PDA

View Full Version : Discus Growth, a visual journey

Benny
Mon Jun 12, 2006, 11:51 AM
Hey guys, some time ago (almost a year ago actually) i bought a trio of very small blue turq fishies from Jonesy for $30.

I plan on showing you guys how with twice weekly wc's, 3 other discus mates and 3 catties in a 350L tank, they have grown.

First up, i have black gravel. It buffers the tank ph to 7.2ish. Not breeding ideal, but stable as buggary ph wise, so fishies are happy.

I change >50% of the water each hit. THe tank has 1700lph worth of canister filtration, and a 24W internal UV steriliser.

Benny
Mon Jun 12, 2006, 11:56 AM
From now on ill reffer to the fish (from left to right) as "biggie" "smallie" and "spotty".

Heres a pic taken on the 8th of August 2005

From left to right: Spottie, Biggie, Smallie

Benny
Mon Jun 12, 2006, 12:14 PM
Photos in September,
taken: 27/September 2005

Somewhere around this month, i starter preparing my own Beefheart mix based on Ladyred's guidance and recipes. Note the development of colour.

They have been fed this daily (twice and once frozen bw and bs)

Benny
Mon Jun 12, 2006, 12:18 PM
spotty:

october 10th 2005

Benny
Mon Jun 12, 2006, 12:22 PM
November

Benny
Mon Jun 12, 2006, 12:22 PM
December you have to excuse me for, I was in israel for december, and january (well half of january)

goldenpigeon
Mon Jun 12, 2006, 12:24 PM
ey benny,
excellent growth! in the last pic look how small they eye is!!!! very well done!

how is that stunted marlb. going?

Benny
Mon Jun 12, 2006, 12:31 PM
I havent got many pics between then and now,
here is one of spotty recently, and might find some other group shots

Benny
Mon Jun 12, 2006, 12:37 PM
Today:
Group shot of them waiting for dinner, from left to right
Spottie, biggie , smallie (and under smallie is LR's turq who is a 6"+ fish )

Benny
Mon Jun 12, 2006, 12:42 PM
Note that i learned everythin about tank setup, and maintenance from this site. I joined here may, got those 3 littleuns in july, and look where we are now, and how they've grown.

*Cough* i almost deserve an honourary mod status just from being a good learner :P

ozarowana
Mon Jun 12, 2006, 01:00 PM
Great looking fish. You have done a great job. :thumb

k9outfit
Mon Jun 12, 2006, 04:28 PM
:shock: :shock: :shock:
I'm jealous! Gorgeous fish! :thumb

marg
Mon Jun 12, 2006, 09:55 PM
They look beautiful.

Love Spottys' markings.

Jeroen
Mon Jun 12, 2006, 11:17 PM
speachless !

when I saw fiest picture I reallyt thougt they were a little off-shape
Now I see last pic's and....WOW...they look good, be proud of the good work you've done

Jeroen

Benny
Mon Jun 12, 2006, 11:51 PM
thanks guys, appreciate the kind words.

Note that appart from a bout with some funky fungus (that a simple salt treatment fixed) the only medicine thing that these fish have needed was a 6 monthly prazi for flukes and tapeworm.

Buying healthy fish is essential, never buy fish from a shop that is medicating all of its tanks. when they tell you its a 'routine general medicating of the fish' its just a lie, and means that theyve got a bug they cant control. They shouldnt need to medicate the fish at all, supposing they are healthy.

I in future will only buy from private breeders, or my dear friend Merrilyn. Only the best for me and discus' tankmates.

Figured id also post up a recent foto of 'biggie'.

marg
Tue Jun 13, 2006, 01:15 AM
Wow, beautiful shape and colouring. You should be very proud of how your Fish have grown. They are a credit to you :D .,

Marg.

sammigold
Tue Jun 13, 2006, 11:07 AM
Benny, They look beautiful....well done....

tbcha1
Tue Jun 13, 2006, 07:29 PM
wow very nice fish! ive just recently joined discus forum and hopefully in a yrs time ill be as successful with my fish as you were! like you said alot of great info on this site. One question benny that stunted malbro has it grown over that year as well? or do stunted discus just stay small?

Benny
Wed Jun 14, 2006, 01:00 AM
It may have grown, but only a few milimetres. Its one of the older fish, yet by far the smallest. :S ill find an old pic of him compared to the trio and post it up

Merrilyn
Wed Jun 14, 2006, 10:16 AM
Benny they've grown into magnificent fish. You've done a great job with them.

Well done my friend. I now bestow on you the title of Master Fishkeeper. HEHEHEHE

Just kidding, but be proud of the wonderful job you've done. Those fish are a credit to you.

mcloughlin2
Wed Jun 14, 2006, 11:23 AM
Wow! Just goes to show, that lil fish that doesnt have the best shape at first can still be a stunner!!!

A bow down to you benny... :lol:

I doubt even i,,,the master fish keeper could do a better job...LOL jokes... :lol: :lol:

nicholas76
Sat Jun 17, 2006, 05:35 AM
I like to give credit when its due and in this case....

Benny superb effort !

Benny
Sat Jun 17, 2006, 11:13 AM
Benny they've grown into magnificent fish. You've done a great job with them.

Well done my friend. I now bestow on you the title of Master Fishkeeper. HEHEHEHE

Just kidding, but be proud of the wonderful job you've done. Those fish are a credit to you.

They're a credit to you LR.

You have taught me, well just about all i know about these fishies :)

Thanks for puttin up with the constant neurotic questionings :)

Brilliant
Sat Jun 17, 2006, 02:24 PM
Nice looking fish.

I just purchased some new Discus and they do not have coloring yet...they will be here next week.

This is awesome I am going to have to take more pics of my fish this time. Thank you for sharing.

ziku1
Sun Jul 09, 2006, 10:16 AM
hey benny
i was wondering what kind of lights you use for your tank
seems to really bring ot the blue on the discus
almost flourescent

Benny
Thu Aug 10, 2006, 05:54 AM
sorry ive been neglecting posts.

Im using 2x Phillips Aquarelle Tubes (four footers) and i have the room for another 2 more tubes in the hood..

BTW theyre 10,000kelvin colour rated but are pinkish blue?

Feeding your own beefheart mix is great. Theres something in the prawns that enhances their colours?!

Ben

ziku1
Fri Aug 25, 2006, 12:17 PM
What was the dimension of the tank you were using 4x2x2?