PDA

View Full Version : International Discus Show - Sydney, Australia

Proteus
Fri Aug 06, 2004, 11:12 AM
Announcing the 3rd Annual Australian Discus Show...

Where : Rose Hill Gardens Race Course

When : 5th - 7th November 2004 (edit - date corrected)

What : International Competition Show of Discus and display of other Tropical Fish.

Who : Local and International Exhibitors and THOUSANDS of local visitors coming to gaze in wonder …

200 + Tanks!!!

The judges for the show will be Jeff Tan, Dr Lin (Singapore), Mr
Kurn (Taiwan), Mr Yeng will judge the Novice Class and Trevor
Parkes will be the Head Judge.

Categories:

Novice Class – Eligibility to enter this class;
3 tanks or less at home
Must never have bred and raised a spawn of discus
Must not be involved in the trade
Once you have a won a place in the novice class you must then
compete in classes 1 to 8

1 - Open Class – includes Ghost, Heckel, White and any colour
variety not listed in classes 2 to 8

2 - Solid Red - includes Marlboro, Melon & San Merah

3 – Solid Blue – includes Blue Diamond and Cobalt

4 – Brown Base– includes Wild Brown & Red Alanquer

5 - Spotted – includes any colour with a spot, Leopards, RSG

6 – SnakeSkin – includes any colour with a snakeskin and no spots

7 – Pigeon – includes solid, patterned, pigeon snake, serrated, golden

8 – Turquoise – includes, Blue, Red & Chequered

sunshinediscus
Fri Aug 06, 2004, 09:47 PM
Hi proteus,

What is the dates the show is on during November?

Proteus
Fri Aug 06, 2004, 10:51 PM
oops, sorry forgot that part...

5th to 7th November 2004

:wink:

flukes
Sat Aug 07, 2004, 03:38 AM
And how much will you be charging for accomidatation at your house, for all us interstaters??? :lol: :wink: Save me the room with the Ocean greens.

Ill sleep head-to-toe with you Ro for 4 days!!

Proteus
Sat Aug 07, 2004, 04:37 AM
UG!!!

carpet is a limited resource in this place... (need all the tank space I can get)

we might be able to work something out...

:wink:

nicholas76
Sun Aug 15, 2004, 11:35 AM
I'll Be there!!!!

anyone representing this site??

proteus organise some meter maid girls around a tank and i'm sure i can locate your stand. :D

Proteus
Sun Aug 15, 2004, 01:51 PM
:shock:

Proteus
Sat Aug 21, 2004, 09:00 AM
FYI...

The dates have been corrected

it is not on during the week, it is on the weekend...

kalebjarrod
Sat Aug 21, 2004, 09:04 AM
so what should a novice expect to learn from such a day.

i personally have never been to a Discus conference, is thier somthing for everyone.

should i pack a lunch

should i bring my two kids?

give us the low down

Proteus
Sat Aug 21, 2004, 09:14 AM
Lots and lots of gorgeous fish

like minded, pleasant and friendly folk...

and maybe the grub might be good enough to go back for seconds...

I reckon the kids would love it... (if they like fish of course)

heck, combine it with a trip to the Sydney Aquarium, meet up with a few of us crazy folk, what else could you ask for...

a 12 ft tank... mmmmmmm geesh, I can read your mind... :P

sunshinediscus
Sat Aug 21, 2004, 10:43 AM
Hey Ryan,

I went to the last one in Sydney and had a great time, as Proteus said lots of gorgeous fish and a good time meeting people and general fish chat. I also enjoyed the reptiles and the other fish that were on display. I was down there with a few other queenslanders and we done a shop crawl and visited the Sydney Aquarium, lots of things to do. A great time was had by all. There will be a few brissy discus fanatics going there this time as well , hope to see you there. If the wife and kids don't like fish leave them at home.

Proteus
Sat Aug 21, 2004, 10:55 AM
If the wife and kids don't like fish leave them at home.

