PDA

View Full Version : Excel causing peeling or velvet or ??

NorCalAl
Tue Jun 13, 2006, 03:18 PM
Hi all, first post and first discus. There are two posts on this forum right now that seem to deal with my problem.
The first is the one that appears to be my issue: excel and peeling. I've had my discus a week now and he was looking better every day. Eating like a champ (tho not beefheart, didn't like that for some reason. eating a ton of brine tho), swimming fine.
Last night I noticed a shiny spot on his side. Today, it's spread and looks shiny and almost like peeling. He's still energetic and eating, so it doesn't seem like velvet. But another post in this forum had a picture of a discus with the same (tho the pic was very blurry) looking issue and there were folks saying that is velvet. I don't want to endanger the rest of the inhabitants and my 29g isn't ready yet, so...?
I don't want to dump chemicals in there willy-nilly, but I don't want things to spread. Could I move only the discus to my cycling 29g?? Should I just do the water changes the Excel poster did (with success!)??
Help please! I don't want to lose anyone!

NorCalAl
Tue Jun 13, 2006, 04:02 PM
He continues to be very active and is searching for food...I really could use some help here. I don't want to move him to the other tank and stress him further if it's just a problem with Excel.
Any help is most appreciated!

samir
Tue Jun 13, 2006, 04:24 PM
is he rubbing against stuff ? if its not showing any of the symptoms then maybe its not velvet. post a pic so one can get a better idea. you can try raising the temperature to 30 degrees C if your other fish can tolerate it and dim the lights. velvet needs light to thrive. do that till you can post pics or get better advice

NorCalAl
Tue Jun 13, 2006, 07:42 PM
No, not rubbing on anything. And he's pretty active, though really dark. I'm thinking it's the Excel - I hope. I have the temp moving up to 87 in case of ich or a similar problem.

Lichan
Tue Jun 13, 2006, 08:47 PM
What are the readings on your tank ATM? Amm? Nitrite? Nitrate?? I have one BD Discus that will do exactly what your describing when the Nitrates get a little to high and he is the only one that does it. He gets a small shiny spot somewhere on his side, then that spot spreads, then it becomes greyish and looks as though its peeling, He also darkens somewhat. Doesnt happen very often, only if I neglect the tank a little and the Nitrates creep up. A 50% wc and things reverse very quickly. Then over the next few days large water changes to get the water clean again. Its a rather harsh reminder for me that I am slacking off and Discus are extra sensitive to the quality of their water. May be a long shot but it does sounds just like what your describing...

NorCalAl
Wed Jun 14, 2006, 12:48 AM
OK, here's to thinking it was the Excel. By the end of today, less than 12 hours after noticing the problem, he's fine. No spot, color's back. I couldn't do a PWC today, but I also didn't dose Excel.
The problem is the cap is bigger on this size bottle, but Seachem didn't change the instructions to compensate. I noticed the cap was bigger while I was pouring, but wasn't sure till I held it next to my last bottle. Bad on them. Fortunately, I read the other post on Excel and peeling and saw how his fish recovered, so that sort of stemmed my panic.
Still and all, good reason to use something other than a cap for measuring. Thank you all for such fast responses!

NorCalAl
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 05:47 PM
I wanted to say I was mistaken. The outside diameter of the cap is larger, yes. But the inside of the 500ml cap is the same as the 100 & 250ml. It was not Seachem's fault.
Whatever caused the problem, it's good now. My 29g is up, running and at temp. I'm hanging a new Magnum 30 (canister + wheel) on it today and should move over one of gouramis later on to move along the cycle. They cycled my 65g for me, too. Moving some plants as well.
Thank you all for your help. You are a terrific forum!

Bill T.
Thu Jun 15, 2006, 11:27 PM
It sounds like excel is not the way to go. Do use this stuff to combat algae?

Merrilyn
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 06:52 AM
I use Flourish and Flourish Excel on several of my planted tanks, and have never had a problem with my discus.

I'm very careful about the amount I add to the water though.

taksan
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 07:45 AM
It sounds like excel is not the way to go. Do use this stuff to combat algae?

Excel is excellent for a carbon source for plants but some peopel discovered that a double dose will kill algae and decided to offer that as a solution. Excel wil lnot harm fish in a normal dose.

marg
Mon Jun 19, 2006, 11:48 AM
I also use Excel in my Community Planted tank and haven't expeerienced any problems with it - my Fish are happy and my Plants have never looked better.

Marg.