PDA

View Full Version : 1 Discus Died Bloated another one not eating.

JQW
Thu Jul 20, 2006, 09:08 AM
Recently I bought 7 young discus (5~6cm) for my 4ft tank. 2 melon, 5 turk
Everything was fine for the first week.
Last night, after feeding one of the melon discus seemed really bloated, and it got worse after a while.
Found him dead this morning, extremely bloated.
Today when I fed this morning, one of the turk isn't eating as usual.
He seems still interested in the food, still swims up to the food but not touching anything.

Temp: 32 degrees
pH: 6.8
NH3: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: unknown, but most likely to be low

Water change 3x10% weekly with pre-aged and heated water

Please help me!!!
Oh...I feed them Sera Discus Granular Food.

Nathan
Thu Jul 20, 2006, 10:06 AM
try adding epsom salts, they act as a laxative, this may help pass anything in there systems. the dosage is 1tbsp per 40 litres.

other more experienced ppl will be able to help an im sure it wont be to long until they have an answer for u, in the meantime try the salts.

an best of luck

Merrilyn
Thu Jul 20, 2006, 12:57 PM
How long has your tank been set up, and was it fully cycled before you added the discus?

Sounds like your fish suffered from an internal blockage of some kind, but must have been quite severe for to happen so quickly. Roundworms can cause a blockage like that, especially if your fish have just gorged on dry food. It may help if you soak the granules for half an hour before feeding, but I'd also be thinking about worming your fish with levamisole to remove any worm burden.

JQW
Thu Jul 20, 2006, 01:39 PM
Thanks guys!!!

The tank has been completely established, I had other fish in the tank for quite a while now, about a year.
Just took other fish out to make this a discus only tank, reduce the chance of disease.

I suspected it was something internal.
Where would I be able to get the medication for the worms?
Also, if the granular food aren't the best for discus, what do you suggest I feed them?
What do you feed your discus?

Do you know the cause for such internal blockage? How can I prevent it.

I have some frozen community dinner in the fridge, will that be alright as regular food for the discus?
While it does leak phosphate into the water, would it be a issue?

Regards,
Jim

Merrilyn
Fri Jul 21, 2006, 01:45 PM
Levamisole is a worming agent for nematodes (roundworms, pin worms and thread worms). They can build up in the gut and cause a blockage. All young fish should be wormed if they show signs of a bloated stomach after eating or if you see small thread like worms protruding from the anus. See this thread for more information on Levamisole. http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4547

Granular foods are good for discus, but should be mixed with other foods as well, such as frozen foods like Brine Shrimp, Beefheart, Mysis Shrimp and Frozen Bloodworms. This will add some roughage to the diet and help prevent constipation.

Just as with humans, a varied diet is the best for all round good health.

sammigold
Sat Jul 22, 2006, 12:24 AM
JQW, if you need to get levamisole they sell Big "L" pig and poultry wormer at Greensborough Grainstore... hope that help... noticed you were in viewbank that not far from Greensborough is it??

JQW
Sun Jul 23, 2006, 07:49 AM
Hi,

I think Big L's is in Keysborough.:D

Havn't got time to go that far, so I bought some Aquamaster Fluke and Tapeworm Tablets.
Dosed as per instructed, one tablet per 20L of water.
Repeat after 7 days.

Should I cut off feeding during treatment?

Regards,
James

Merrilyn
Mon Aug 07, 2006, 02:33 AM
The Fluke and Tapeworm tablets are a different thing altogether. They treat only tapeworm and not roundworm.

If you had tapeworm you would see the fish passing segments of white egg packets. It's fairly unusuall in discus. More likely is roundworm, threadworm and pinworm. All of these are called nematodes and need specific treatment.

The product to use is Big L Pig and Poultry wormer, which contains levamisole.

sammigold
Wed Aug 09, 2006, 06:22 AM
Hi,

I think Big L's is in Keysborough.:D

:D The Manufacturer is in Keysborough, I was just letting you know of a Grainstore in Greensborough that sells the Product "Big L" pig and poultry wormer. :D they are on Main street Greensborough.