PDA

View Full Version : Adding Geo's to a tank

Liverpool_pete
Tue Jul 04, 2006, 12:54 AM
Just a quick question.

I have a few geo's i am planing on adding to my new 10*2*2 and was wondering if there is any issue with adding them in two or three lots rather than all at once.

I do not whant to make too heavy a bio load all at once if i can get out of it so adding them in stages would be better in my opinion if there is going to be no aggression issues to deal with.

Thanks for the help

Peter

Ben
Tue Jul 04, 2006, 02:06 AM
Peter,

have you cycled the tank?

Geo's make great pets for fishtanks and will look great in your big tank! they can be aggresive a little but no major damage.

A tank of that size with lots of hiding places is the way to go.

Liverpool_pete
Tue Jul 04, 2006, 02:12 AM
Ben,

The tank has been running for 3 1/2 weeks with a few small fish in it but i think the bio load of the few fish in there is not enough to cycle it. There appears to be no amonia and no nitrate or nitrite.

I was hoping i could put a few geo's in to help with the cycle as well.

Any ideas or comments would be appreciated.

Ben
Tue Jul 04, 2006, 02:22 AM
Pete, you can add the geo's in seperate stages, i just done the same yesterday with some orange caps.

Slowly add fish to your tank as it seems it has not started to cycle properly.

Geo's are great fish! they do a great job at keeping the substrate nice and clean!

cheers
Ben

taksan
Tue Jul 04, 2006, 04:20 AM
A 10x2x2 is over 1000 litres
Your going to have to add quite a few fish to cycle it

FullScaleCatfish
Tue Jul 04, 2006, 04:48 AM
Most Eartheaters are quite sensitive to ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, I wouldn't use them to cycle a tank! Unless you want to replace them later. Also most Eartheaters are group/schooling fish so you would be better off adding them in a group of say 5+.
Have you thought about fishless cycling? Might be the way to go with a tank of that size.