PDA

View Full Version : Tiny White Specks Crawling On The Glass !

keinert
Sat May 27, 2006, 11:22 PM
I've been loosing Discus for a few weeks. Today I noticed something on the glass that looked like algee starting to grow. When I looked very closely, they are moving! Very tiny, barely visable, white in color, they look like a worm but are thin as a human hair and only a few thousands of an inch long. Any ideas???
Thanks, Kevin.

marg
Sun May 28, 2006, 12:01 AM
Planaria keinart.

Usually through overfeeding.

Do a large water change and siphon the gravel well - then continue with water changes over the next week or so and cut down on the amount that you are feeding at each feedtime. They say that you never completely get rid of them but plenty of water changes and less food cuts down their numbers. Investing in some bottom feeders will also help get rid of any excess food.

As to the fact that you have been losing Discus, Have you had any new additions to your tank that could be carrying something foreign into the tank lately?

What are the symptoms of the Fish you are losing, if any?

What is your usual water changing regime?

It would be an idea to post your water parameters, that may give an indication of what your problem is.

Hope this helps.,

Regards,

Marg.

keinert
Sun May 28, 2006, 02:16 AM
Hi,
It's a bare bottom tank. 30% water change 3 times per week, 6.9PH 88 deg. Zero Amon or Nitrites. Filter rinsed 2 times each week. Let's assume a clean tank, what harmful parasites could they be?

I don't think they are Planaria. I have a 300x microscope. They look like a tube, move like a worm and they may have a sucker type opening at one end (hard to tell, I don't see an actual mouth or teeth), they don't have "eyes" or internal organs like the Planaria pictures that I find when I do a "Google Images" search for Planaria.