PDA

View Full Version : where to get netting?

DIY
Sun Jun 18, 2006, 11:18 AM
Hi all,

I'm thinking of setting up a 4ft tank with a removable divider, initially I want to divide the tank in 1/2 for a potential breeding pair. I figure 1/2 a tank will be ok for the fry to "find" the parents and as they get bigger I can remove the divider to give them more space.

I can make the divider from egg-crate (which I already have) so the tank will be full and water can flow from one half to the other - but my idea means it will need to be "fry proof"

I thought a large piece of netting wrapped around a close fitting piece if egg-crate should work but does anyone know where I can get some netting at a reasonable price suitable to stop discus fry?

Liverpool_pete
Sun Jun 18, 2006, 11:48 AM
DIYjunkie
I used perspex with a the centre cut out then silastic fly screen in. I found that worked great but i must admit i used it for live bearers not Discus.

May be worth a try.

PS. I used fibro edging similar to fibr sheet joiner. It is made of plastic and the perspex slid in great.

Let me know of you need more info

DIY
Sun Jun 18, 2006, 01:00 PM
Thanks Liverpool_Pete,

was it fibreglass fly screen like the type from bunnings? I'll have to have a look and see if the holes are small enough, I guess they probably are.

My only concern is the dark colour of fly screen affecting fry "finding" the parents so I'd love to hear other ideas too

Where did you get the "fibro" edging from?

Liverpool_pete
Sun Jun 18, 2006, 01:19 PM
Yeah the fly screen was plastic but i would have to look at it to see i thought it was light grey.

The edging was from bunnings. it is U shaped but one edge is slightly longer than the other. eg Li

Peter

Waldo
Wed Jun 28, 2006, 08:01 PM
Thats really a good idea.

DiscusMad
Wed Jun 28, 2006, 09:16 PM
you can always get the more expensive sade cloth mesh which is green

DIY
Thu Jun 29, 2006, 12:20 AM
I'm pretty sure shade cloth is treated to stop mould, so I don't think that would be a good idea.

I'm now thinking of getting some perspex that is about 20-30mm "undersize" and using foam around the edges / against the glass. water should flow through the foam but still keep the fry in. I figure this won't be as nice to look at, but should be easy to remove.

I still think netting is a better idea, and if I can find some in white or off white I'll go that way.