PDA

View Full Version : Apistogramma agassizii "blue" (now in technicolour

wickedglass
Sat Jun 17, 2006, 12:02 PM
I got a trio of mystery fish today (gotta love that) and all we were able to ascertain was that they're agassizii of some sort. After googling around for a while, I found a perfect match, here ....

http://www.otsuka-nettaigyo.com/img/Ap_agassizii_Blue.htm

can anyone translate that? Or does anyone know anything about where they come from?

Th0mas
Sat Jun 17, 2006, 01:29 PM
Hey Chris,

My limited Japanese doesn't help too much - that site just has very general information.

In the place of origin row - it says Amazon.
Other information such as "easy to breed", "require slight acidic to neutral water", "prefers drift wood", "minimum recommended tank size 30-40cm", "laid 30 - 100 eggs", etc.

Thomas.

Ben
Sat Jun 17, 2006, 01:33 PM
Chris, if your new apisto's look like that mate, well done!! Very nice indeed!

Get us pics if you can mate

cheers
Ben

wickedglass
Sun Jun 18, 2006, 05:40 AM
thanks Thomas, that's great, any info helps, either to learn from or to re-affirm present knowledge. I guess by that I can assume that they're pretty much the same to keep and breed as any other agassizii.
I'll try to remember to take the camera down to the studio tomorrow, Ben. All our tanks are set up at work and we have none at home...yet :P
my male is a dead ringer for the one on the japanese site, but he's a bit younger, the two females are heavier in the body than the one shown and are pale tan, similar to the background of the forums here, with a black lateral stripe with some blue gemming from the operculum into the caudal fin, a black transverse stripe down from the eye, the first three rays of the dorsal are black, and there's some blue gemming around the face. The caudal fin is rounded, unlike the male's.
Surprisingly they came in with a shipment of double red cacatuoides ... I looked in the tank and asked the shop keeper what those were, and he's like, ummm they are different, arent they? they look like agassizii, I have a blue male that came in the same bag as the cacatuoides (he'd obviously not ordered the agas). Lucky for me, as I'd never seen the blue agas before, he was glad to sell them to me. I love it when that sort of thing happens!
anyway, I will try not to forget the camera :)

steph
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 12:48 AM
Very nice Chris, I love aggies and yes the females have rounded tails unlike the boys. Ive seen subdominant males that never develop the spade shape either.

Good luck with them.

Cheers

Steph

wickedglass
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 12:15 PM
ah, well, that sucked .... I had cottonwool in my head as I left home this morning. Our 7 foot tank sprang a leak yesterday and I was thinking about that, instead of the camera ... definitely tomorrow I'll take it down for some pix for you.

DR.V
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 12:54 PM
http://www.otsuka-nettaigyo.com/img/Ap_agassizii_Blue.htm

can anyone translate that? Or does anyone know anything about where they come from?

From the website, its says it comes from Amazon river.

HTH

wickedglass
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 11:00 AM
remembered to take the camera today, here's some pics of the male and one of the females. the other female looks the same, but a bit smaller.

wickedglass
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 11:01 AM
and here's the girl