I was going to say that :wink:

kalebjarrod
Sat Aug 21, 2004, 11:03 PM
yeah i agree

if i don't like the wife and kids take the fish

hang on was that what you said? sounds good to me anyway!

i guess i'm gonna do some reserch and book a plane

GET READY SYDNEY HERE COMES A DODDGEY QUEENSLANDER

flukes
Sun Aug 22, 2004, 02:20 AM
hahahah i can see ryan will see the tanks at the show only having a sponge filter, him shaking his head, "that wont do" and start hooking up a 40gal sump too each 30gal tank. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Watch out indeed.!!

kalebjarrod
Sun Aug 22, 2004, 06:20 AM
SPONGE FILTERS

how many tanks do i need to setup?

might need to borrow the semi for the weekend :wink:

Proteus
Sun Aug 22, 2004, 06:50 AM
OMG, should I arrange some welding gear, maybe some plumbers as well???

kalebjarrod
Sun Aug 22, 2004, 06:54 AM
got a series of plumbers ready to go

and i can weld!

i think i will need a chemist (mines busy)

and maybe a nerosurgen just in case!

Escher
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 02:02 PM
It now appears the dates are 5-7 November. Stay tuned!

Proteus
Sat Aug 28, 2004, 02:44 PM
that is correct, I am just about to change the date now...

skoom
Fri Sep 03, 2004, 12:12 AM
Just wondering apart from fish on display, will there be any opportunities to buy fish?

Trebs
Mon Sep 06, 2004, 05:37 AM
Skoom, there were at least three stalls selling last year. Assume it will be the same again.

Tryhard
Mon Sep 06, 2004, 09:43 AM
Hey Ryan pick me up on the way through - I'm sure I can impersonate a neurosurgeon (frankenfurter style) :twisted:

kalebjarrod
Mon Sep 06, 2004, 10:44 AM
i would but the piolot may have a problem with it

maybe from an airport! LOL

ctvu
Thu Oct 07, 2004, 12:28 AM
Hi Proteus

I am interested in this event, pls give more specific about the location since we are Melbournee and it would be more helpfull it you could tell us how to get there by car or public transport etc ...

Ps: if you still have some space left or little corner around the tank please spare it to me :lol:

Thanks

Escher
Thu Oct 07, 2004, 04:12 AM
Rose Hill is near Parramatta.
If you are driving from Melb get off the M5 (motorway) at Liverpool and take the Hume Hwy, then the Cumberland Hwy (still in Liverpool). This would eventually take you right in front of the race track (in a very long about way). Of course there are shorter ways; but do you have any idea on accomodation? There is also a train station at the race track.
Check www.whereis.com.au for a map
Gianluca

flukes
Thu Oct 07, 2004, 08:29 AM
Thats not the Melbourne cup weekend is it?? :shock: Better not be!!

If not ill be there, ill tell the mrs we need a weekend away. It will just be a coincecedence that there is a discus comp on.

kalebjarrod
Thu Oct 07, 2004, 10:13 AM
sorry guys and gals

i can't get thier now

big gala dinner presentation :cry: one of the sponsers so its work thing i have to go to

BUMMER

happydiscus
Thu Oct 07, 2004, 10:37 AM
i'll most likely be there with my dad as he will be back from shanghai business trip by then so can't wait till november maybe ill put a countdown clock on my PC :)

weird
Thu Oct 07, 2004, 01:10 PM
Bummer Ryan, I was hoping to see you there.

I hope most of us, especially those interstate, we can all get together , maybe for a beverage or two ! Can't wait. We should organise something.

ctvu
Thu Oct 07, 2004, 01:36 PM
Rose Hill is near Parramatta.
If you are driving from Melb get off the M5 (motorway) at Liverpool and take the Hume Hwy, then the Cumberland Hwy (still in Liverpool). This would eventually take you right in front of the race track (in a very long about way). Of course there are shorter ways; but do you have any idea on accomodation? There is also a train station at the race track.
Check www.whereis.com.au for a map
Gianluca

Thank you for that, how about accomodation? would you have any idea ? we would not mind any offer :)

Marrs7
Fri Oct 08, 2004, 05:49 AM
Good question Skoom...

Is there an entry cost or people just having a look and learn?

miscus
Wed Oct 13, 2004, 02:56 AM
There will also be the Annual Sydney Pet Expo on that weekend and I believe there were lots of fish, including discus, last year to look at. I will be travelling from Canberra to check out both, and may even find time to pop into SLS. My tank is almost ready to get my first discus into it so I will be looking to buy very soon.

kevkoi
Fri Oct 22, 2004, 02:39 AM
SLS is a part sponsor of the Discus show!!

We will most likely have a few entrants in the competition in association with our breeders and exporters.

A few siblings of these show entrants will be available to purchase at SLS.

Unfortunately we will not be setting up stall at this year's discus show for lack of staff. :cry:

flukes
Sat Oct 23, 2004, 01:51 AM
Ill run the stall for you kev!!

