PDA

View Full Version : Correct settings for reef system? Any tricks?

Escher
Wed Aug 18, 2004, 12:15 AM
I've just setup my new tank and I am using a reef system for the first time. I'm still trying to fine-tune it :? Firstly it is quite noisy; it's like having a dishwasher on all the time :shock: with rhitmic moaning and groaning. Is there any trick to make it quiter? The weir is about 1/3 full including a tube with filter material around it as a pre-filter. Should I bother with it? Does it make any difference (both noise and quality wise)?
My next :?: is about the bioballs; is there a preferred ratio of bioballs that should be left out of the water for a better wet&dry functioning. At the moment 2/3 are immersed. :?
Any help greatly appreciated.
Gianluca :)

Proteus
Wed Aug 18, 2004, 12:27 AM
let me grab my digi cam and take some pics so I can help out...

as for the bio balls, to have an effective wet/dry system, only 1/4 to 1/3 should be submerged, or the bottom 2 layers...

Escher
Wed Aug 18, 2004, 12:40 AM
You are super quick! You must be glued to that screen. Much appreciated.

Proteus
Wed Aug 18, 2004, 01:00 AM
ok, here goes.

I think the ratio of bio-balls is one ball per litre...

effectively there should be 3-4 layers, first off a layer of fine grade filter wool, then a course layer (I use Eheim course filter pads (green nylon stuff)), then bio-balls, and if you want, a layer of ceramic noodles, cintered glass or matrix.

then there is the equipment, heaters (I have 2 in all my sumps/mini-reefs) pump, etc.

On my 95g/365L tank I only have some pvc pipe extending half way up to eliminate noise, as the turnover is 14 times per hour, the flow is such that there is little or no noise.

On my 180g/750L tank, I have a pond sponge fitted over a 10-15cm length of pvc pipe. The height of the sponge comes in handy, as it blocks up, the water level rises but is still being pre-filtered and it would take over a month to block this whole thing up. The sponge does 3 jobs, acts as a pre-filter, dampens the noise, and is a fry saver, as 90% of fry in that tank end up in the overflow... with the sponge there, they can stay there for an unspecified length of time as the water is clean, and food gets trapped in the sponge.

Escher
Wed Aug 18, 2004, 02:16 AM
Thaks for the info. The pics are a great help. I will make a few mods and let you know.
Thanks again
Gianluca :D :D :D

Bad Inferno
Thu Aug 19, 2004, 05:22 AM
Proteus,

Can I ask how you made the spray arm.......Looks great

kalebjarrod
Thu Aug 19, 2004, 11:13 AM
the spray is called a "rotating hub"

great, but pricey

but so are our fish so i guess thier cheap aren't they

Bad Inferno
Thu Aug 19, 2004, 11:40 AM
OH the old rotating HUB hey ! somebody gotta have made one of these. I saw a sprinkler head similar in Bunnings however did not seem big enough.

Anybody know where I can pick up some bioballs in vic. Does the volcanic rock really work as a replacment to bio balls.

kalebjarrod
Thu Aug 19, 2004, 12:12 PM
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=607&highlight=

Escher
Thu Aug 19, 2004, 10:08 PM
I raised the bioballs and added the other filter media. That has made a more even surface and smoother arm operation. As for the moaning and groaning it has now gone. It probably needed some time for the trapped air bubles to disappear.
Now it is just a matter of sorting the water splashing in the wier chamber. But I might leave as it should promote oxygenation.
The pump isn't the quitest though :(

kalebjarrod
Fri Aug 20, 2004, 02:34 AM
thier not that quite are they,

my father in law says they sound like a billygoat pissing in a tin can

Is it a slurping sound you hear? then it goes away for a little while, then it kicks in again?

Proteus
Fri Aug 20, 2004, 04:49 AM
They are very quiet.

(as quiet as any canister or hang on back filter)

I can sit in my lounge room which has a big tank on each side (one has a 24 x 18 x 18 sump, the other a 30 x 20 x 20) both with 4500+LPH pumps, and you wont even know they are on, apart from a water trickle noise from the overflows, thats it.

I got mine from Xtreme Aquariums, I am not to sure where they source them from, but they are solid, and reliable.

kalebjarrod
Fri Aug 20, 2004, 08:06 AM
you'll get nosies from your pipe from your tank to your sump

oversize the pipe and it will draw air and sound like someone pouring water from a height

undersize and you will have water on your floor

get it just right -- and the bear will want her porrige back LOL

:wink:

Proteus
Fri Aug 20, 2004, 11:06 AM
22-27mm going to the sump.

19mm return to the tank...

measured levels so if something goes wrong, the carpet stays dry...

already had 200L hit the ground a while back when a canister hookup came off and back siphoned half a tank...

kalebjarrod
Fri Aug 20, 2004, 11:30 AM
dropped the side out of a 50,000 ltr water tank one day

glad THAT wasn't in the lounge.

i,ve got 32mm from my tank to the filter, just over the top

sounds like an 8 year old in the cinema SLURP SLURP SLURP

got some ideas to fix it though

Escher
Sat Aug 21, 2004, 01:29 PM
I have a black ribbed hose; the ribs probably made the noise worse. But now it has gone. Just the humming from the pump itself.
I was trying to avoid using an airpump, but so far all my attempt at making a venturi attachment turned into a fontain!!!