PDA

View Full Version : Will These Be Ok?

steven_askham
Sun Jun 18, 2006, 07:30 PM
Well I have 3 discus and am wanting to spice the tank up a bit, so I was thinking would it be possible to have the following:

Cardinal Tetras
Red Finned Shark
Livebearers (Guppy, Swordtails and Platies)

I also really like the look of Geophagus Surinamensis. However my tank is only 33 gals, it is very amture and gets regular water changes so would a pair of these be ok or am I better of leaving them out.

Lexie
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 02:16 AM
IMHO (and I have not yet kept discus, but I've read a lot), a Red-Finned Shark will grow WAY too large for your tank...
Livebearers may be an option, but I'm not sure if they'll tolerate the heat...

And you should be ok with a small school of cardinals?

sammigold
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 12:49 PM
Guppies prefer cooler temps and harder water than discus...
Having said that I know that people do keep guppies with their discus but I would expect that their lifespan would be dramatically shortened... JMO

Cardinal tetras are great, also Rummy nose Tetras are very pretty .....How about some little Blue or gold rams they are very colourful and dont grow too big...?

I think the Red fin shark would be way to aggressive... I have read that they are very territorial and not very sociable in a community tank....again JMO

marg
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 12:54 PM
What about some BLack Widows? When fully grown they look lovely.

Bristlenoses for the bottom - good little cleaners.

Maybe some Corys?

Marg.

eatoff182
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 11:24 AM
nah steer clear of black widows! ugly things! haha sorry marg to disagree! i had some black widows and they turned nasty, even just got rid of some painted widows, they were getting a bit nasty too with their size.

Go Cardinals or rummynose. Rednose shark is a big no no. I've had them before and they get aggressive, dont want to put ur discus through that.

marg
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 11:37 PM
Sorry bout that - it's just that a friend of mine has a 6 foot tank with 8 Discus in it and he has some Black Widows in there which are fully grown and look really nice. They seem to get along well with his Discus.

Maybe it's because he has had them since they were little babies and they have got used to living with the Discus?

Marg.

eatoff182
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 08:24 AM
probably! I grew some widows up with an angel, some gouramis and clownloaches.. it decided to be the boss!

goldenpigeon
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 08:34 AM
dont bother with the red tail shark. they are agressive fellas and not worth the fish.

i never have and never will own one of these buggers! my fish mean to much to me to put one of them in my tank. (oppinions and experiences from friends as well)

Red Dragons
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 12:20 PM
Hi :lol:
There are also Kribensis, which are colourful and also they breed very easily. I have had them in my tanks for years. And they are a great fish to have. There also is a albino Kribensis.Which is a bit plane.
There are also black neon’s which are fine.
I also agree stay away from sharks.

sammigold
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 12:29 PM
I have 5 black widows in my 4ft tank with 6 discus and they get along wonderfully and Marg you are right they do look nice when fully grown... a couple of mine are so fat they look like they will explode.. they have never hassled my discus.. but they arent very colourful if Steve is looking for colour....

Kribensis are beautiful fish but can become very territorial if they start laying eggs and parenting fry... I dont know that steves tank would be large enough as when we had Kribensis in a 3ft tank they took over roughly 2and a half feet of it when parenting... every other fish was pushed to the one side of the tank and god help them if they even looked like they were going to head towards the nesting site...LOL

steven_askham
Sat Jun 24, 2006, 08:03 AM
I allready breed kribensis (seperate tank) I am begginning to love the Geophagus I would love to get 2 lol :) along with some other little fish like cardinals.
Like I said water quality is perfect and I do regular water changes.