PDA

View Full Version : young discus acting strangely???

discus_fanatic
Mon Aug 09, 2004, 12:45 PM
howdy, i've just aquired 2 beautiful 5cm pigeon bloods and they seem to be acting strangely around each other. They will move their bodies in a wobbling motion on each other and hit each other with their tails. They also seem to kiss and rub against each other. I was wondering if this had anything to do with mating, obviously they are too young but i've noticed that my young mollies have tried to mate even though they are only quite young. Could this be the same thing? Could it even be a sign that they will be a breeding pair? any feedback is much appreciated.

cheers, Ryan

This site RULES!!!

Mattzilla
Mon Aug 09, 2004, 01:40 PM
could be a kind of mating dance....most likely just trying to establish a pecking order. especially if they are new to a tank. it's a new environment for them so they need to establish a pecking order. how young are they? you would be surprised at how young some discus will pair up. hopefully you have a young pair there

keep us updated

nicholas76
Tue Aug 10, 2004, 09:34 AM
I agree with you Mat.

Lip locking - in discus generally mean you got a rumble brewing.

throw in some more discus upset that power struggle!

discus_fanatic
Tue Aug 10, 2004, 01:33 PM
yeah your right nick, i've been watching them closely and there is definately a fight for domination. I'm purchasing a couple of grade A blue diamonds on the weekend so hopefully that will bring peace to the tank. I also had a few barbs in the tank which i heard wasn't a good idea as discus are a peaceful, slow moving fish and so i removed them.

thanks for the help guys. :D :D

DiscusMad
Wed Aug 11, 2004, 01:50 PM
I have one green tiger barb in my tank though it thinks its a clown loach!

nicholas76
Wed Aug 11, 2004, 09:32 PM
Discus fanatic,

best of luck with them.

hope it settles down soon. ps I'd have a divider on stand by just in case the original house mates want to take on the new guys.

Cheeers

and yes i demand photos of the new fish. :lol:

africandiscus
Mon Sep 06, 2004, 10:08 AM
I have one green tiger barb in my tank though it thinks its a clown loach!

That is awsome. I love clown loaches they are so entertaining

flukes
Mon Sep 06, 2004, 02:06 PM
Could be a pair, i have a pair that go hammer and tong to the point i think they will kill one another, and then they turn around and spawn.

I think they just do it so they can have make up s*x..

sunshinediscus
Sun Sep 19, 2004, 08:12 AM
Thats common discus behaviour Ryan, even 3 week old fry do the dance and threat displays to each other normally over feeding space. Adding more discus will not stop it but it will spread the aggression among the whole group making it safer for the discus that is lowest in the pecking order.

Rod

www.lewisdiscus.com