PDA

View Full Version : Sick blue rams?

Namn8r
Thu Jul 20, 2006, 11:36 AM
My blue rams seem to keep developing white wholes on their heads and pop eye after a few months. This has happened with a bout 3 different lots of rams from different suppliers but stock apparently came from melbourne. The unusual thing is I also have a pair of Gold Rams with no problems. Can anyone help??

Th0mas
Thu Jul 20, 2006, 01:58 PM
My blue rams seem to keep developing white wholes on their heads and pop eye after a few months. This has happened with a bout 3 different lots of rams from different suppliers but stock apparently came from melbourne. The unusual thing is I also have a pair of Gold Rams with no problems. Can anyone help??

"Wholes" or holes?

HITH?? (Hole In The Head) is my guess - heximitas. If this is the case, flagyl should fix them if caught early.

Thomas.

Namn8r
Fri Jul 21, 2006, 11:46 AM
It develops first from what look like the pores on the fishes heads and gets bigger. The colour is white inside the holes, no traces of blood. Pop eye often develops as well. Where can i get the chemical from? Is it a ready to use aquarium pharmacetical?

fishgeek
Fri Jul 21, 2006, 01:21 PM
any chance of a photo?

what country are you in , metronidazol is easily available in the usa , prescription are required in bot australia and england

as an aside, i never even got an acknoledgement from waterlife about whether metronidazol was?/is in there tablet treatments

andrew

Th0mas
Fri Jul 21, 2006, 02:15 PM
It develops first from what look like the pores on the fishes heads and gets bigger. The colour is white inside the holes, no traces of blood. Pop eye often develops as well. Where can i get the chemical from? Is it a ready to use aquarium pharmacetical?

Without the photos, I think this description is pretty conclusive. Metronidazole is the correct drug to use against this infection and common dosage is 250mg per 40L is used amongst the community.

Flagyl is metronidazole for human treatment and you'll require a perscription to obtian from the chemist.

Thomas.

Namn8r
Sat Jul 22, 2006, 09:17 AM
Im In south australia< yes i think it must be whole in the head because its only the blue rams that develop it in my community tank. How does one go about obtaining a prescription for flagyl? do I go to my doctor and ask for some?

Namn8r
Sat Jul 22, 2006, 09:19 AM
Im In south australia< yes i think it must be whole in the head because its only the blue rams that develop it in my community tank. How does one go about obtaining a prescription for flagyl? do I go to my doctor and ask for some?

Namn8r
Sat Jul 22, 2006, 09:21 AM

sammigold
Sat Jul 22, 2006, 10:39 AM
a Vet should be able to help you with a prescription... you may have to take your fish in with you.... give them a ring first...

what do you feed them...as I have read that Hole in the head can be contributed to too much meat in the diet and water conditions and stress....(I could be wrong, and I am sure that someone will correct me if thats the case...please)

but if it is a recurring thing with rams from different LFS and seems to be happening within 3months from having bought them then I think you need to look at surrounding issues of feeding (maybe you are overfeeding) and maintenance (more waterchanges required maybe) etc.... as it is unlikely that they are all from the same place even if from Melbourne...Melbourne is a big city with lots of different fish wholesalers... JUst some suggestions... HTH

good luck

Benno_17
Tue Aug 01, 2006, 08:08 AM
where abouts in sa do u live? my friend has the same problem and i was wondering where u got em from?