PDA

View Full Version : How to breed Corydoras Caudimaculatus?

goldenpigeon
Thu Jun 22, 2006, 10:42 PM
Hey everyone,
I have a colony of about 7 or 8 of these fantastic Corys and wouldnt mind trying my hand at breeding them. The thing is i have no idea how to do this and as i understand it many corys breed differently. I would greatly appreciate any information anyone could give me.

I would also like to know how to sex these guys. I have a feeling there might be more male than females as there are some which are a fair bit larger and fatter [as with a lot of species of fish the females are larger].

I have a few 2ft tanks i could spare at the moment to breed something so i thought these guys could be fun hehe

Cheers
David

Ben
Fri Jun 23, 2006, 05:54 AM
Hi Dave,

i just bred a few albino sterbai's. the trick to make them spawn like rabbits is feeding lots of live food :!: i fed mine with lots of live black worms.

GH 4
KH 2
PH 6.6
temp 26.c.

Below is a pic 0f them, the female (top) has just spawned and has eggs in her ventral fins, she is looking for a place to deposit them.:D

As far as sexing them i found it too tricky so a large colony will give you both sex's

I tried but could not get a good photo of her so you could see the eggs. :?

Recently someone said they breed like vermin and they are correct! :shock: :wink:

I am sure the above will yeild you many baby cory's!

Cheers
Ben

KillieOrCory
Fri Jun 23, 2006, 05:59 AM
Like Ben said, high protein foods get them going in no time; assuming they are aduts of course!.

Like Ben I prefer blackworms as they stay alive in the tank and do not foul the water if the fish do not eat them straight away.

When they are fully conditioned if they are still not spawning doing a water change with slightly cooler water gets some species going.

I bred about 14 species of cories they more or less breed like rabbits if you provide the above. Good luck!

goldenpigeon
Fri Jun 23, 2006, 10:43 PM
hey thanks for the help guys!

Ben you going to get so many babies from those! i am told that the more commin species have many more eggs than something a bit rarer. hehe good luck with them!

Serkan what species do you breed? :D

well im going to put my colony into a 2ft tank today until i can sort out the male to female ratio and will go from there.

i was told by another source yesterday that all they need in their tank is a heater, sponge filter and a bit of gravel and thats it. is this cool or should i grab a cave for them? im not going to bother lighting this tank because i dont think they will appreciate it.

i was also told to keep the temp at about 23-26 degrees. is this fine?

thanks for the help once again!

cheers
David

Ben
Sat Jun 24, 2006, 12:47 AM
Ben you going to get so many babies from those! i am told that the more commin species have many more eggs than something a bit rarer. hehe good luck with them!

Albino Sterbai's are not that common.

No lighting would be fine, a temp of 26.c is good and worked well for me.

It nice for them to have some furniture, like some driftwood, anubias etc.

I was sticking foam inside the tank near the top, most times they would spawn and it made it easier to collect the eggs, other wise a very shapr razor blade does the trick.

Cheers
Ben

goldenpigeon
Sat Jun 24, 2006, 04:01 AM
sorry ben i didnt read your post properly, i thought they were standard albinos lol sorry bud. thats great that you got them to breed then!ok ill grab some anubias or something when i go out later.

cheers
David

fishgeek
Sat Jul 08, 2006, 05:04 PM
cory's will often breed after a drop in atmospheric pressure
sometimes a large cooler water change can stimulate them

generally females are fatter at the pectoral region when viewed from above
and males often have a larger dorsal fin

basichttp://www.tropicalfishforums.co.uk/index.php?page=basics breeding info here or if you want more specifics then ian fuller has taken the corydorasworld web name on and will have heaps of info

andrew

lovenotthrowdiscus
Sun Jul 09, 2006, 03:31 AM
hey guys i have a colony of corydoras sterbai's
am keen to breed too...was just wondering where abouts i
could get some live black worms in sydney area???

really interested...and good point that because they are alive in the tank and do not foul the water if the fish do not eat them straight away!!

help would be much appreciated.

goldenpigeon
Sun Jul 09, 2006, 04:33 AM
hey Rory i have set my caudimacs up in a tank now and have it bare bottom with the terracotta dish with black worms in it and its working really well! i htink they might be breeding because there looks to be more black worms there than what i originally put in....

samir
Sun Jul 09, 2006, 05:50 AM
GP you may want to try two heaters in the tank. first one set at 28 degrees and the other at 24 degrees. keep the 28 degree one on a timer during daylight. this way the temperature drops during the night. helps with most cory species along with lots of good food and daily 25% waterchanges. you can try cooler water changes as well. try keep nitrates to bare minimum with nitra zorb ? denitrator ? boring water changes ? :lol:

lovenotthrowdiscus
Sun Jul 09, 2006, 09:46 AM
hey Rory i have set my caudimacs up in a tank now and have it bare bottom with the terracotta dish with black worms in it and its working really well! i htink they might be breeding because there looks to be more black worms there than what i originally put in....

thanks man!
ill give it a go...

how did you end up going with your DIY co2?

Th0mas
Sun Jul 09, 2006, 01:53 PM
Like Andrew said, these fish can detect the drop in atmospheric pressure. So for some more tricky species, do a water change at the time of the pressure drop (if you don't have a barometer, look out for the rain cloud). If the fish are well fed, this will usually get them in the act.

My metae are breeding like rabbit at the moment due to the recent more than usual rain in Sydney. However getting them to spawn is one hurdle, raising the fry can be really tricky. Remove the eggs from the parents if you want a high survival rate (otherwise non-spawning fish will happily attack the egg, while fry can be easy food for adult).

Good luck.

Thomas.

nornicle
Sun Sep 24, 2006, 03:33 AM
i accidentally bred pandas in my discus tank, colony of 7 just let them swim around.. baby pandas :D so cute!! will one day give these a go again i just love pandas...

shewey
Sun Sep 24, 2006, 06:43 AM
Hi All,

Are there any issues with the live black work getting into your gravel? Or for a cory breeding tank would you just have a very thin layer so the cories can find them?

Cheers,
Mark

Th0mas
Sun Sep 24, 2006, 07:44 AM
Never have problem - the worm will survive and multiplies. Cories will dig some out every now and then for reward.