PDA

View Full Version : dorsal fin is rotting?

Nathan
Fri Jul 21, 2006, 08:34 AM
hey guys today i noticed that my blue diamond has got some damage to its dorsal fin, im not sure what its caused from, maybe got a fright an ran into something? but the blue diamond keeps is twitchin now an then suggesting somethin is iritaiting it. water params are

PH 6.8
ammo 0
nitrates 0
temp 28 (have been havn problems with heater its been fluctuating quite a bit, bought a new one about 15 mins ago)

the fish itself doesnt seem to be affected by it its still swimmin around as usual and eating as usual, no other discus seem to have been affected, theres no bullying going on that i have seen.

tonight is the first ive noticed it so it must have happened today.
i was thinkn of adding salt to help reduce bacteria an help healing but does this look like a disease?

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n203/discus123/Picture012.jpg

Benny
Fri Jul 21, 2006, 11:05 AM
A light salt treatment never hurts...

Only make sure u got no catfish that dislike salt in the water

DR.V
Fri Jul 21, 2006, 11:14 AM
I agree. Do a salt treatment.

Good luck.

Merrilyn
Fri Jul 21, 2006, 02:05 PM
Looks like the damage is confined to the leading edge of the dorsal fin. This happens when the fish scrapes against the top of the tank, or something rough. I've seen similar damage on fish that decided to go 'nuts' in the tank, and dash from one end to the other, bumping into anything in it's way.

True finrot looks more like the ends of the fins are melting away.

I agree that a salt treatment will help with healing. Try one level teaspoon per 40 litres of water. Use rock salt or cooking salt, not table salt.

Nathan
Sat Jul 22, 2006, 01:27 AM
thx for tha it does go skitso at feeding time