PDA

View Full Version : Cost of sumps

Bad Inferno
Fri Aug 13, 2004, 11:19 AM
Anybody seen a good quality sump that is NOT AUD$300 Any suggestions to suppliers, sump builders or cheap BIO media in Melbourne would be appreciated.

I plan on either buying one local, USA or going and get some acrylic sheeting and make my own.

I have two tanks at total 240 litre which I was hoping to connect to a sump. With the posbility of doubling the tanks to 480 litres, so I hoping for a sump size using a 30"x12x12 tank

flukes
Fri Aug 13, 2004, 12:37 PM
I know someone meantioned a place in dandenong that cuts and join acrylics, iam sure if you did up a design they could put something together for you.
Just a note shipping a 3ft sump from the states would cost you a bundle in frieght cost.
But yeah iam sure someone here meantioned it too me about a few places that work with acrylics.

Bad Inferno
Fri Aug 13, 2004, 01:02 PM
I got a price for shipping a BIO chamber suitable for 100gal US35 plus the cost of chamber at US75

flukes
Fri Aug 13, 2004, 01:56 PM
That is good, including the shipping.
Can you give me any information on where you got these quotes from?

Thanks
Scott

Proteus
Fri Aug 13, 2004, 02:12 PM
I find that hard to believe when i am getting stuff sent from the U.S. all the time.

To get an AquaClear 500 sent here, it costs US$32, and that isnt even express...

BioMedia is also something you want to be certain of, make sure it is food grade nylon if you are getting bio-balls etc...

I have paid around the $400 mark for all my sumps (each, & complete)

1 is a 3ft'r the other a 2ft'r

Both quality made with thick glass, internal chambers, spray arm, all bio-media, 4500lph pump, 300w heater, all plumbing and fittings.

I doubt when you add it all up you will find cheaper unless you can make it all yourself and have a spare pump around as they sell for approx the $200 mark...

Bad Inferno
Fri Aug 13, 2004, 02:22 PM
see link below for bio chamber...goy shipping quoted today

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46310&item=4310168355

Proteus
Fri Aug 13, 2004, 02:33 PM
That quote would have to be for surface mail...

hope your patient... it could take 3-6 months to get to you.

For something that size, standard airmail will set you back over US$100...

trust me on this... I am over there once or twice every year (was there last week, and going back in 12 weeks) and if this guy reckons he can ship it to you by air for less than US$100, well, you are the luckiest person in Oz... I get at least one package or letter from the U.S. every 2 weeks, and even the cost of a standard letter is $2-$3...

considering the size of it, the amount of packaging to protect it... US$35 I doubt it (except for surface)

Proteus
Fri Aug 13, 2004, 02:35 PM
If the seller will put it in writing that shipping is via air-express (DHL, Fedex, etc) I might go and get a few.

Bad Inferno
Sat Aug 14, 2004, 12:22 PM
I confirmed 35 air frieght for the 75 gal sump...it would be through USPS not courier. I use USPS alot and gets here in 10 days.

I will see the costs of building this locally before I finally commit as I do have some perspex at work I could use for the top lid/tray

Proteus
Sat Aug 14, 2004, 02:10 PM
Please keep us posted... as to whether you find a local supplier/manufacturer or get one shipped in, maybe to offset delivery charges I might order one as well... I like the look of the overflow unit (beats drilling especially if you swap tanks all the time)

kalebjarrod
Sat Aug 14, 2004, 09:14 PM
that overflow does look good indeed,

wish i could gst a closer look at it, i can feel some DIY coming on