PDA

View Full Version : freshwater stingrays

endless
Sat Jun 24, 2006, 11:32 PM
I was just wondering whether freshwater stingrays are ok to be kept with discus. If so were can i get them from (preferably in melbourne) and how much do they normally sell for?

taksan
Sat Jun 24, 2006, 11:46 PM
They can be kept with discus at smaller sizes. They are about if you know where to look but as for prices your looking well over $1000 for a juvenile.

Ben
Sun Jun 25, 2006, 02:15 AM
I saw some in Malaysia, not cheap there!A stunning fish to keep IMO.

endless
Sun Jun 25, 2006, 03:56 AM
as for prices your looking well over $1000 for a juvenile.

damn, thats a little bit too rich for me but they are indeed a nice fish

Ben
Sun Jun 25, 2006, 04:14 AM
Those little Borneo soles might be a better option endless.

endless
Sun Jun 25, 2006, 05:32 AM
Those little Borneo soles might be a better option endless.

Hey Ben what are Borneo soles? Do you have a pic of one?

kevkoi
Tue Jun 27, 2006, 06:50 AM
I believe Ben means Borneo suckers (Gastromyzon sp.).

I would advice you to stay away from those fish, especially in a discus tank. They've got very poor survival track record in tanks and they especially don't like the high temperatures of discus tanks, coming from very fast flowing cool rapids.

Tunnel Rat
Sun Jul 23, 2006, 02:01 AM
I was just wondering whether freshwater stingrays are ok to be kept with discus. If so were can i get them from (preferably in melbourne) and how much do they normally sell for?

Do not know if you are still interested but there are Motoro rays around at the moment $1200- very small
But I do not think they would go well with Dicus.I think they would annoy the crap out of them when they grow a bit more.They go in to a feeding frenzy at feeding time and will knock them about.
pm me if interested.

cya
Rat

FishLover
Sun Jul 23, 2006, 11:19 PM
$1200 each! I'm in the wrong line of business.

Too rich for my blood.

Tunnel Rat
Mon Jul 24, 2006, 01:56 AM
$1200 each! I'm in the wrong line of business.

Too rich for my blood.

Yep not as lucky as you guys over there you not only get all the types of F/rays but sooooooo cheap :lol: They do not travel well and we are so far away down here.But we need new blood lines big time.
By the way they sold all 4 Goooooooone :(

cya
Rat

wickedglass
Mon Jul 24, 2006, 03:40 AM
freshwater rays are very difficult to keep, and they will outgrow most tanks. I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. a lot of them live on crustaceans which they find in the substrate, so they're not exactly easy or cheap to provide for, either.

Tunnel Rat
Mon Jul 24, 2006, 05:11 AM
freshwater rays are very difficult to keep, and they will outgrow most tanks. I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. a lot of them live on crustaceans which they find in the substrate, so they're not exactly easy or cheap to provide for, either.

Sorry but you are way off the mark :roll: Motoro P1 to P5 are easy to keep your leo & henlei P13-P14 also easy to keep just hard to find in Australia.They just do not like pollution Nitrite,Ammonia but what fish do.Ph just not extreme ends of the scale.
Hard to feed where have you been hiding they eat almost anything I know a breeder in Sydney feeding his on carnivorous pellets prawns & fish same as with most carnivorous fish.
I do mot find it expensive feeding my carnivorous fish I stock up on Hikari C/pellets & a trip down to sea food markets onces every two months to stock up on fresh S/prawns fish fillets to freeze.
They do grow big but are a slow growing just need a wide tank 2ft wide for the first 2 years then 2.5-3'wide well be great. What you do not have a 8'x3'x2' tank at home :lol: then you have not lived.
Some wild court rays can be a pain.

With the filtration we have these days keeping rays is easy :thumb

cya
Rat

wickedglass
Mon Jul 24, 2006, 05:30 AM
bah, then I was misinformed (I had a lengthy talk about fw rays with a fish shop guy recently) and stand corrected, thank you. unfortunately my largest tank is only 8x2x2 and not set up yet.

Tunnel Rat
Mon Jul 24, 2006, 11:12 AM
bah, then I was misinformed (I had a lengthy talk about fw rays with a fish shop guy recently) and stand corrected, thank you. unfortunately my largest tank is only 8x2x2 and not set up yet.

Yes misinformed for sure :oops: Maybe he is still in old school days I lost two motoro's in 1986 because very little was known about them back then but with what we now know the filtration systems we now have & locally breed stock easy to keep :D
Tell me you would not like to take one of these pups home.(pic blow)
Man that 8x2x2 you have would do two of these guys for years to come before you had to go wider.

