PDA

View Full Version : can i use whiting filits in my BH mix

kalebjarrod
Mon Aug 09, 2004, 10:13 AM
I have got a great soucre of fresh whiting.

is this good in my BH mix? of course with all my other goodies as well :wink:

Mattzilla
Mon Aug 09, 2004, 01:48 PM
yes of course

fish is a very imortant part of a home made bh mix. it is what a lot of fish would naturally eat and helps prevent your discus getting "blocked up" with b/h

i use fresh tune personally but i can't see any reason why you couldn't use whiting. just make sure all the bones are removed of course

matt

flukes
Mon Aug 09, 2004, 04:22 PM
Do you think Discus would have a go at guppy fry?? I have amte who is over stocked with guppies and was asking if i wanted a few hundred. Do you think a discus would eat them?? I mean i know the saying "if its fits in its mouth its food" but that doesnt mean its good for them.

Proteus
Mon Aug 09, 2004, 11:33 PM
They would, but I would want to be 110% certain they are parasite free...

maybe someone who has tried this can comment.

kalebjarrod
Tue Aug 10, 2004, 07:32 AM
reason i ask is that tuna is a very oily fish, its what i use now but its expensive.

i could not see any reason why i can't but i thought i would check

nicholas76
Fri Sep 10, 2004, 09:24 AM
The main purpose of adding fish to our beef heart mix is for the omega 3 oils and nutrients.

therfore it is in your interests to add a fish that contains high levels of these supplements.

You simply cant go past tuna in my opinio.

Go to the local fish munger and pick a fresh fillet. If money is an issue than ask for the head of the tuna and scrap bits. You will often find plenty of meat in the head bit.

my old 3 inchers would selectively pick out the tuna bits out of the beef heart.

I would examine the nutritional value of whiting in relatin to the essential oils.

now in relation to blockage - simply add lecithin powder. Its purpose is to aid digestion and improve blood flow, nervous system function.

adding fry like small guppys generally is not an issue. I used to feed mine siamese fighter fry all the time

Cheers

Nick

kalebjarrod
Fri Sep 10, 2004, 09:56 PM
that does make sense, any other fish that hold these fatty oils and omega?

i was hoping to go a fish for something

nicholas76
Fri Sep 10, 2004, 10:32 PM
Gday Ryan,

I know theres several types of fish that contain these oils, written them below :D

Ive been surfing the net and found some interesting facts

Fish oils are the fatty liquids expressed from certain cold-water fish (including salmon, mackerel, sardines, bluefish, herring, and tuna) that are a rich source of omega-3 essential fatty acids. As supplements, they are taken to thin the blood and inhibit clotting, improve cholesterol profiles, and strengthen cell membranes. So fish oils are good for humans if you have a high cholesterol problem. They also have a natural anti-inflammatory effect. Fish oils are now being used therapeutically to help treat or prevent diseases including arthritis, heart disease, allergies, and asthma. Just imagine the benefits for your fish hey hehehe

Used by humans Lecithin Helps with Heart Disease, Increases Longevity, and Improves Memory
Lecithin is a fatty acid naturally found in egg yolks and soybean oil. It is taken to protect against heart disease, increase longevity, and improve memory. Lecithin is an important natural source of choline, sometimes considered one of the B-complex vitamins and a nutrient necessary for the healthy functioning of cells, nerves, and the brain. Lecithin may help to lower high cholesterol. It helps to strengthen nerve sheaves and thus can play a role in the treatment of multiple sclerosis. Lecithin is a mild antioxidant. It is non-toxic--- side effects from pure choline are much more common. The food industry adds lecithin to products such as mayonnaise to act as an emulsifier, thickener, or stabilizer.

Just thought you would find these facts informative and why I add lecethin, tuna, spirulina , garlic to my beef heart mix.

I posted a link to my beef heart recepe ( food section ) and it goes further in depth about it and the specific benefets it has to discus

Cheers

Nick

Mattzilla
Mon Sep 13, 2004, 01:24 AM
great info, thanks nick