PDA

View Full Version : Capacity question

caswellman
Tue Jun 13, 2006, 06:22 PM
Hey first time poster and relatively inexperienced with anything discus related.

Ive recently bought a 130L tank and was hoping if it was possible to hold discus in, Im aware you need to give many fish space etc,

But as a guider, what fish should i be looking to purchase? And what fish to discus typically co-exist with peacefully?

Many thanks, great forum btw

sammigold
Wed Jun 14, 2006, 01:56 AM
Hi Caswellman, Welcome to the Forum!!

With a 130 litre tank you would be able to keep 3 Adult discus comfortably (general rule 1 discus to 40litres)

If you look in the tankmates section of the forum you will find alot of fish compatible...
Some of the smaller ones are Cardinal Tetras, Rummy Nose Tetras (they always look nice in a school of about 10-15)and maybe a couple of bristlenose catfish... I probably wouldnt put in anymore than that capacity wise.... HTH

Merrilyn
Wed Jun 14, 2006, 10:29 AM
Welcome to the forum caswellman, and welcome to the wonderful world of discus.

Just follow the friendly advice from our members, and you won't go wrong.

danielb
Wed Jun 14, 2006, 12:48 PM
Is three adult discus a good idea? I thought the general concensus was that four to six was the minimum recommend number? Just curious as I'm trying to decide between an 180L with discus or Malawi Cichlids at the moment.

Phlipper
Wed Jun 14, 2006, 01:06 PM
As Sammigold said 1 Discus for 40 litres of water is the norm.....so if you have a 180 litre tank you should as suggested keep between 4 and 6, probably closer to 4.

danielb has a 130 litre tank and that is why he is only recommended 3.....
....40 litres X 3 = 120 litres

danielb
Wed Jun 14, 2006, 01:09 PM
As Sammigold said 1 Discus for 40 litres of water is the norm.....so if you have a 180 litre tank you should as suggested keep between 4 and 6, probably closer to 4.

danielb has a 130 litre tank and that is why he is only recommended 3.....
....40 litres X 3 = 120 litres
Ah thats a handy guide that rule, thanks for clarifying things for me :)

samir
Wed Jun 14, 2006, 01:23 PM
probably a breeding pair would be okay in a 130 litre. with three fish, if one gets bullied or two pair up, the odd one out wont get much space to run.you could get 6 juveniles and then as they grow bigger and you're addicted, you'll end up getting a bigger tank anyway, or two, or three, or four, your now "tiny" 130 litre will be lying somewhere in the garage, and you will have nothing to worry about coz they would be just fine in your new 8X2X2. :lol: