PDA

View Full Version : female eating fry

wyldchyld01
Thu Aug 12, 2004, 02:00 PM
Hey all,

this is the first time i have posted on this site, but i recognise some knowledgable people from other sights visited....wanted to ask a question

my red turq's have bred again and the fry free swimming, the male is doing an awesome job looking after them, keeping them from going to far etc but the female is eating them any chance she gets :cry:

the fry have not attached themselves to the sides of the parents yet but when they try with my lady she turns around and eats them

any advice would be good, am getting to the stage of trying to artificially raise them using egg yoke or pulling the female out of the tank...advice would be appreciated

thanks

Brenton

sorry i don't know how two of these got on the board

flukes
Thu Aug 12, 2004, 02:43 PM
I would be seperating her, if the father is doing a good job of raising them.
Then maybe put her back in when thefry reach a large enough size.

Merrilyn
Thu Aug 12, 2004, 03:13 PM
I'd remove the female immediately. The male is doing a good job on his own, and so long as it's not a huge spawn, he will be able to produce enough body slime to feed the remaining fry. Start feeding newly hatched brine shrimp on day three or four of free swimming. Put them in a turkey baster and gently blow them over the sides of the parent fish. This will ease the strain on the parent. It's unusual for discus to eat free swimming fry, (they usually eat the eggs) but not unheard of. She may be a young female and still learning. It can take 10 or even 20 times for them to settle down and become model parents.

wyldchyld01
Fri Aug 13, 2004, 06:23 PM
ta guys n gals

was going to do that but was worried i would lose the pair. by the time i have read this i have lost all fry, gotta wait another 8 days and try again

gotta love shift work

Brenton

nicholas76
Sun Aug 15, 2004, 11:38 AM
Brenton,

got the same blewmin issue

Ive been advised to let nature take its course and they both will learn eventually..

let us know how you go!!

what spawn are yours up to??