PDA

View Full Version : Glass Shrimp ???

steph
Mon May 29, 2006, 05:00 AM
Anyone kept glass shrimp as a general algae eater/detrivore in an Apisto tank??

My flying foxes have got to go but I dont want to leave the tank without any clean up crew at all.

I need something that wont go for the eggs/wrigglers.

Cheers

Steph

arjay
Mon May 29, 2006, 05:25 AM
Glass shrimp are good but your Apistos will most likely try to eat them (especially the larger Apistos) and they have a tendency to go where they're not wanted (to their own detriment).

I think Otocinclus affinis are your best bet, they won't generally touch eggs or wrigglers and if your tank is big enough they won't have any trouble staying out of the way when your Apistos are feeling particularly territorial... Best thing is they're one of the better algae eaters. (not so good with uneaten food though).

arjay
Mon May 29, 2006, 06:41 AM
BTW I didn't mean that the Apistos would eat the shrimp in one go... You'll just find that the shrimp will start turning up minus appendages... :shock:

fishgeek
Mon May 29, 2006, 08:05 AM
if by glass shrimp in australia you mean some of the palemonid shrimp
then
there not the best algae eating shrips, more likely to clean up all the left over food particulate matter and detritus so still useful
they are usually slightly larger shrimp so less shnaces of being eaten , although as mentioned this can be a problem

more so though they prefer harder alkaline waters and so are not ideal apisto tank mates

i ahve been trying to find something in this category to help my lazy fish keeping practice
red chery shrimp are doing very nicely for me though again they are hard water shrimp

possibly bee,bumble bee, crystal red or tiger shrimp which are all cardinia species would be ideal
they in theory like the water of apisto's and all breed with no plantonic stage so reproducing them in home tanks should not be difficult
i havent managed yet!
unfortunately they are smaller sized shrimp and i know my panduro would eat them given half a chance
then again they have batterd guppy dithers within 15minutes of them being in the tank

at present i have a couple of amano's who are tolerating the softer acidic water .. they are just too much work for me to breed though

andrew

arjay
Mon May 29, 2006, 08:31 AM
Glass shrimp are the only ones available in Oz though (being native), all the others mentioned are on the prohibited import list.

Otos are also a good choice because they prefer similar water conditions to Apistos being found (I believe) in the same waterways.

Waldo
Mon May 29, 2006, 04:13 PM
A gravel vac is best, however if you want a little mix in your tank how about oto's as were mentioned before.

steph
Tue May 30, 2006, 01:16 AM
Fishgeek's description is best, "lazy fish keeping" ;)

I also like seeing multi species tanks not just one tank/one species. Its just a matter of getting the right mix.

And waldo I would use a gravel vac but I cant get past crypts to get to the sand. :lol:

Will investigate some oto's as well.

I was more worried about the shrimp eating eggs and wrigglers not the fish eating the shrimps. Im sure they would enjoy the tasty but relatively expensive meal.

Cheers

Steph