PDA

View Full Version : Would this tank be suitable for 6 discus

nando19
Tue Aug 01, 2006, 07:22 AM
Hi I have recently purchased a tank and I am already interested in buying another to keep discus in there I have been reading round a bit I am getting pretty frightened by the frequent water changes needed but what I am wondering would this tank here http://www.aquaone.co.uk/Royale_aquarium.php the Royale 120 be big enough for 6 Discus and a school of 8 tetras and a couple of corydoras? If so how much filtration would I need and how frequent of water changes?

Nathan
Tue Aug 01, 2006, 07:30 AM
yes it would be big enough for 6 adult discus an the other fish, id be doin at least water changes a week.

The filtration depends on your budget, id be goin an eheim professional, or maybe a fluval 404.

but ill leave it up to other people for more detail on the filtration

HTH

nando19
Tue Aug 01, 2006, 10:00 AM
Oh that is a relief I will probably not be putting discus in there straight away maybe get a little more experiebce with some other fish but after six months or so I will want to have those fish in there I know that it comes with a Aquaone 1200 l/hr canister I don't know if that will be suffice but another question is do discus require a planted aquarium because every photo I see they are planted or are they ok with fake plants

Merrilyn
Tue Aug 01, 2006, 10:07 AM
Welcome to the forum Nando. You are well under stocking limits with 6 discus in that size tank.

Plants are a personal choice. I've had discus tanks both ways, both planted and bare bottom and also sand bottom with just driftwood and plastic plants.

It's up to you, but to begin with, I'd be thinking of staying with plastic plants, for a while at least. It's a lot easier to keep clean and gravel vacuuming is a breeze.

If you can manage two water changes a week of at least 25% your fish should be happy and healthy.

nando19
Tue Aug 01, 2006, 10:14 AM
Thanx for the warm welcome guys so how many discus do you think I could fit in that tank then with a 25% twice a week will that allow my fish to grow to there maximum size of 8 inches yeah I really like the look of driftwood as well but I didn't think it would go well with discus

Merrilyn
Tue Aug 01, 2006, 10:27 AM
You could have 7 or 8 adults in a tank that size, but stick with 6 and your fish will grow to their maximum size. They'll love the driftwood. It's a very natural element in their home waters, and helps to soften and acidify the water.

nando19
Tue Aug 01, 2006, 10:32 AM
This info makes me want to go out and buy the tank and stock it with discus tomorow I cant wait lol

Nathan
Tue Aug 01, 2006, 10:40 AM
well buddy, the key to a good healthy tank, is planning. trust me i learned it the hard way, i know youll wanna do a lot of impulse buying but you have trust me youl regret it, especially if your budget is strict.

what you should do is, work out how much the tank is, where to get it from, see if you can get it cheaper anywhere else.

then start looking at your filtration an what the best type is for your tank. then heating, lighting, an maybe a uv sterliser then look around for the best prices.

if i was to go back i would buy all my gear from APW, youl save hundreds if u buy the stuff off them then rather your LFS.

if you decide to go planted, then you should do some research into which plants are available to u an also which ones will do well in that environment. then work out fertilisers an if you have a enough room in your budget for co2. keep in mind a planted tank can be even more difficult to keep then the actual discus themselves. It can also cost a ton more if your not 100% sure on what your doing.

then set up, buy some plants an cheap fish an start the cycle, this is the hardest part because it takes the longest an you just really really wana put discus in there.

oh an i agree with LR id be getting 6 if you want them to be happy an to grow to there maximum size, plus its a bit cheaper as you are just starting off.

nando19
Tue Aug 01, 2006, 10:47 AM
Yeah the only problem with discus is that no local pet stores stock them i would say they will be able to order them but I daresay they will be three times the price in the cities also what is APW i googled it but couldnt wind nothing and also what is a UV steriliser

Nathan
Tue Aug 01, 2006, 10:51 AM
APW is our onlline sponsor,
http://www.aquariumproductswholesale.com/index.php

here is a thread for some info on what a UV sterliser is, they are optional but a good idea to have one.
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=929

Well maybe you might have to go for a drive around, you could ask your LFS if they could get them in an how much they cost, or go to the classifieds section an ask if there is anyone around your area with discus to sell.

mcloughlin2
Tue Aug 01, 2006, 09:56 PM
Some nice solid advice nathan ... :wink:

I would also reccommend only 6 discus @ first ... Keep your small school of tetras in there and keep the water stable ... it doesnt realy matter what the ph is aslong as its nice and soft (I think a pH of 6.8 would be nice and easy for you to keep) .. Dont expcet your discus to reach 8" though ... for them to grow that big you would need almost daily water changes in my opinion ...

There are several sponsers on here that sell excellent discus ...

Deep Blue Aquaria - http://www.deepblueaquaria.com/

Fish Rock Aquarium - http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8229

Slippery Little Suckers - http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8270

Try each of them and see if they have what you want ... :P

Just remember as nathan said you do not want to rush into it ... yes you may think you know everything you need to after reading this forum for a month, but ive been on here a year and im still learning valuable information everyday ... :)

nando19
Wed Aug 02, 2006, 09:01 AM
Yeah I have already been emailing deepblue aquaria ohh so with twice weekly water changes how big do you think the discus can grow? I am hoping to have this up and running after christmas but at first I will do fishless cycling and then I will add a school of tetras a dozen or so and then about a month after when everything is 100% stable I will add the KINGS!!

Nathan
Wed Aug 02, 2006, 09:28 AM
well i think the tank will definitely be running ok before xmas.

well if you feed them quality food 2-3 times a day then they should get to the max size.

there max size is dependant on the strain, some are a bit smaller then others.

sounds like a good plan nando, pateince is the key, i just wish i had some!

As mcgloughlin said, you will continue to learn tons an tons, just make sure you ask anything your curious about as everyone will be happy to help out!

Also all those fish shops are excellent, i have only heard the best things about them, an i have bought discus from SLS an ive got nothing but good things to say about them.

nando19
Wed Aug 02, 2006, 09:58 AM
Yeah if I had the money I would go out and buy it tomorow but by christmas I will have all I need to drop the fish in the tank

mcloughlin2
Wed Aug 02, 2006, 11:12 AM
Yeah if I had the money I would go out and buy it tomorow but by christmas I will have all I need to drop the fish in the tank

One of the best keys to success is patience ... not many hobbiest's have it ... but you do mate ..

I would say with twice weekly water changes and good care , you discus may reach 6" ..

But it depends on numerous things ..

Good luck with your discus venture .. && Remember KISS (Keep it simple stupid !! :P )