PDA

View Full Version : metro at an affordable price?

lesley
Wed Jul 05, 2006, 09:01 AM
I think that I may have probs. two of my little discus purchased four weeks ago are showing whitish excreta. I am feeding them a fair amount of brine shrimp, but I fear the worst because one of them is a little listless.

So if I were to transfer them to a smaller tank and get metro, where the hell can I get it at an affordable price? My local vet charged me $100 for three doses the last time I tried. I don't want to euthanise these lovely little guys without trying but I definitely can't afford hundreds of dollars for treatments.

I am in Gippsland, but could travel to Melbourne.

mistakes r crucial
Wed Jul 05, 2006, 09:18 AM
PM sent.
MAC

TomNS
Wed Jul 05, 2006, 11:03 PM
Miskates - can I get that PM too please?

Thanks
Tom

mistakes r crucial
Wed Jul 05, 2006, 11:17 PM
Hi Tom,

The PM wasn't what you probably think it was, it was nothing to do with where you can get Metro cheaply. Sorry mate.
MAC

dino
Fri Jul 14, 2006, 07:50 AM
by Metro - you mean Metronidazole antibiotics? They come in 200mg and 400mg tablets. Are these the ones, and how much would you need.

Merrilyn
Sat Jul 15, 2006, 02:34 PM
Welcome to the forum dino. Please remember that metro is a restricted drug, and can only be supplied on prescription from a vet or GP.

Lesley, I'm sure some of our members could supply you with the name of a 'fish friendly' vet in Melbourne. If you'd like to send me a PM, I'll be happy to give you the name of my vet, who is the chief vet for the Melbourne Aquarium.

dino
Sat Jul 15, 2006, 03:24 PM
Yes, I'm well aware that Metronidazole is a prescription only drug. I'm not sure how much your vets are charging you, but a private script (without using Medicare / PBS subsidy) for 21 tabs would cost only around $15. It would be illegal for a GP to give you a PBS script unless you were suffering from a condition requiring Metronidaole (eg diverticulitis or bacterial vaginosis, to name a couple of conditions), however you could try asking your GP for a private prescription. It would also be illegal to give (or offer to give) someone some Metronidazole unless you are a registered medical practitioner.

mistakes r crucial
Fri Aug 18, 2006, 08:55 AM
Hey Leslie, how did those fish go? Are they OK?
MAC

Waldo
Mon Aug 21, 2006, 12:20 AM
depending on if you need a lot or a little you can ask a vet for some cat/dog dewormer. or buy it at a weed and feed for pigs.