PDA

View Full Version : Heaters, which is best.

chrissyoscar
Wed Aug 18, 2004, 10:28 PM
As some of you know I'm getting my 4x2x2 tank in a month or two and I'm looking for a good heater.
As it's going to be 450lt I was assuming 2- 300w heaters were going to be needed.
I've been doing a little reseach for prices etc on the net and most sites recommend a 300w heater is needed for aquariums up to 300lt in size.
Then I went to www.aquaria.com.au and they have a Jager 250 watt heater that does 400-600 litres and a Jager 300 watt heater that does 600-1000 litres.
Now I have 2 questions first can a 300 watt heater really do a tank that size or is the manufacturer dreaming with those claims.
My next question is what heaters do you guys recommend. I don't mind buying a decent brand as I want to have accurate heating and a heater that can do the job.

Thanks.. Oscar

Escher
Wed Aug 18, 2004, 11:06 PM
I would probably go for two heaters, specially since these day you can buy them cheap if you shop around: you should be able to buy a 300w for around $20 ( I bought two for $16). Then if one busts, you have the second one in it already as a back up. with minimal temp drop.
Gianluca

flukes
Thu Aug 19, 2004, 01:58 AM
That jagar might keep temps at 25-26c for 600-1000ltrs but you have to remember discus need it at 29-30c and it is alot more important that it is stable. Id be going with 2 of these.

chrissyoscar
Thu Aug 19, 2004, 02:00 AM
Yeah I might get a 200w and a 300w Jager. I've never seen these before but the 300w is 60cm in size. Now that's huge compared to all the heaters I've seen.

Oscar

Chris McMahon
Thu Aug 19, 2004, 02:31 AM
My preference is for external heaters. I've got a Hydor 300w inline heater on a 5x2x2. It has no trouble keeping the tank at 30C. Plus there's no danger of burns to fish, or glass breakage. Unfortunately the place I bought it from has sold out. They're not cheap either at $50, but I think they are worth it.

My second choice would be an steel in-tank heater, just to avoid the glass breakage thing again.

Proteus
Thu Aug 19, 2004, 02:43 AM
good suggestions Chris...

for submersible heaters, either as Chris mentioned Steel ones, or I have found Visi-Therm to be quite good, same with Orca

flukes
Thu Aug 19, 2004, 02:46 AM
Oscar, if your intrested in the external heater by Hydor, i think boronia still has some for $50 aswell.

chrissyoscar
Thu Aug 19, 2004, 03:21 AM
I have 2 Hydors one on my 4ft tank and the other as a spare, still in the box new. It keeps the water at a constant 29c but I didn't think it was big enough for a 4x2x2.
I'll have to give it a try when the tank arrives.
Gee that was easy I was planning on keeping it as a spare for the 4fter but I might as well use it.

Thanks for your help guys, fantastic as always.

Oscar

Chris McMahon
Thu Aug 19, 2004, 04:51 AM
Oscar, if your intrested in the external heater by Hydor, i think boronia still has some for $50 aswell.Boronia sold out of the 300w models (I got the last two). They still have the 200w model (with smaller connectors) for the same price as the 300w - $50 + $10 postage.

It keeps the water at a constant 29c but I didn't think it was big enough for a 4x2x2. No problem with my 5x2x2. Although, my tank has a fake rock background on the rear and both sides (1"-1.5" thick polystyrene) and 1" of polystyrene on the base. The only open surfaces are the top and front.

kalebjarrod
Thu Aug 19, 2004, 11:19 AM
heaters are like aircon's

smaller units can do the same job as a slighter bigger unit, they just use 3 times the power to do it!

i have a 500lt tank, i use 3 300watt heaters and one in my storage tank.

i like the stainless steel submersilble ones they look neat have a temp contol i can put where i want (like next to my temometer) and if they break i don't care cause they are that cheap i can afford to have a spare one in the cupboard.

weird
Thu Aug 26, 2004, 09:41 AM
Kewl Chris on you getting a 4x2x2, I just put in an order with xtreme a few days ago and will hopefully get it in a 2 weeks (hopefully less) ... dude ... man I am excited about the size of this in my entertainment room ... this is seriously bigger than most of my tanks ...

Anyway I only thought about heating and filtration 2 nights ago, putting in an order to http://www.aquaticlifeaquariums.com.au/, for a Fluval 404, which they have a great deal for atm, and 2x300W sera heaters ... they seem quite small in height ... which is important for me as I like to push them low in the tank, so I don't have to turn them off during water changes.

flukes
Thu Aug 26, 2004, 04:49 PM
Why not try the external hydor heaters? Work great with cannisters and then there is nothing inside the tank.

Holds temps well and makes things bit easier. Also no discus burns!!

weird
Mon Aug 30, 2004, 08:49 AM
I just got my heaters today from aquatic life aqauriums, the sera 300 ws, have black plastic guards that surround the heaters, protecting the fishes from heater burn ... kewl !

Chris McMahon
Mon Aug 30, 2004, 09:35 AM
Why not try the external hydor heaters? Work great with cannisters and then there is nothing inside the tank.

Holds temps well and makes things bit easier. Also no discus burns!!Do you know anyone who has stock of the 300w Hydor? Boronia sold out.