PDA

View Full Version : DIY stand

weird
Tue Aug 17, 2004, 07:27 AM
Any information appreciated =)

flukes
Thu Aug 19, 2004, 02:52 AM
Did up a design for any sized tank, you will need too find measurements for which ever tank you are designing it for.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/flukes/stand.JPG

Merrilyn
Thu Aug 19, 2004, 09:54 AM
Great job Flukes - as usual. Cheers. 8)

weird
Thu Aug 19, 2004, 11:30 AM
Flukes ... you rock ! Thanks mate I might put in order from North Shore timber as they deliver, they seem relative cheap. I checked out a demolition recycling place, Kimbriki Tip in Terrey Hills, Sydney but the timber looked abit nackered for a nice aquarium stand.

Someone a work suggested I check out Reverse Garbage in Marrickville but I getting tired running around all over sydney.

weird
Thu Aug 19, 2004, 11:39 AM
One quick question, for a 4 ft tank, would you need a supporting beam to hold the middle of the tank ? One or two ? What join would you suggest.

I might add some sites I bookmarked previously ...

http://freshaquarium.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.garf.org%2Fstand .html

http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/75g_stand/index.shtml

flukes
Thu Aug 19, 2004, 02:37 PM
What do you mean support for the middle of the tank? Do you mean more cross beams?? You only need 2 at each end. I have 4x18x18's sitting on 2 cross beams and its fine. Putting in more might make the tank sit off balance increasing the chance of cracking.

HTH

weird
Thu Aug 19, 2004, 11:48 PM
Yes I meant more cross beams.

I will take your word for it that it enough support =) Thank you.

flukes
Fri Aug 20, 2004, 01:46 AM
go too a LFS even 6 ft tanks only have 2 crossbeams, its not because of the costs either. Once those extra crossbeams are added the tank must be balance over 3-4 beams which is a lot harder than 2.

But yeah 2 will hold it. Main thing for strength is your posts, get a good timber.

nicklee88
Mon Sep 27, 2004, 03:37 AM
hey,

great DIY plan, when i get some spair time i will have to give it a go,

Nick

kkiu
Tue Jan 11, 2005, 04:27 AM
Sorry for bringing back an old post. But...

I plan to one day make a tank stand too.

The design by flukes seems good and I will probably use it. But just a few questions before I jump in.

I'm worried about the glass at the bottom of the tank, since it would take most of the weight. Because theres no cross beam in the middle, would the thickness of the bottom have to be thicker? (say for a 3*2*2 tank)
(Feel insecure since the tank is only supported at the two sides and not the whole border of the tank.)

Also, what about the styrofoam you always see? would it mean that it is only needed at the points where the tank is supported?

kalebjarrod
Tue Jan 11, 2005, 09:53 AM
if you get the whole idea of the surporting beams together just add a layer of plywood over your effected areas, this will give you some piece of mind

styrafoam is always a must :wink:

Benny
Wed Jul 20, 2005, 10:46 AM
flukes the pic doesnt work any more could you please PM the pic to me or re post it

kinezo
Fri Jul 22, 2005, 11:12 AM
hi all..
ive just made up a stand today.. and saw this post last nite.. so when i was making it i took a few pics to show what i did and how i did it..

well its not flash hot looking.. but it does the job.. its 2 tier stand...
hope it helps.... i took 11 pics in total...

too bad it wasnt as quick as taking 11 pics....

i made a 4ft x 18 x 18 stand......

well..... i hope ive helped someone....
cheers
kinezo

kinezo
Fri Jul 22, 2005, 11:16 AM
continue

kinezo
Fri Jul 22, 2005, 11:23 AM
continues.....

kinezo
Fri Jul 22, 2005, 11:30 AM
last pics...

well in total it cost me about $40 for both stands... in material cost...
and just alot of labour lol

it took me about 3 hours each stand from strach.. taht is cutting wood and putting together..
well hope i've help someone..
have a good day

cheers
kinezo

ctvu
Fri Jul 22, 2005, 11:33 AM
Wow! What a nice job!!! and you are such a handy-man, we really appreciate that.

ctvu

weird
Fri Jul 22, 2005, 03:06 PM
Great job kinezo !

DiscusMan
Fri Jul 22, 2005, 08:23 PM
Sow where is a photo with that tank setup on it?