Sorry if I came down a bit hard but it was wrong information about my favorite fish.They do become just like dogs with a real character about them self's.
Must never forget that they can be dangerous with that venomous spine care must be taken.
cya
Rat

Ben
Mon Jul 24, 2006, 11:15 AM
Tell me you would not like to take one of these pups home.(pic blow)

I'd take all 7!

AdamR
Mon Jul 24, 2006, 10:24 PM
Personally as beautiful as motaros are, Id prefer to spend that first $1000 on prepping up a salt water tank. Then buy 5 or so blue spot sting rays with the next $1000. They are absolutely gorgeous.

Adam

holotype
Tue Jul 25, 2006, 01:08 AM
Stingrays really shouldn't be kept in tanks, they need a lot of surface area to move about. In the wild they live in the wide open sandy parts of the rivers where they actively school in large groups and can swim for miles without hitting the river bank.
The only suitable captive environment would be a swimming pool or pond at least a few meters wide, anything less and the fish will not be able to behave normally.

I have seen these sorts of rays kept in X'x2'x2' tanks with barely enough clear space to sit flat, imo this is clearly on the wrong side of the line between ethical fishkeeping and selfish disregard.

This is not directed at Tunnel Rat, as I believe he is aware of the ultimate needs of these fish, but at those who desire such creatures simply because they are rare, expensive and something 'cool' to brag about.

taksan
Tue Jul 25, 2006, 01:37 AM
What a load of complete rubbish

Stingrays really shouldn't be kept in tanks, they need a lot of surface area to move about. In the wild they live in the wide open sandy parts of the rivers where they actively school in large groups and can swim for miles without hitting the river bank.
The only suitable captive environment would be a swimming pool or pond at least a few meters wide, anything less and the fish will not be able to behave normally.

I have seen these sorts of rays kept in X'x2'x2' tanks with barely enough clear space to sit flat, imo this is clearly on the wrong side of the line between ethical fishkeeping and selfish disregard.

This is not directed at Tunnel Rat, as I believe he is aware of the ultimate needs of these fish, but at those who desire such creatures simply because they are rare, expensive and something 'cool' to brag about.

Tunnel Rat
Tue Jul 25, 2006, 05:39 PM
Personally as beautiful as motaros are, Id prefer to spend that first $1000 on prepping up a salt water tank. Then buy 5 or so blue spot sting rays with the next $1000. They are absolutely gorgeous.

Adam

Adam to house five blue spots your $1000 would pay for your filtration system in a tank the size you would need.I have had a blue spot ray they grow fast and big up to a 3' disk have not had marines for years.
If you were to pay top dollar for your blue spots you would be looking at ten or more for your $1000- they are good value.

Ok so you call the blue spot absolutely gorgeous I'll show you gorgeous
First your blue spot then we bring on the FW-rays

all in good fun
Rat

Tunnel Rat
Tue Jul 25, 2006, 05:48 PM
Not finished yet
Ok so you could buy a lot of blue spots for the price of one Leo over here.
But come on whats absolutely gorgeous you say :D
How's the motoro hi breed second one down :mrgreen:

sorry dial ups

cya
Rat

FishLover
Tue Jul 25, 2006, 06:53 PM
Now tha's gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the pics.

holotype
Wed Jul 26, 2006, 02:57 AM

Rather than insulting me, why don't you share your insights on the matter? If you take issue with my opinions then by all means address them, but there is no need to be so rude about it.

taksan
Wed Jul 26, 2006, 06:46 AM
If you find my opinion that your opinion is a complete and utter load of uninformed rubbish insulting then thats your problem. Don't see why my opinion is any more insulting then yours is.

Rather than insulting me, why don't you share your insights on the matter? If you take issue with my opinions then by all means address them, but there is no need to be so rude about it.

Tunnel Rat
Thu Jul 27, 2006, 10:55 AM
Had somebody pm me about the FW/rays they have been sold a Aquarium here in Sydney had them for sale but they sold them to a person who desires such creatures simply because they are rare, expensive and something 'cool' to brag about. :banghead . LOL
You do not see them for sale very often in a lsf I just hope when time comes for me to own a fw/ray again that I can find one.
All the pics I posted I down loaded off the net to show how absolutely gorgeous the fw/ray is.
I only wish that soon after many years I can get myself such a fine creature.Just for something 'cool' to brag about of cause :roll:

cya
Rat

DiscusMad
Thu Jul 27, 2006, 02:06 PM
very tempted for when the plans are made for my house I could include a 5x5 base tank instead od the 8x2 wall tank lol