PDA

View Full Version : Some help with sumps, PVC and efficiency

goldenpigeon
Fri May 26, 2006, 11:21 AM
hey all,
im in the middle of designing a new set up which i hope to start making in about 3 months or so. this project could be a while off however i am trying to make plans now so i can save the right dosh and whack this thing togeather instead of spacing the project out.

Ok the set up ATM will be 6 - 3x18x18 tanks. there will be 2 individual stands and 3 teirs on each stand. i will have sumps etc between the stands so it filters both stands of tanks.

Ok im trying to make this thing display quality as it will live in my lounge room but it needs to function to full potential and i have something planned to quieten the sump down. i also want to make the set up easy to assemble and dis-assemble. i know how to do this as well.

i want to have 2 sumps for the whole set up. i want 1 sump for the top 2 tanks and another for the bottom 4.

i would like some advise on how big i should make the sumps, how big i need the pipes to be etc. the rest i think i can do myself i think.

BTW im drawing it all up on AutoCAD (graphics program) so that i know exactly how its going to turn out and all measurements for everything because i dont have much room for error nor a unlimited budget. so if someone can help me out i can draw it up and get a much better idea of how it will work and what i need to make the set up.

many thanks in advance
Cheers
David

Nathan
Fri May 26, 2006, 12:49 PM
how would you make the sump quieter?

SirClutzz
Fri May 26, 2006, 10:29 PM
I would also be interested in any comments on this, I have a 6*2*2 tank that I am going to drill and setup a sump, but have no idea how large the drain piping should be or how many drain pipes I should have? Any ideas, or comments. Anyone out there have a tank of this size already drilled??

GP, being a fellow Gold Coaster, if you need assistance putting this all together once you get you specs and parts, give me a yell, I love building things,and I might be able to help you out a bit.

Thanks

goldenpigeon
Fri May 26, 2006, 10:49 PM
hey SirClutzz thanks for the offer :D yes i might take you up on it in the future and i would be happy to assit you as well as i too love to build things.

Nathan i am planning a sump cupboard which will be sound proofed. it wont totally illiminate the sound but it will help quieten it down. i am going to experiment with this so i dont want to give to much away yet ;)

marg
Sat May 27, 2006, 01:05 AM
Sump Cupboard sounds good David - you could pad the top of it and use it as a bench seat where you could sit and drool over all your babies when you get them!! :lol: :lol: :lol: .,

Regards,

Marg.

goldenpigeon
Sat May 27, 2006, 01:17 AM
lol marg,
it will actually be as tall as the stands because it will have 2 sumps in it and some shelves. it will also contain all the power cords and most of the plumbing will be inside.

good idea thoagh :D

marg
Sat May 27, 2006, 01:23 AM
Can't wait to see it once you have built it - it sounds like it is going to be a really tidy unit.

That's the only thing I hate about my tanks (they are not a sump type setup though) - all the leads etc. that are visible. Your Sump Cupboard sounds like a good idea, it's got me thinking!!.

Good luck with your project. By the way, all the fish are going well.,

Regards,

Marg.

goldenpigeon
Sat May 27, 2006, 01:27 AM
hehe excellent i was going to pm you soon cause i would like to see them again :D

yes one of my aims for the set up is tidyness. i cant stand having cords and pipes going everywhere.

cheers
David

Waldo
Wed May 31, 2006, 10:00 PM
Here's my old tank system worked great. I started importing with plastic rubbermaids. HA it was all automated and never had any ammonia problems. Cost alot in electric bills. Aparently plastic doesn't hold much heat especially when the sumps were on the concrete basement floor. The pump RO and UV cost more then anything else combined.

A) is a side view of the tank. When I wanted to do a 100% water change I just pulled the pvc tube out and let it drain to the fitting.

B) top view of the tanks. The rubbermaids had a hole in the top of the lid where the water was sprayed into. This kept an even oxygen amount in the tank and kept humidity and sounds from the water spraying in.

C) 2x 55g sumps. One always had sponges in it and the heater and was had an eternal pump to keep turbulence so I could mix salt and have high oxygen in the return pump. The other I kept incase I needed extra bio. However It was such an effective system I used it often for a few big fish.

What it doesn't show is the butterfly valves on the tanks I could cut off one tank and medicate it individually. Also the sump was drilled and a hose was entered into the pvc near the return pump I turn the water on and it was pre mixed while the excess water just drained out the side. It took me about 5 minutes a day to do a water change.

goldenpigeon
Thu Jun 01, 2006, 06:40 AM
hey waldo,
that is an excellent system and a few handy hints and idea for me there!
cheers
David

oscar
Sat Jun 17, 2006, 09:35 AM
GP,

Draw your plan up. Let me know what version of AutoCAD you're using and send the drawing to me i'll have a look and offer whatever asistance i can.

I have a fair bit of experience and education in piping and fluid flow/dynamics.

Osacr.

goldenpigeon
Sun Jun 18, 2006, 12:16 AM
hey oscar that would be great! im using CAD2006 (the newest one)

oscar
Sun Jun 18, 2006, 09:37 PM
No Probs.

It'll have to wait until next week as i'm heading to the Gold Coast tomorrow for a work meeting that goes until Friday afternoon.

I don't have CAD2006 so when it gets closer we'll organise something.