PDA

View Full Version : new to dwarfs

leamos
Mon Jul 17, 2006, 12:29 PM
I'm currently in the process of setting up 2 dwarf tank both 2fts with HOB filters, tanks are going to have the carbon removed and replaced with a handful of peat in a stocking, tanks will contain a piece of driftwood, spawning pots and heaps and heaps of plants. Sound good? I'm planning on keeeping a pair of A agassizii and a pair of cockatoos. Will the peat be enough to lower ph and hardness suitablily for breeding or will i need to also use blackwater extract? thanks for any help

I'm in townsville by the way

Th0mas
Mon Jul 17, 2006, 12:36 PM
Welcome to our addiction (ahh - hobby).

For aggie and cacs, you shouldn't need to go for the black water extract. Peat will do more than enough of a job, and don't use too much of it otherwise the pH will drop through the floor.

The cacs are more than happy near the neutral conditions, while the aggie is slightly acidic to moderate.

A 2 ft is plenty of room for a pair, they should be really happy.

If you're in Sydney and needed direction to get some dwarf cichlids, just drop in here and there should be some quick response from a few of us addicts around.

Cheers,
Thomas.

leamos
Mon Jul 17, 2006, 01:15 PM
Funny u should say that i'm in sydney now for a few weeks, visiting the olds while on uni holidays

Th0mas
Mon Jul 17, 2006, 01:41 PM
Arh - you're the person on apistogramma.com, right? Or is it just co-incident that you're from Townsville as well.

Welcome aboard. The apistogramma.com is great - some of the oversea experts do drop in here every now and then. But most fish/prices/availability over there can be a bit difficult for us down here.

Cheers,
Thomas.

leamos
Tue Jul 18, 2006, 01:47 PM
tell me about it, once i get my setups ready i'm going to get SLS to send me a few pairs. oh and yeh thats me on apistogramma.com

Robdog
Tue Jul 18, 2006, 02:27 PM
It's a good forum over there especially if you have fish that you can't identify. Mike Wise is a genius when it comes to IDing apisto's.

That's not to say we don't know anything here of course. :wink:

Good luck with your setups and let us know what you end up with.