PDA

View Full Version : Fish sick, advide needed.

fishingjedi
Sat Jul 01, 2006, 04:59 AM
Hey guys, I just moved this guy to quarantine last night, but her condition has got much worse. Very bad case of fin rot, cloudy eyes, dark appearance & fungus on belly. I just noticed the fungus when I got home from work it wasn't there last night, & the fin rot has got much worse over 18hrs. Pics attached, advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Luke.

shayesmommy
Sat Jul 01, 2006, 05:29 AM
she beautiful and i wish i knew more to help you.

samir
Sat Jul 01, 2006, 05:59 AM
option 1
go to a vet
SHOP 3, BLOCK D, 1 HUNTER STREET, GREEN SQUARE, 2017
(on the corner of McEvoy Street, Waterloo - just 500 metres from the Supa Centre)
PHONE (02) 9319 6111
Monday to Friday 9:00 am -- 6:30 pm
Saturday 9:00 am -- 1:00 pm

option 2

treat yourself. first add aquarium salt about 2 teaspoon - 20 ltrs, some recommend lowering the temperature a bit to slow down the bacteria but i've never tried that
1) you could try a 10 day dose of tetracycline. you will get it at a lfs.
http://www.petsplus.com.au/pet-shop.asp?id=241
2) 6 day course of Myzaxine also available at lfs
http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/prod983.htm

with both these courses you may get a secondary fungal infection which you will have to treat with an anti fungal.
it is important to change 50% of your water every single day before redosing because your biofilter will be dead with the meds and water changes will have to keep ammonia and nitrite under control, and add salt for the amount of water removed.
dont use any light with tetracycline or myzaxine(not sure bout this one) as they are light sensitive.
be sure to complete the entire course even if the fish recovers(most important)
you may double the tetracycline dose if there is no improvement after a couple of days. feed only as much as it can eat and immediately syphon out leftovers. your water should be so clean that if not for the meds it should be drinkable(very important)

if all this does not work your only option is metro from a vet.
hope that helps

marg
Sat Jul 01, 2006, 06:05 AM
Poor thing, she really does look sick, doesn't she?

When did you first notice her getting sick?

If you can't get onto the vet I'd definately start with the Salt treatment.

Can't advise you on the others as I've never had a Fish with any of her problems. The Myzaxine sounds good to me as it seems to treat most of the problems she is having, but I'd prefer to see what Ladyred or one of the more expereienced members advise. perhaps you could pm. her - I don't think she mind seeing as it is an urgent matter.

Hope she starts to pick up for you.

Marg.

fishingjedi
Sat Jul 01, 2006, 06:17 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, I started a salt treatment last night, & I'll pick up some meds 2morrow.

Keep u posted .

G-1000
Sat Jul 01, 2006, 01:00 PM
I tend to agree with Samir there

That fish doesnt look like it will die - so have hope !

G

fishingjedi
Sat Jul 01, 2006, 03:37 PM
Just got home & unfortunately she didnt pull through.

samir
Sat Jul 01, 2006, 04:07 PM
thats bad news :( do a clean and a large water change of your main tank. you need to remove the cause of the problem so that it does not happen again. regular water changes may be whats needed

Waldo
Sat Jul 01, 2006, 11:02 PM
Thats a shame. Best wishes.

G-1000
Mon Jul 03, 2006, 09:55 AM
Mate - thats a shame.

I have personally has fishes like that which have pulled through for me. Must be just bad luck.

G