PDA

View Full Version : Sort of a planted tank?

lesley
Mon Jun 26, 2006, 10:06 AM
am trying to get a very easy clean tank, but still have the benefits of the plants.

am currently experimenting with this one - I hose the considerable waste to one end of the tank each night and then syphon out the window. I think I do need more plants so that I can maybe leave it to every second night.

Any suggestions welcomed.

mr troph
Tue Jun 27, 2006, 09:47 AM
Nice Tank
can you tell me what strain those small blues with the dark verticle strip running through the eye are. I have these I was told they were red turqoise but I not sure.
Thanks Todd

Discus 41
Tue Jun 27, 2006, 01:30 PM
Hi Lesley,

A lot of the members on the forum use mystery or apple snails to clean up the fish waste and any food scraps,could give them a try.

Oh yeah great looking tank

Phlipper
Tue Jun 27, 2006, 01:46 PM
If you buy more plants you will need to have more substrate or growing medium to grow them in, whick makes more obstacles to clean around, and make cleaning more difficult and timely. To create an effect with plants where you needs less cleaning is not really possible, and you need a lot of plants to really help control impurities. All the plants shed leaves and create more mess so more cleaning is needed.............cant effectively see a logical way put of it.

lesley
Wed Jun 28, 2006, 11:00 AM
thanks for your comments.

mr. troph - I really don't know what they are! I picked up all these fish pretty cheap, no guarantees! I always understood that the red turqs showed red on the fins, whereas these ones look pretty blue on the fins and I am expecting them to be blue turqs.

lesley
Wed Jun 28, 2006, 11:01 AM
thanks for your comments.

mr. troph - I really don't know what they are! I picked up all these fish pretty cheap, no guarantees! I always understood that the red turqs showed red on the fins, whereas these ones look pretty blue on the fins and I am expecting them to be blue turqs.

Roger
Wed Jun 28, 2006, 05:01 PM
hey nice tank good luck with it 8-)

kalebjarrod
Wed Jun 28, 2006, 08:27 PM
you little ones seem like blue turqs, but given that they are small they couls be red turqs

pots are fantastic for having plants in a BB tank

it also gives you the ability to focus your spray bar / water flow in a way that will push debri to one end of the tank for you

you should be able to clean every second night, just make the feeding smaller so the fish can handle the entire amount of food in one sitting

smaller feed more regularly will give you less left over food and a generally cleaner tank

a series of BN are great ceaners, have Hundreds in every tank i own (well not quite hundreds but you get the picture :wink: )

Waldo
Wed Jun 28, 2006, 08:41 PM
I would say your setup is pretty simple and simple is easy. You've kept your substrate thin which helps tremendously. possibly by adding a fish that likes to stir in the sand would help but I think you'lle find plants will get knocked out even with the pleco's you have in there unless you tie them to something. tire track eels, peacock eels would be my best suggestion.

marg
Thu Jun 29, 2006, 12:52 AM
Lesley,

I think your tank looks lovely just the way it is. Your Fish look really nice - good combination of colours!!

Marg.