PDA

View Full Version : Filters

Proteus
Tue Aug 17, 2004, 04:23 PM
Please feel free to comment on any filter you use.

Give Pro's & Con's and if possible some technical information (flow rates, size of unit, power consumption etc.)

thx

kalebjarrod
Thu Aug 19, 2004, 11:56 AM
total DIY unit,

2200lts per hour

unsure of my bio setup, needless to say over the top 600- 700 bio balls

specs are hard, i am always working on it further.

my system cost the same if not more that a canister.

but my system is totally hosued outside my house and water is feed back inside to my tank.

i can make a god awful mess on the ground and leave hoses running and my wife DOSE NOT CARE.

heating in winter is harder,

but i love it

maddyfish
Thu Aug 26, 2004, 06:48 PM
I have a Marineland Penguin 125 that I have had for about a year. I have had no problems at all. I believe that 125 refers to gallons per hour, plus it has a bio-wheel. It does a good job on a 15 gallon Convict Cichlid tank.

jamesmc
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 03:07 AM
Eheim cannister 2213- very good, quiet, but expensive. Parts are also expensive. After some time ceramic shaft will begin to rattle. Double taps makes cleaning easy. Like alot of cannisters initial priming a bit of a hassle, but a good workhorse

Aquaclear mini through to 300. Quiet, durable and easy to run. Sponges are tough. Priming for me isn't that easy. Have to top up with water in the top. Good choice if you want a HOB. Otherwise cheaper optionsmight just be as effective, given their simplicity.

Jebao cannister 1200litre. Brilliant brilliant brilliant. It's cheap (I paid $115 I think), has four large media containers and super quiet. It's the same design exactly as the aqua ones',but my understanding they have a different pump. Only drawback compared to the AO's is that it doesn't come with any media. I just wished thgey made these filters with double tap connectors. I haven't measured the actual flow rate.

Aqua one cannister 1200 litre. _very good. See above.

James

discussushi
Wed Oct 27, 2004, 01:06 PM
HI,

Nothing beats a trickle filtre (cant stand canister filtres) there a pain to clean and never do the job of the volume stated.

I will always try and use a trickle, its easy and always reliable.

Additionaly i find a sheet of plastic with holes in it, (this also alows u to place some filter wool on top), works far better than an expensive spinning spray arm.

DiscusMad
Wed Oct 27, 2004, 01:30 PM
total DIY unit,

2200lts per hour

unsure of my bio setup, needless to say over the top 600- 700 bio balls

specs are hard, i am always working on it further.

my system cost the same if not more that a canister.

but my system is totally hosued outside my house and water is feed back inside to my tank.

i can make a god awful mess on the ground and leave hoses running and my wife DOSE NOT CARE.

heating in winter is harder,

but i love it

have you tryed to line the set up with foam rubber that might keep alot of the heat in

weird
Wed Oct 27, 2004, 02:04 PM
Hi Proteus,
You know I am a fuval nut, started with a Eheim canister classic, but after buying my first fluval, having consequently buying another ...whotever design problem someone ever complained about has seemed to be fixed in consequent models ... people seem to ignore the fact that good companies take complaints onboard to fix future models ... anyhow I am interested in cheaper canisters but from reading trickle filters seem to be the bomb ... especially for large tanks or multiple tanks ... however why do I like fluval ?

1. Clear and easy to read doco, the manual was easy to follow and informative.

2. They are a breeze to swap filter material due to compartamental design.

NOTE: Aslong as you know if you are doing major filter work to drain the fluval of its water content , then prime it, before you power restart ... they restart like a charm.

I hear people dish fluval because they quote other peoples past problems, but speaking from 9 months experience with them, yes granted not long, but atleast with current models, they to me are great.

jim
Thu Oct 28, 2004, 01:13 AM
My first one is some cansister that is made in China, it leaks and gave me lot's of problem.
Then I bought Prime 30 ..every thing is good..but I found it bit noisy and I don't like the cansister filter without basket..harder to clean up. ..
I am sick of cheap cansister filters so I just order a Eheim wet/dry 2229 two days ago. I heard a lot of good things about that filter so I can not wait to get it this weekend.

jim
Thu Oct 28, 2004, 01:20 AM
they just called me that the supplier don't have that filter in stock. I will have to wait at least 3 weeks. Has anyone using Eheim wet/dry filter?Hope it's worth it..