PDA

View Full Version : A. sp. "Rio Mamore" spawn

Th0mas
Mon May 29, 2006, 03:20 PM
They finally did it, after almost killed a male trifasciata tankmate (I had to remove him on Saturday).

A quick shot of the female and bit of her eggs.

The eggs look fine, all nicely coloured and seems fertiled.

More fingers crossed.

Robdog
Mon May 29, 2006, 03:22 PM
Well done mate. Glad to see I'm not the only person up this late. Are they an Aggie variant?

arjay
Mon May 29, 2006, 03:27 PM
You're kidding... Nice work, you've certainly been getting some good results lately...

arjay
Mon May 29, 2006, 03:29 PM
Well done mate. Glad to see I'm not the only person up this late. Are they an Aggie variant?
They're from the A. trifasciata group... Beautiful fish too, I'm envious...

Robdog
Mon May 29, 2006, 03:36 PM
No doubt about them being beautiful.

Noddy65
Mon May 29, 2006, 09:30 PM
Well done Thomas...congrats
Mike

Th0mas
Tue May 30, 2006, 12:48 AM
Eggs are still there this morning, hopefully they'll last the distance :wink:

Thomas.

Ben
Tue May 30, 2006, 02:01 AM
Well done Thomas!

keep up the great work mate!

cheers
Ben

kevkoi
Tue May 30, 2006, 03:22 AM
Errrm, I distinctly remember an email from a few days back saying they'll take 2-3months more to spawn?? :lol: Told you they were breeding size... :lol: ... more like 2-3days eh?

Nice work.

Robdog
Tue May 30, 2006, 03:31 AM
Approx. how many eggs have you got in there Thomas?

steph
Tue May 30, 2006, 04:20 AM
Congrats Thomas...

You ARE putting things in their water.. ;) :lol:

Cheers

Steph

Th0mas
Tue May 30, 2006, 04:29 AM
Errrm, I distinctly remember an email from a few days back saying they'll take 2-3months more to spawn?? :lol: Told you they were breeding size... :lol: ... more like 2-3days eh?

Nice work.

Yeah Kev, that's what I thought when comparing between them and those in the DATZ and Romer books. The boy still have more to go before reaching his prime, didn't expect "teenage sex" to start so early :shock: .

Thomas.

Th0mas
Tue May 30, 2006, 04:39 AM
No idea on the number of eggs as they were laid in a difficult to see location inside the pot (which is in the corner of the tank. I was only able to see a little more than what's shown on the photo, and account for around 15 eggs. How many more is a total mystery.

As to what I put in the water - hmmm.... sponge filter, a SAE (need to be remove soon, perhaps after the egg hatches if they hatch), heater, the apisto pot, a pot of Amazon sward. Had a spare pair of trfasciata in on Friday nignt and he almost killed the male trifasciata (which is now recovering in a different tank, but has lost the whole caudal fin, hopefully it'll grow back).

The pH measured at 5.0 this morning, which is a surprise for me as I believed the Rio Mamore are found in same region with trifasciata and requires similar water condition (trifasciata will not like pH lower then 5.5). I had a bag of peat in there for 3 days last week, only to remove it when I found the pH has dropped to 5.7 (aparently the residue cause it to drop further).

Nothing else is added to the water - definitely no drugs.

Thomas.

Th0mas
Fri Jun 02, 2006, 02:24 PM
After more and more eggs turned white, tonight the female finally abandon the site.

Oh well, more tweeking. Perhaps next time it'll be better.

Thomas.

parkap
Sun Jun 04, 2006, 12:32 PM
After more and more eggs turned white, tonight the female finally abandon the site.

Oh well, more tweeking. Perhaps next time it'll be better.

Thomas.

Bad luck mate.

Brilliant
Tue Jun 13, 2006, 08:54 PM
Nice red tail!
Mine are just starting to fill out, I hope to be as lucky as you. I am sure they will spawn again for you.

Th0mas
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 01:10 AM
Well it has happened again yesterday.

Upon checking up the tanks at home last night, I discover on female (from BNC) was guarding the pot while others are at the other end of the tank (3 pairs in there). This female looked as if she's had her stomache emptied not long ago so I shine a torch into the pot and discover a cluster of eggs inside.

The spawning male has to be the SLS male - as the BNC males are way too small (about 2/3 of the size of the SLS male).

Will try to get a pic tonight.

More fingers crossed.

Thomas.

Th0mas
Tue Jun 20, 2006, 02:22 PM
Just to bump the post, edit does not change the date nor bump it up.

Thomas.