PDA

View Full Version : Kev does his discus round-up....

kevkoi
Wed Aug 18, 2004, 12:50 PM
Well, well... here's a story about a whinge I had to have. U see, it frustrates me to hear from a number of different people who speak to me about a certain vendor in Sydney who "supposedly" has some "extremely rare" Yellow discus which were/are going for $550ea.

So, as the story goes, those must be some super HOT fish (at that price!!), so I had to go and check them out myself. So there I was, taking a trip out there and in anticipation to see some discus that would knock my socks off... (Hey, how can u blame me, I've never seen a $550 discus sell thru SLS... would u believe it!).

I arrived, and asked the vendor about these $550 fish I was hearing about..... I got brought to this tank of 3inch yellow and white discus. They were nice (don't get me wrong.. the fish were healthy, up at the glass and most of their shapes were ok... ), but then the vendor started feeding me all sorts of pitches.... He claimed these were the "ONLY" ones in the country and there wern't anymore, and only he had them. That these fish came from Jack Wattley (ok, he didn't exactly get 'ol Jack's name right either!!! Bloody amature... :lol: ).... and he kept on going and going (I tuned out then.).

For starters.... as far as I know, Jack Wattley does NOT breed Yellow and whites (correct me if I'm wrong). Secondly, as far as I know there has been no importation from the USA of discus (AQIS might know better...) recently.

Anyway, to cut to the chase.... he's NOT the only one and they are definately NOT the only ones to have those "Yellow and Whites"!!! SLS have 6 LARGE 4" fish in quarantine atm and a whole lot of small ones coming up very soon!

4" Yellow and Whites.... EXCELLENT shape, young adults (Breeding size).... $190ea!! (EAT THAT!)

2-2.5" Yellow and Whites.... Excellent shape ..... $90ea!

Dee
Wed Aug 18, 2004, 01:24 PM
Hiya Kev,

I've been to a few LFS in melbourne with similar experiences. Always get a long sales pitch about rarity and lineage (sp) :oops: , hence the huge price tags. This is why i plan on getting my next Discus through SLS, based on what iv'e read on this forum about the quality of your fish, with realistic prices.

Let me know when those RSG F2's hit the floor ...errr so to speak !
:D

Cheers

D

kevkoi
Wed Aug 18, 2004, 01:27 PM
Oh gosh :oops: ... u'll love those RSG!! Good size and very nice.... VERY VERY nice.

Pics to follow when the fishies are more settled in.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, price is dependant on the "Rarity" and Lineage (ie pure).... but c'mon, at least if you want to put on that big price tag, be at the cutting edge!! Yellow and whites.... Errr, they were big in 1998.

Escher
Thu Aug 19, 2004, 01:28 AM
For that matter I have seen a 10 cm PB for sale at $520; and I wouldn't have paid 50 for it!!!! :evil:
There are a few sharks out there. That's why I love this place. It seems another world!

By the way guys, don't forget to vote for this site!
PS They are not paying me for sayng this. :wink:

sunshinediscus
Thu Aug 19, 2004, 09:45 AM
What a joke Kev....that is very sad.

I have imported yellow whites and they are not that expensive a fish from OS, $550 is just plain criminal. And to say they came from the states from none other than JW is total bs. A real pity some vendors have to stoop to those levels to try and sell discus.

kalebjarrod
Thu Aug 19, 2004, 11:06 AM
see what people do for a buck,

i feel a Deran Hinch coming on

SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME

give me thier name i love to go shopping and destory salesmen, hell thats my job.

weird
Thu Aug 19, 2004, 11:15 AM
Kev , SLS and Discus forums rock ... can you believe the rubbish some people say ... they pray on people being naive. I am sick of these 'sales' techniques. I avoid some LFS now after dealing with the sales people ... they make me agro.

DiscusMad
Thu Aug 19, 2004, 01:04 PM
I went to a place and seen a very nice 2.5 inc brow and they wanted $120 for it :shock:

Mattzilla
Sat Aug 21, 2004, 12:54 AM
i know the place you are talking about kev. the father of a friend of mine got stung by this guy. the guy sold him 6 ocean greens at about 2" for $250 each! he told him that they where the only ones in australia and that there would be none others of that strain available in australia for at least a year.

i almost died when my mate told me what happened. it just goes to show that you have to watch out for con artists out there. i went to sls the other day kev had a couple of nice round little healthy ocean greens at an extremely good price.... so this guy is definately full of it