PDA

View Full Version : 6 new discus

discus_fanatic
Thu Aug 19, 2004, 03:27 AM
howdy, i just recently purchased two young pigeon bloods and 4 young blue diamonds. I currently have them in a 3x1x2 tank. I was wondering if this was big enough? is this going to prevent them from getting as large as they normally do after about a year?

cheers guys.

p.s This site is awesome :D :D

Chris McMahon
Thu Aug 19, 2004, 05:07 AM
That's roughly about 40 gallons. It's recommended to have 10 gallon per adult discus. So it will be a little small when they approach adult size.

Annie
Fri Aug 20, 2004, 06:52 AM
discus_fanatic

Congrats on the new babies. I am sure they are just stunning! You will have to share pics.

I am goingto have to agree with Chris here too. You will be needing a bigger tank as they grow. Although, for the time being they should be fine.

kalebjarrod
Fri Aug 20, 2004, 08:53 AM
just under sized

get it a little bigger as they grow, till then just watch your water as they get bigger .

might need the odd extra water change

all good, they grow and love ya till thier biggens

fishpimp
Fri Aug 20, 2004, 09:14 AM
hi there, i think after 6 months it would be wise to keep a closer eye on the ammonia level in your tank, check a couple of times per week. 10 gallons per adult is the rule of thumb, be sure to vacuum your gravel at least once a month.
weekly water changes are wise.

discus_fanatic
Fri Aug 20, 2004, 09:40 AM
i'm currently doing about half a tank a week in water changes using half rain water and half tap. They seem to like this so i'll stick with it. I was also wondering what the best food is for them. I've got them on bloodworms and pellets at the moment should i give them more of a variety. cheers guys

p.s i'll get those pics up soon, just waiting till my digital camera comes in. :D :D

kalebjarrod
Fri Aug 20, 2004, 10:36 AM
i am a fan of a bit of everything

Beef heart mix as mains

but entrees of blood worms, brine shrimp, veggies (from time to time), flake

breaky is dried pellets

Varity is the key to life - :wink:

flukes
Fri Aug 20, 2004, 02:43 PM
Try too get them too eat as many different foods as possible, you will soon find their favorites and least favorites.
If they dont like something dont just feed them something they will eat, leave it in the tank and dont feed them anything else for the rest of the day, if they still havent eaten it do a water change sucking up all the food, still dont feed them the next morning feed them the same food.
The discus will soon get hungry enough to atleast try it, once they realise its food and tastes good, you can start feeding them the other food.
Once they are eating everything, feed their least favorite firs thing in the morning and work your way up the list during the day, always feed their favorite food last.

If i was you because of the smaller tank size i would be incresing the amount of water changes per week, you willfind better growth with the fish and hopefully also a better apitite.
I like to give the fish plenty of room, in fact i normally go 12-15gals per adult fish and 10 gals for juvis. Its is possible too keep more than 1 fish per 10gals but your water changes will have too be increased too support the filter with the bio-load.

Try design a easy way to make water changes, i remember how it was using the bucket method and water changes became such a chor. Now i have a fairly simple but effect water change design, water changes only take about 5-10min per tank and now i am more than happy too do water changes everyday. Because water changes play such an important role in growing/keeping discus a good water change system is almost a must if you want the best for your fish.

Merrilyn
Sat Aug 21, 2004, 02:44 AM
Right on Flukes - water changes are the way to go !