PDA

View Full Version : Refugium

Tryhard
Mon Aug 16, 2004, 09:03 AM
Does anyone use theses (themses Gollum :lol: ) as an advance filter I am starting to see them pop up in publications I have been reading ie miracle mud filter etc and its something I havent seen before :roll: so if any one has any ideas ? lets hear them . and would one be benificial to a Discus Aquarium ?

tanks319
Mon Aug 16, 2004, 11:33 AM
It is used mainly in reef tanks.Its main aim is to get rid of skimmers etc.So you can have a natural setup only(deep sand beds ets)As far as i know you can not get miricle mud in australia as customs and aqis will not allow it in the country.As far as working for discus tanks i wouldnt think so.

Tryhard
Mon Aug 16, 2004, 10:13 PM
I thought that may be the case - every thing I have seen about them is in relation to reef tanks :? .

flukes
Tue Aug 17, 2004, 01:58 AM
There is a similar thing that i have seen discus keepers do, but you cant really call it a Refugium. Basically a 3rd tank is used after the sump which is basically just for growing plants, reason being to reduce nitrates. Most would say well if your going to have plants in the system they might aswell be in the tank with the fish, but this way the tank is easy to clean and you still get the benefit of the plant nitrates absorbtion.
Not really anything like a refugium but you might see these around on other sites. Personally its alot of effort and cost for something that can be changed with a simple water change.