PDA

View Full Version : Looks like i got a pair ...

Dee
Sun Aug 15, 2004, 03:05 PM
Hi All :D

I bought 2 Juvi Red Spotted SS's a while back, as well as some red turq's. Over the past few weeks the 2 RS SS's have been courting and doing thier thing. i woke up yesterday to see they had laid eggs on my driftwood and where gaurding them with vigor hehe :D , anyway woke up today and they had all been eaten. I expected this, my questions are ....

Should i give these two thier own tank ? i dont really want to get into breeding (just yet anyway hehehe :D ). I would set them up in a BB 3ft tank (150L). They havnt been confirmed yet, so i will wait till i see some fertilized eggs before i do that anyway.

Would the other tank mates be happier with them in a seperate tank ? the RS SS's arnt overly agressive, but the others just hang at the other end of the tank staying out of the way of the RS SS's at the the other end. would they be happier by them selves ?

If i decided to have a go at breeding these guys, can i use a "brother and sister" ? they both came from the same batch. Or would i get a large number of inbred mutants ?

Thanks for taking the time to read this large post !!! :)

They both seem very young to be laying eggs, they are big, but still just Juvi's about 9 months old i think. anyway thought it would be a fair while longer before i saw pairs and even eggs, discus always cease to amaze me hehehe :D :D :D

Cheers

Dee

Mattzilla
Sun Aug 15, 2004, 11:15 PM
first of all great news!!
i would leave them in the community tank for a while and let them practice a few times. you said they are young so it will probably take a few goes to get it right. this will also confirm them as a pair if you get wrigglers. once they get to the wrigglers stage (if they don't get eaten every time) then i'd give them their own tank. i don't think it's a bad thing if they are brother and sister....i'm not really sure on this one.

keep us updated.

flukes
Mon Aug 16, 2004, 01:54 AM
Discus inbreeding is how we get the discus we have today. Not a big concern breeders looking for a specific pattern something cross mother with child.

Dee
Tue Aug 17, 2004, 02:16 PM
Hi Matt and Flukes :D

Thanks for the advice, i'll keep them in the community tank for now and let them get a routine going on. i will keep you posted !

Thanks again :D

D

Dee
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 01:56 PM
Hey all,

Got home tonight from work, and have a bunch of eggs on the filter intake this time :roll: hehe, the parents seem to be "breathing" on the eggs ? ive never seen that behaviour before ? :)

anyway just a quick update :D

Thanks to all !

Cheers

D

flukes
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 02:02 PM
I dont think they are breathing the just get close and fan the eggs with their fins.
Id wait till you get wrigglers in the community tank before you decide too seperate them. That way you know they are a pair and have a plenty of practice for their honeymoon suite.

Dee
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 02:39 PM
Hi Flukes :)

yeah im going to let them hang out in the community for a while, at least tell they confirm they are a pair... still trying to get the missus used to the idea of a breeding tank :lol:

Cheers

D

flukes
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 02:42 PM
hehe, might have too add a extension of a new master bedroom too the house just too make her feel equal!! :wink:

Dee
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 02:49 PM
haha :lol:

ive promised her a holiday in Hong Kong at the end of the year :D so ill use that as leverage for now :wink: i hear they got some nice discus in Hong Kong, ill have to check it out.

Ill save the promise of extensions for when i wanna get grow out tanks and a 8x4x4 Show Tank ! :D

Cheers

D

flukes
Tue Aug 24, 2004, 03:02 PM
heheh gonna need to write these down so i can use them..

Dee
Mon Aug 30, 2004, 03:50 PM
Hey again,

Just another update, they laid again today (3rd time). 2nd batch most went to fungas, but they lasted 4 or so days, atleast they didnt get eaten :)
They have laid like clock work on sundays or mondays hehe

Todays eggs seem larger and more orange .... :)

Cheers

D

Dee
Wed Sep 01, 2004, 01:59 PM
Hey All :D

Looked at the eggs about 5 mins ago and there's a wriggler or two there :shock: YAY ! they are confirmed :D well looks like my girlfriends worst nightmares have been relised hehe :twisted: ill get a 3ft'er for the newlyweds in a month or so.

This is my first time with all the mummy's and daddy's stuff, hehe this is cool.

Unfortuntly they laid on the filter intake, so there's zero chance of survial. Anyway im happy none the less!!

Cheers

D

nicholas76
Thu Sep 02, 2004, 09:39 AM
HI D,

are you feeding these fish discus premium. Just wondering if you can pick a change in colour yet? are they brighter?

mine have a metallic shine blue whihc has definetly increased after a months feeding on just this stuff.

Regards

nick

Dee
Thu Sep 02, 2004, 02:15 PM
G'day Nick :)

I've only been feeding these guys Breeders Premium for a week (Since i got some off you last weekend). As for colour, havnt really changed that much, but at times do look 'brighter'. Ill let you know after a month or so :wink: one thing i did notice though, was that after feeding them BP for a week, thier eggs where darker, larger and also got some wrigglers. May or may not have anything to do with the BP, ill let you know how things pan out :)

Thanks again for hooking me up with the BP :D

P.S: thats the female of the pair in my avatar, and she has coloured up a little since feeding BP

Cheers

D :)

nicholas76
Thu Sep 02, 2004, 09:28 PM
good to hear mate,

you have some really nice fish there.

do us a favour and keep me posted and I'll do like wise. Itll be ineteresting to se how they develop in growth / colour if any with this discus food.

Cheers

Nick

Dee
Wed Oct 06, 2004, 03:20 PM
Hey all :)

well my pair have been laying eggs and getting them to wriggler stage for a month or so now, the fry dont have much chance getting any further as the pair always lay on my canister filter intake ... not to mention the other fish in the tank.

Recently my blue turq and red turq begun courting (shimmying and spending alot of time together etc). Both seem to be quite aggresive to my RSS pair and the two other discus in the tank :roll: so there's been a fair bit of brawling going on. anyone had any experience with 2 pairs in the same tank ? Im planning on moving the RSS to their own tank in a month or so. It's just the RSS pair are getting harrased by the turq (possible) pair, let just say it's not the most relaxing tank to sit and watch at the moment. any info on dealing with aggression etc would be helpfull.

Cheers

Dee :)

nicholas76
Wed Oct 06, 2004, 09:59 PM
D

Aggression is a difficult thing to fix.

Your fish are setting boundaries on its turf. I hate to say this mate but it's time for a divider mate, or an additional tank.

Regards

Nick