would want to soak chlorine soaked wood as well for quite a while to render it safe for an aquarium, and maybe as wrell as let it sun bake for a few weeks, personally I wouldn't do it ?

hootie2s
Mon Aug 07, 2006, 01:19 AM
Bio chem zorb, purigen or activated carbon will all be of help if added to th mix.

Brett

aks
Tue Aug 08, 2006, 01:04 AM
BOILING HELPS???

hootie2s
Tue Aug 08, 2006, 04:28 AM
Yeah boiling can help speed up the process...its also good for killing off any harmful nasties.....I also bake any smaller pieces (just keep an eye on them as the WILL burst into flames if left too long :shock: )

Brett

Phlipper
Tue Aug 08, 2006, 07:58 AM
Boiling rapidly leeches out the tannins that stain the water, the only problemis finding a pot large enough to boil them in............however look on the bright side of it, throw in a few potatoes, carrots, turnips and you've got yourself a nice soup :lol: ......invite some of your worst friends over for dinner :lol:

Jadels
Tue Aug 08, 2006, 10:56 AM
just keep an eye on them as the WILL burst into flames if left too long :shock: )

Brett

I hope this wasnt from experience :shock: Do u still then have to soak it so it becomes saturated and sinks because i heard soaking it helps with keeping it at the bottom of the tank.

hootie2s
Wed Aug 09, 2006, 09:02 AM
just keep an eye on them as the WILL burst into flames if left too long :shock: )

Brett

I hope this wasnt from experience :shock: Do u still then have to soak it so it becomes saturated and sinks because i heard soaking it helps with keeping it at the bottom of the tank.

Ummmm if my partner reads this no, its not from experience :D

Just between us...yeah I did it :oops: it was only a small piece and it was easy to put out.....yeah lots of pieces I have had float at first..I either dump them in another tub to saturate or if they are one of those oh ah need to be in the tank RIGHT NOW pieces I weight them down with some rockwork or more driftwood.

Brett