PDA

View Full Version : Help with specs and sourcing of a 4ft tank

weird
Mon Aug 09, 2004, 04:01 AM
I am looking at migrating from my small 2ft tank to a 4 ft tank, but am unable to locate a LFS that sells what I thought would be a standard size like 4ft x 18 inch x 18 inch or 4ft x 24 inch x 24 inch.

Sizes length x width x height

Ringing around local shops, but have not called SLS.

4 ft x 14 inches x 18 inches $166 (1st store)
4 ft x 14 inches x 20 inches $ 165 (2nd store)
4ft x 15 inches x 20 inches, over $ 300 (3rd store)
4 ft x 18 inches x 22 inches, over $ 300 (3rd store)
4 ft x 18 inches x 26 inches, over $300 (3rd store)

What size in a 4 foot tank would you recommend and how much roughly would you think it would cost ? I would be very happy just to know what the size of your own 4 ft tank is. Many thanks in advance. Also can you recommend a supplier ? Anywhere in Sydney.

Again, many thanks in advance.

happydiscus
Mon Aug 09, 2004, 08:52 AM
can u pm me the stores and numbers and are they just free standing tanks with no hood

Mattzilla
Mon Aug 09, 2004, 01:46 PM
our sponsors have some great quality tanks at very good prices. remember that df members get a discount from most of our sponsors. make sure you get a price from sls or extreme and tell them you are a member of df. they won't let you down.

Proteus
Mon Aug 09, 2004, 02:17 PM
Give Wayne or Rebecca a call at Xtreme...

they will give you a price that will be hard to find anywhere else (for a quality tank)

Taren Point Rd
Taren Point NSW 2229

Phone: (02) 9544 0547

weird
Mon Aug 09, 2004, 02:37 PM
thankyou

I will check out xtreme and also st georges aqaurium.

SLS are fantastic, I only discovered them through this forum, and I have decided I will only buy my fish from them as they are the healthies specimens I have every seen.

I only got interested in discus 3 months ago whilst visiting my wifes relatives in Indonesia. My brother-in-law uses tap water, and not even a heater !

Anway, this hobby is very rewarding and already I have quite a few mini-project going on ... building a automatic water changer (looking at pumps as wee speak), a mini rack (will be making a trip out to some demolition timber places to get cheap wood to make a workbench first - hehe another DIY !), and now a decent size tank.

Proteus
Mon Aug 09, 2004, 11:13 PM
You wont go wrong getting fish from George and the team at SLS...

excellent quality all round.

I would suggest getting a few prices for the tank and accessories you want, then give Xtreme a buzz...

For quality tanks they are my pick in Sydney.

Proteus
Mon Aug 09, 2004, 11:21 PM
FYI, the only retail price I have on hand for a 4ft tank is a 4 x 2 x 2.

48 x 24 x 24 = $265 (all 10mm glass)

one thing you need to be aware of is what gauge glass some of the tanks are made of.

btw the above tank is a very nice sized tank 120G/450L

weird
Tue Aug 10, 2004, 12:29 AM
thanks, I am keen to set a size, and a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft would be ideal - I just have to double check the back seat measurements of my car seat ... I went with a sedan and not a hatch =(. I know that a 4'x 14"x 20" will fit in, as it is similar to my 3ft community tank and I lugged it in the back last time. Just abit worried that a 4'x 14"x 20" will end up too small down the track ? When discus an adult ?

Have included picture of my brother-in-laws favourite fish, louhan ... sorry I know this is a discus forum ... this guy is like a real pet, like a dog or a cat, but with fins.

weird
Tue Aug 10, 2004, 12:31 AM
You get a better idea of his size ...

Proteus
Tue Aug 10, 2004, 12:38 AM
nice looking fish...

hey, a fish is a fish, I dont care too much about the hype against F'Horns etc...

(I think the fish is thinking.... mmmmmm, fresh child for dinner)

:lol:

(BTW, Xtreme can and do deliver)

flukes
Tue Aug 10, 2004, 02:16 AM
I could argue for hours why flowerhorns are just wrong but i wont because its been done 1000 times before.
He is a beut though, heard they are a bit of a monster when it comes to feeding, you ever get the chance to see him chase feeder fish??

weird
Tue Aug 10, 2004, 02:34 AM
Yes, he breeds feeding fish in the front of the house, that may sound weird, but his house has concrete sections covered by metal mesh in the garden leading to the front door. House is in Jakarta.

He drops in about 2-3 in the morning. The fish disappear quite quickly. We stayed at the home for a week, and sometimes a fish would get around the back of the filter, and we would hope the 'feeder fish' would somehow become buddies with lou han, but inevitably he would disappear the next morning.

The fish honestly was not scared of anything, he would confidently come to the front of the tank, and do a little dance in excitement when approached, truly an awesome site.

flukes
Tue Aug 10, 2004, 02:52 AM
Would love to make an outside pond in this house. Has a huge 12,000ltr pond in Perth then when i came here i didnt bother because you cant keep koi in VIC so i never bothered. Would be great to start one up again.

buttnaked
Tue Aug 10, 2004, 07:53 AM
Hey Weird,

I brought a 48x26x18 with 10mm at Auburn aquarium. Cost $399. not cheap

i pick this one because of built quailty, the tank has a sliding glass lids and very well made.

I look at several "good" shops and this was my choice

flukes
Tue Aug 10, 2004, 03:22 PM
As long as your happy with your choice, just so you know most DF sponsors have a special 10% off for DF and ADA members which might have help make your choice. Some stores might only be for on fish iam not sure but its worth asking next time your looking around.

Proteus
Tue Aug 10, 2004, 09:17 PM
I brought a 48x26x18 with 10mm at Auburn aquarium. Cost $399. not cheap

sorry, but that is pure extortion... there is no reason unless it has a curved front panel that it should cost that much, even with 12mm or 15mm glass...

When Xtreme sell a 72x24x24 for $360 the above price sends shivers down my spine...

OUCH!!!

I guess as long as you are happy that is the main thing.

Putting aside the fact that Xtreme are sponsors, the tanks they build CANNOT be surparsed, all 10mm minimum, and the build quality... second to nobody.

My 2 biggest tanks were built by Xtreme (6x2x2 & 6x2.5x2) and with that amount of water in a tank, I wouldnt want to have any questions about build quality...

Plus, you need to factor in delivery and after sales service, which is there if ever needed...

ok, rant over

weird
Thu Aug 12, 2004, 10:41 PM
I concur, the over $300 quotes I mentioned were from the A.u.b.u.r.n. store. They did mention that they had some 'super wicked awesome wow factor' lids or something ... which was not an important factor for me ... I just baulked at the price ... because there are many other things than just the tank ... like the stand , filters, heaters, lighting ... etc which you need to add.

maddyfish
Fri Aug 27, 2004, 02:37 PM
I wish I knew conversion of Austrailian money to U.S. money because those prices for astonomical. My 4ft tank(48x12x20) inches cost $60 U.S. or about what it would cost to fill the gas tank on my wife's car.

Proteus
Fri Aug 27, 2004, 08:04 PM
For that sized tank here we would pay about AU$120 (US$85) but we dont use that paper thin glass that I see on a lot of U.S. built tanks.

AU$1 = approx US$0.71

maddyfish
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 12:50 AM
I have never measured mine till now its glass appears to be 3/8" thick. I don't know what that is in mm.