Wayne

kalebjarrod
Fri Jul 22, 2005, 09:06 PM
very nice work

love to see the tanks on the stands

Q. with no surport wood/strips running around the base of the stand, does the stand have "Flex" in it?

kinezo
Fri Jul 22, 2005, 11:43 PM
hey all...

WAYNE : i just made the stand last nite.. hehe i will put pics up when i have the tanks all on it...

RYAN: the legs on the bottom are veru thick.. packed with 2 pieces of wood so it doesnt flex at all.... cause its held together with the bolts and screws, piercing both the legs and the frame.. theres no chance of it going anywhere...

also when the tanks are on it.. its very heavy.. and theres no ways it going anywhere...

cheers
kinezo

DiscusMan
Sat Jul 23, 2005, 12:58 AM
I was jsut a bit concerned that the top tank is only being held up by the bolts and the bottom tank is well supported by the legs to the floor. So in essence the only thing holding the weight is the wood between the top of the bolts and teh bottom of the tank.

That is why i am wondering if tanks have been placed on it. I perhaps like to see another support piece placed under the top tank for extra comfort but if it holds ( for at elast 20 years ) then no prbs.

Wayne

goldenpigeon
Sat Jul 23, 2005, 01:22 AM
kinezo is that 1 exactly like ur other 1? andr u gonna put 2 4fters in it this time or a 4fter and 2 2fters?

kinezo
Sat Jul 23, 2005, 02:51 AM
heya Wayne.....

yeah ive made a few stands exactly the same b4.. and i have one with the same support as this one also.. and its holding two 2ft x 18 x 18 with 10mm thick base atm with 4ft underneath and its no probs...

so thast y ive gone and made another one same same...
no probs at all

JUNIOR: yeah 1 have 2 4ft stand now mate... one is gonna hold two 2fts and one 4ft and the other will hold two 4fts

kinezo

kinezo
Thu Sep 22, 2005, 10:31 AM
hello all...

its been a while.. but ive got it up and running now.. this is what it looks like

cheers

kinezo

goldenpigeon
Thu Sep 22, 2005, 10:37 AM
lookin good dude :D

lets c some more pics :D

Ben
Thu Sep 22, 2005, 12:39 PM
Looking great kinezo!!!!
what are those fish in the bottom tank??
lol

Ben

kinezo
Thu Sep 22, 2005, 12:41 PM
thanks guys

i ahve a spare one .. u can just see a bit of it on the left of the picture.. will get some more tanks for that stand soon

Ben... those are juvi ocean greens...

kinezo

blackwater spa
Thu Sep 22, 2005, 01:05 PM
Great job! The set up looks really good! Well done!!

I'm not really a handyman so perhaps you can give some details on all the parts you need, the kind of wood to buy at the hardware store and any tools which are necessary?

I'm also wondering if there is enough room to manoeuvre above the lower tank to do tasks such as cleaning the tank, catching the fish and introducing new fish, etc.

kinezo
Thu Sep 22, 2005, 01:38 PM
blackwaterspa...

its not that hard to build at all.. but i can give u tips and stuff no probz..

also.. the top of the lower tank.. it has enuff room for me to put my arm in and net fish and float bags etc etc no problems..

the only down side to it is that i cant put breeding cones or driftwood pieces in unless i put them in b4 i put the top tanks on....

other than that its been working really well

kinezo

nicholas76
Sat Sep 24, 2005, 06:52 AM
could have sworn they are blue diamonds??

hehehe

show us some new pics

Ben
Sat Sep 24, 2005, 12:23 PM
Nope..... they are F1 high fin scorpion ocean greens for sure Nick!!

you cant tell????

lol

nicholas76
Sun Sep 25, 2005, 05:09 AM
aaaah i was about to say that.

we are lucky to have that kind of quality in australia! or are these from japan ??

lmao

axelfaz
Sat Oct 01, 2005, 12:08 PM
nice job mate

mcloughlin2
Sun Oct 02, 2005, 12:55 AM
Lookin good.......... :wink:

kinezo
Mon May 01, 2006, 09:46 AM
hi all...

jus thtought i'd update a pic of the stands..
new set up and new fishes

still holding up strong hehe

kinezo

kinezo
Tue May 02, 2006, 08:39 AM
pics

kswong34
Wed May 03, 2006, 11:07 AM
Hi,

I always make my own stand.

http://community.webshots.com/user/coryfan

Cheers :wink: