PDA

View Full Version : Sexing Discus

Lex
Thu Feb 26, 2004, 11:52 AM
Hey guy,

Anyone here have any tips on sexing discus? How big does the discus have to be before you can determine their sex. Any particular characteristics?

Cheers

flukes
Thu Feb 26, 2004, 12:18 PM
Ok the obvious way is to wait till spawning and there is a little gland (dont know the acutal name) that is present when spwaning. The male has a thin narrow one and the females is wider and stubbier. If that makes sense. The second way which doesnt need spwning, goes on fin shape, the top and bottom fins point toward the tail fin. If you draw and imaginary line from both top and bottom until they cross. A female it will cross in the centre or close to it, the male it will miss the tail fin or lay just on the outside of it. I was after the same information a while ago and i was directed to the following site. -
http://www.aquaworldnet.com/dbws/sexingdiscus.shtml

Hope this helped ive tried it on a few juvi's and could see diferences between a couple of them. I also did it on one pair and it worked perfect havent tried it on enough to say it is a sure way but it is worth giving a go

Hope this helped

Cheers
Scott

flukes
Fri Feb 27, 2004, 11:38 PM
Has anyone tried this method iam dying to see what other peoples results where??