PDA

View Full Version : Miricles do happen

fishyfishyfish
Wed Jul 12, 2006, 05:43 AM
I had a big clear out of plants in my community tank on the weekend.
Last night I noticed my rainbow fish chasing something. On closer inspection It was after a baby cardinal tetra about 2mm long. I find this quite amazing that Cardinal tetras would breed in a community tank with Discus, Dwarf Cichlids and others in a 200L tank.
Has anyone else been able to breed cardinals or other teras in their tanks?

Jeff :D

TeeFM
Wed Jul 12, 2006, 07:23 AM
Not in my tank .... :(

Blybo
Thu Jul 13, 2006, 04:54 AM
I'm no expert but I thought cardinals were impossible to breed and all available are wild caught.

goldenpigeon
Thu Jul 13, 2006, 05:31 AM
no most cardinals you seei n the LFS are captive bred, they just arent easy to breed. its very understandable that your cardinals would breed mate as the eggs are light sensitive so they would have laid them in the plants. you must have had a pretty heavily planted tank i take it?

BTW i have never bred cardinals and only know a little on breeding them so correct me if im wrong lol

Cuong
Thu Jul 13, 2006, 05:47 AM
I thought most cardinals in LFS were just scooped from the Amazon?

Here's a link to some guy breeding cardinals and glowlight tetras
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/photo-album/31255-crshadows-tetra-breeding-project-56k-warning.html

Dave76
Thu Jul 13, 2006, 05:50 AM
I've had lemons & rummynose breed before in my comm tank - not cardinals tho - good job :D

sharn
Thu Jul 13, 2006, 10:02 AM
we have a importer in our country breeding them. he isnt mass producing them but i thought actually getting some fry was really good hehe. congrats on the bubba, you need to find a suitable name for him now- perhaps something like lucky? :lol:

fishyfishyfish
Fri Jul 14, 2006, 04:22 AM
My Tank was badly overgrowen, I should have cleared it out sooner so it must have been the low light factor that prompted them to breed.
The other factor is that I have peat moss in my filter and I change half the water every week but only tap water not aged or RO water.

Ps: I have still only found one bubba but its still getting around.

Jadels
Fri Jul 14, 2006, 08:37 AM
name it nemo!!!