PDA

View Full Version : Breeding info stickies

Noddy65
Thu Jul 20, 2006, 09:14 AM
Ok everyone. Now that we seem to be getting some breeding going.
Heres an idea.
Could we make a sticky thread that contains all the details of the tanks.
Maybe each sticky could have a different species (yes it would be alot of them).
Include in the info: tanks size, tank mates, diet, water parameters, substrate, nesting pots, water change frequency, additives, how often fed etc etc etc.
I know I was having realy problems until I started doing a few things that Thomas is doing and I now have eggs/fry from everything except trifasciata.

What do people think?

Mike

fishgeek
Thu Jul 20, 2006, 09:30 AM
sounds pretty good though as you probably are seeing once you understand the basics these fish are all pretty easy to keep and spawn

appropriate water , generally soft and acidic (pH needs differ from neutral all the way down to 5)
good feeding , usually some form of live foods will start the fish spawning

prehaps an increase in temperature , upto 28 for apisto's and higher for the ram's

i have found that in my mini system supplying appropriate water and routine feeds my fish have kind of stalled , so sometimes i think a change in water scenery or such is useful to kick start those stubborn fish, ie break up your routine

andrew

Th0mas
Thu Jul 20, 2006, 09:33 AM
O
I know I was having realy problems until I started doing a few things that Thomas is doing and I now have eggs/fry from everything except trifasciata.

What do people think?

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the credit - I really don't remember what I've told you so if things are working - it must be good.

I've had trifasciata spawn but never had any hatch. This is a clear water species and probably don't like pH too low so the peat usage need to be restricted/controlled.

The idea is great for the record. But will require some effort from few individuals to support.

Thomas.

Noddy65
Thu Jul 20, 2006, 09:35 AM
Yeh...I agree Andrew
Apistos are still kinda new here, people are only really getting in to them now so theres only a few real nuts.
It would also be nice to get peoples ideas on stimulating them to spawn, Im convinced that my trip away for 3 weeks during which the diet was flake food and no water changes and then me coming back, water changes and live food has really got them going.

Im inclined to trial the same technique and see if it gets them going when they get bored with all the breeeding.

Mike

Ben
Thu Jul 20, 2006, 01:27 PM
What do people think?

sounds like a great idea!!

How can i help?

Ben

Proteus
Thu Jul 20, 2006, 01:34 PM
If something can be put together that will be useful to others, stickies are no problem at all...

Down the track we will probably have a few subforums, so breeding info can be kept in one specific area

Hassles
Tue Jun 17, 2008, 05:46 PM
My Apistogramma cacatouides (German double reds) have recently spawned for me (Yesterday). I acquired these fish about a month ago and placed them into a 60cm x 30cm c 30cm tank with a sponge filter and some medium sized red gravel. I placed two 4 inch pieces of PVC tubing across the top of which I placed a small slab of granite. A large peice odf volcanic rock and a few straggling pieces odf Ludwigia. I also placed a ceramic cave into this environment. My PH neutral tap water fell to a little over 6 and they bred.

Food include pure spirulina flake, Cyclop-Eeze, Hikari'd micro pellets, micro wafers and cichlid complete, live & freeze dried blackworms.

I now also add microworm for the fry.

I all honesty I was stunned to see the fry. I was maturing these fish (in quarantine) for a much larger tank being set-up. Cheekly little buggers!

BigDaddyAdo
Wed Jun 18, 2008, 05:12 AM
Why did your Ph drop?

Ado

Hassles
Fri Jun 20, 2008, 09:44 PM
Why did your Ph drop?

Ado

Blackwater extract - I thought they'd be happier

Hassles
Sun Aug 17, 2008, 02:10 PM
O - I believe that the small slab of granite I had in the tank was responsible for the PH drop. Its very slow to caise the drop but....nothing else "really" explains it. I replaced this wirh slate and will hopefully breed again at PH neuteral