PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Tile

marg
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 07:15 PM
Hi all,

Just thought I'd share a Photo of my new Breeding Tiles that I made up today. I got the idea after speaking to Ben last week.

They are glazed Ceramic Tiles I purchased from Bunnings - I deliberately purchased a cream colour as I thought that it would show up the fertile eggs clearly.

I used two half tiles and a quarter tile and joined them together with Aquarium Silicone.

Really easy to make up - they won't fall over and I intend to make up an Egg Guard to fit over them out of Gutter guard.

They also take up less space in the tank than the Spawning Cones.

Try to ignore Muffy my cat - he's the biggest nosy parker!!

Marg.

Joe
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 03:36 AM
Looks good Marg! Perhaps you should start a new business...they look perfect!
Joe

marg
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 04:18 AM
Joe,

Thanks for the compliment. That's not a bad idea!! Any takers?

Marg.

Ben
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 06:33 AM
Wow!
thats great Marg!
Better than the ones i made!!

Cheers
Ben

samir
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 06:39 AM
marg if you had posted this a month ago I'd have been off to bunnings, i wish you good luck with the breeding. :)

goldenpigeon
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 07:47 AM
will the glazing have an effect on the water? i couldnt get terracotta tile when i was going to make this sort of hting and wasnt sure about putting these in my tank so i didnt bother. will the eggs stick to the surface?

i just use one piece of 12cm square slate stood up against the wall and held in place by two suction caps. uses even less space and they fish love .

Idisscusdiscus
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 06:09 PM
Nice

marg
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 01:58 AM
Thanks for the compliment Ben - means a lot coming from an established breeder like you - it was based on the advice you gave me :D .

G.P. the Eggs stick well - I put them into the Tank, did a water change and voila - your Red/White pairimmedietly said "Hmmm, like these - how about it!!". The Eggs have attached nicely.

That was yesterday afternoon.

On Bens' advice I immedietly made up an Egg Guard and placed it around the Tile.

Now it's just wait and see (and hope hope hope!!).

Marg.

goldenpigeon
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 06:22 AM
omg! nice eggs! lot of them there! heehehe congrats marg!!!!

DiscusMan
Thu Jun 22, 2006, 08:07 AM
marg good idea and nice results keep the ideas coming and those fish breeding :)

marg
Thu Jun 22, 2006, 08:52 AM
Hi Wayne,

The tile seems to be working and cross fingers, so far no sign of fungus on the Eggs.

For those who are interested, the guard is made up of Galvanized Gutter Guard that you buy from Bunnings - once I cut it to size I dipped it in some white Vinegar then scrubbed it with a Nail Brush to make sure that it was nice and clean.

How are your Fish going Wayne? All of mine are going well.

Marg.

phear
Tue Aug 15, 2006, 01:26 PM
i was always under the influence that metal in fish tanks is never a good thing?

just a thought

Merrilyn
Sat Aug 19, 2006, 07:03 AM
For a short time, it's fine in water.

I think just about 90% of kids living in the country drink water stored in a galvanised iron rainwater tank, which is collected off a galvanised iron roof.

Must be pretty safe stuff. :P