PDA

View Full Version : Hide that weir?!?!

hootie2s
Thu Jul 27, 2006, 11:02 PM
Hi all, well I finally have the tank I wanted for ages, its nothing over the top and flash as buggery, its just a 6x2x2 with a weir, now I love the idea of a sump filter but the weir itself looks a bit "off".

What novel ideas have folks used to hide or camoflauge their weirs?
I have started building a wall of driftwood and rock with various anubias in an attempt.

Any thoughts / ideas (pics would be great), would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Brett.

Davo
Fri Jul 28, 2006, 09:52 AM
Try planting some Val, stricta or another bunch plant such as ambulia infront of the weir. Anything that will hide the weir.

Dave.

Phlipper
Fri Jul 28, 2006, 10:42 AM
How about a picture of the tank and layout as is ?

Mulisha
Fri Jul 28, 2006, 11:30 AM
What about a mesh and attach some java moss to it then just zip tie suction cap the mesh to in front of it like this:

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/6569/twmoss0tv1uh2.th.jpg (http://img233.imageshack.us/my.php?image=twmoss0tv1uh2.jpg)

If you post a pic up we can try and help you out further and the java grows fine with not huge amounts of light and looks great 8-)

Cheers

hootie2s
Sat Jul 29, 2006, 07:56 AM
The tank is plain as at the moment with the silver aro and ornate bichir that I have to sell off before I can "get into it".

Weir is located on the right hand side, I did think about just planting around it with some nice thick bunches of blue stricta, but Mulisha's idea of mesh with suction caps and grow plants on the mesh is soild gold :wink:

Cheers for the input, I will eventually post some pics up of the finished project.

Regards,
Brett.

wickedglass
Sat Jul 29, 2006, 09:49 AM
there's tiles you can get from tile makers, the glaze is inert and you can get different colours. the ones I have have a slate like texture. they're easy to cut and silicon onto glass. I made a tank with one of these tiles as the back wall, and it looks very nice.