PDA

View Full Version : What eats BBA?

Nathan
Tue Jul 11, 2006, 08:19 AM
as the topic states im wondering if there is anything that eats BBA that is still compatible with discus?

thanx guys

mcloughlin2
Tue Jul 11, 2006, 09:51 AM
Im guessing BBA=black beard algae?

If so i thinks its ottos or the real siamese flying fox that eats it.

Nathan
Tue Jul 11, 2006, 10:11 AM
yea black beard algea

SandyLynne
Tue Jul 11, 2006, 08:36 PM
It was recommended to me to use Seachem Flourish Excel
Worked a treat

http://www.seachem.com/products/product_pages/FlourishExcel.html

fishgeek
Wed Jul 12, 2006, 06:55 AM
i dont believe oto's do, or at least mine didn't
i treated some directly with peroxide , it turned a nice red/purple colour and then they seemed more interested in eating some

i also have a tank with it covering everything that i am doing a trial on red cherry shrimp and their ability with it
not sure that discus wouldn't eat shrimp though

generally i think manual removal and then trying to sort out you nitrogen potassium balance to slow regrowth
you probably will need to add something for plant growht so they can out compete the algae
search thinks like pmdd and redfield ratio to get more idea's

andrew

Nathan
Wed Jul 12, 2006, 10:58 AM
Worked a treat

this has also become quite dnagerous to discus in some cases so i preffer not to use chemicals.

you probably will need to add something for plant growht so they can out compete the algae

the tank has a lot of fast growing plants an i cant really fit anymore, i have some wisteria in there an it just goes beserk everything grows so fast.

i think ill go with the siamese flying foxes

Nathan
Wed Jul 12, 2006, 10:59 AM
Worked a treat

this has also become quite dnagerous to discus in some cases so i preffer not to use chemicals.

the tank has a lot of fast growing plants an i cant really fit anymore, i have some wisteria in there an it just goes beserk everything grows so fast.

i think ill go with the siamese flying foxes

Phlipper
Wed Jul 12, 2006, 12:32 PM
The Flying Foxes or Siamese Algae Eater will do a reasonable job, get two or three. But the Oto's do an even better job.............the Foxes tend to get a bit lazy at it when they become adults, but the Oto's graze on for ever. Neither fish may remove every trace of the algae, but will keep it under control...........both these fish have been saviours to my aquariums.

fish_r
Wed Jul 12, 2006, 03:11 PM
If so i thinks its ottos or the real siamese flying fox that eats it.

as stated make sure u get the "real" siamensis algae eaters "small ones"
cause there are flying foxes that look very similar and wont eat ur algae
read here :
http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/siamensis.html
i have 5 in my 5 footer and they do a good job :)

fishgeek
Wed Jul 12, 2006, 07:12 PM
sorry nathan i meant some form of nutrients to correct the imbalance that allows the algae to grow

depending on what is rate imiting in your system, all out waters are different, though i would look at adding potassium or other trace elemnets if you do not fetilise at present