Me ryan and a slab of crownies.!!

Jonesy
Wed Oct 27, 2004, 11:31 AM
any idea on what it will cost to get in ?????? ot that it maters im going anyway...

fishyfish
Wed Oct 27, 2004, 11:59 PM
G'day all, questions questions? does any know about opening times etc?
I've been looking pretty hard to find info about this event and the pet expo and havent found very much at all Dont get me wrong im looking forward to it comming from Adelaide and all for a international avent it's pretty hush hush .See you there .

Jason

jim
Thu Oct 28, 2004, 12:28 AM
I wish there are some activities and presentation from discus experts. I love to learn more about discus and not just watch them.

Proteus
Sat Oct 30, 2004, 11:31 PM
Next weekend folks...

http://www.discusforums.com/images/adais.jpg

nicholas76
Tue Nov 02, 2004, 05:44 AM
anyone from melbourne going for sure???????????

ill be there ... taking photos!

chris_d
Wed Nov 03, 2004, 12:49 PM
Will there be an enrty fee?

parasite
Thu Nov 04, 2004, 08:10 AM
unfortunately i cant make it , would those taking pictures be kind enough to post them here for those from interstate. Thanks

Billy
Thu Nov 04, 2004, 11:36 AM
Where exaclty is the Rose Hill Race course ??

can anyone give me a proper address of this event??? (plz include street number ..etc)

Proteus
Thu Nov 04, 2004, 12:49 PM
Ummmmm, Rosehill Racecourse is basically the size of most suburbs...

Just a few minutes East of Parramatta

jim
Thu Nov 04, 2004, 10:22 PM
It's on James Ruse DR...near the freeway or Western HWY...you can't miss it
On top right of the map..,

Billy
Fri Nov 05, 2004, 12:39 AM
thx for the help

see u guys there

jim
Fri Nov 05, 2004, 02:58 AM
I just came back from Auburn Aquarium this afternoon...they ask me to leave a feedback on behalf of them....Basically they have no idea about this event untill I told them. They said they love to support the event and have a stand in the event...but they have not been told at all...They were so suprised..and it's too late for them to contact ADS.

I also think it's a good idea to do advertisment on the local newspaper as well.or at least some ads in front of major LFS .I think it's worth the money to bring in extra people...

Proteus
Fri Nov 05, 2004, 10:30 AM
Jim, an FYI for Auburn Aquariums.

The show has been advertised on here for months. It has also been mentioned several times on the AM radio stations as part of the Sydney Pet & Animal expo, which is the largest of its kind in the Southern Hemisphere. There was an ad in the local papers as well, I think 1-2 weeks ago.

:?

Escher
Fri Nov 05, 2004, 11:39 AM
THere are over 130 fish in this show and to me some of these are spectacular. If you can, make sure you visit; you will not be disappointed. THere should also be on sale a cd with the pics of all fish in the show, indicating the winners for each category. :D :D :D

parasite
Fri Nov 05, 2004, 12:04 PM
can we purchase photo cd from ADA and get them sent interstate ?? if so could u please let us know what the cost would be

thanks

Escher
Sat Nov 06, 2004, 09:39 PM
I'll find out and let you know! :?

Escher
Mon Nov 08, 2004, 11:34 PM
Yes the disc will be available for sale and can be mailed out. Not sure about the price for mailing, but it should not be much at all.

parasite
Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:03 AM
Thanks Escher.

DiscusMan
Tue Nov 09, 2004, 02:43 AM
OK,

Hi there all those interested in getting photos of the show.

I am the webmaster for the ADA and creater of the show CD.

I have taken a photo of every fish form the show. Most of them are clear and show the fish well. Some are a bit fuzzy so i apologise now for that.

I will be compiling the into a finished state sometime this week. I will need to discus with the executive committee the prices etc but it wont be much as i dont want just one sale to happen then everyone makes of copy of the one disc.

I am making the CD to try to raise some funds for our club at the same time as the show is a rather expensive thing to conduct.

The CD's will feature every fish form the show categorised into the class they where show in and the winners will be clearly visible as well as the owners of the fish and the fishes origins and perhaps contact details for the owners as well.

There is also many photos of the presentations and the setting up of hte show so you can see the size of what we do to make the show.

The CD will have a printed cover and label stated that it is the 2004 ADA international Discus show CD.

Any questions you have can be directed to me at contact@ausdiscus.com.au making reference to the show CD.

I will post on the club website when the CD is available. www.ausdiscus.com.au