PDA

View Full Version : Silver Sharks?

Blybo
Thu Jul 13, 2006, 05:46 AM
Can Silver sharks go with discus? I know they can get quite big but they are docile.
Tank is 270l with
6 juv discus,
10 cardinals,
9 rumy nose
3 emerald corys,
pair apisto vetjeita (sp?)
pair kribs
2 SAE
2 Angels
2 common & 1 Peppermint bristlenose

Thanks for looking

Palpatine
Thu Jul 13, 2006, 09:04 AM
Silver sharks are not docile. When they get big enough to start fitting neons in their mouths they will eat them. Then they'll get bigger. A LOT bigger. I had one until last year that was over a foot long and rounder than your arm. The only thing he was happy living with was an oscar. The oscar wasnt very happy with that deal though.

Oh, and I hope you dont like plants. He'll certainly eat all of them.

eatoff182
Thu Jul 13, 2006, 10:31 AM
hahah..

my silver shark was really quite docile.. then he got big enouhg and started polishing off the neons so yeah! he never ate my plants though, it was always the gouramis that did that.

Ben
Thu Jul 13, 2006, 12:20 PM
bit too flighty with discus i think. Not saying it cant be done though...

dcarmau
Thu Jul 13, 2006, 12:37 PM
Ask Proteus, he's got some serious Silver Sharks (aka Bala Sharks)

Robdog
Thu Jul 13, 2006, 01:56 PM
I got rid of my Bala's so I could get discus. Every time there was a drop of food in the tank the bala's would get hypo and slap each other with their tails and chase frantically around the tank. Didn't think the discus would stand a chance

Blybo
Thu Jul 13, 2006, 11:57 PM
Thanks guy's,
Looks like I'll give them a miss then :lol:

weird
Sat Jul 22, 2006, 02:11 PM
Blybo

Its funny all fish have different personalities, I have one troublesome adult bala shark, that was causing another bala sharks fins to fray with stress (which has now stopped and gone back to normal) because he was so agitated, that i dropped it within my discus tank, its funny, this guy has turned into a discus and not jumping around anymore.

The discus don't seem to mine the bala shark one bit, although he does move faster and has an advantage eating ... other than that they are an ok mix. But I agree with other comments, discus are best with discus.

Proteus
Sat Jul 22, 2006, 09:30 PM
As per what has already been said... they get big... VERY big, all 6 of mine are over 1 ft in length and still growing.

They are also very very fast movers and if the tank is not set up in the right location can be quite skittish. (during tank maintenance it is not uncommon for one of my guys to knock lids off, or if the lids are off, go flying 6 - 10ft across the room - they are powerful when it comes to going airborne).

In regards to eating smaller fish, in all honesty I think that is a bit of a myth. Whilst I cant comment for other people, Balas primarily prefer a vegetable based diet and in 10 years of keeping these guys have never lost another fish to them (this is my second batch of Silvers). But every fish has its own personality and some may like the occassional fresh treat....

Mulisha
Sat Jul 22, 2006, 11:49 PM
my 16cm Pictus Catfish eats the odd neon tetra but my friend had silver sharks in his 3ft tank and they grow so dam fast and like proteus said they do tend to go very hypo at feeding and then can jump out of the tank as well his tank is in his room and he heard one of the lids of his tank get popped off and the sound of fish on carpet :lol:

He ended up selling the fish to LFS and got some new smaller ones 8-)

Peaches
Wed Jul 26, 2006, 06:43 AM
I've had my three Balas for about a year now. They get along fine with the Discus I have and the Gourami. The Discus pretty much push them out of the way to eat. They know their place :wink: