PDA

View Full Version : So has anyone cracked the code on raising Ram fry yet?

Namn8r
Sun Jul 23, 2006, 08:50 AM
Perhaps one of our friends from a commercial facility o/s might like to drop some hints? Surely farm bred rams must be raised relatively easy in order to farm them?

Th0mas
Sun Jul 23, 2006, 10:20 AM
Perhaps one of our friends from a commercial facility o/s might like to drop some hints? Surely farm bred rams must be raised relatively easy in order to farm them?

It shouldn't be that bad, know someone up north (Qld) is breeding them commercially.

Thomas.

antwan
Mon Jul 24, 2006, 04:03 AM
Hey there, I may be able to help, I got a decent sized spawn raised up. What are you having trouble with?

Agent
Mon Jul 24, 2006, 09:58 AM
I have a post under 'Bolivian Butterfly Fry'. had no idea till I came home to see the fry, all I have done is get the food near them, the parents did the rest, maybe I jagged it or is it really that easy.
Rob...

Namn8r
Mon Jul 24, 2006, 01:08 PM
They just seen to start dropping off in numbers after several days free swimming. I usually keep them in a breeder net to start feeding liquid fry foods as well as bbs. Not sure whats happening unless the are getting picked off through the net by the apistos outside?? Will have to try raising them in their own tank!

Th0mas
Mon Jul 24, 2006, 01:19 PM
Breeding net is horrible unless you have thin layer of substrate or a second layer of netting material at the bottom to avoid fry being SUCK through the net (yes - it does happen).

Fry net is only good for seperation of bigger fry from other larger fish. Not really good for new born dwarf.

Thomas.

fishgeek
Mon Jul 24, 2006, 06:21 PM
the most common reasons for fry lose's are inappropriate water parameters, youg fry are much more sensitive to anything out of kilta

and lack of appropriat foods

i would assume that your water is being spoiled by the use of liquid foods fro fry, i tend to avoid these

if you cant raise live foods then try having a well established empty tank for the fry to go into, if it has been empty for some time natural food sources will develop
better yet hatch some brine shrimp

andrew