PDA

View Full Version : Whcih is the best brand for presurised CO2 system?

vince
Fri May 26, 2006, 01:14 AM
Hey, guys:

I am thinking about getting a Presurised CO2 system for my tank(200L).

I have seen many brands around. Sera, JBL, Dupla, Aquamedic...

I am just wondering which brand works best and has the best value.

Now, i am more leaning toward the JBL....

Has any of you used any of these brand?

Please give some comments.

many thanx

vince

Proteus
Fri May 26, 2006, 01:17 AM
I would rate the Sera above the JBL, and the AquaMedic over the Dupla systems.

Apart from that they are all good European brands.

There is also the DIY path, but I am one of the ones that prefer a complete system ready to go.

vince
Fri May 26, 2006, 01:33 AM
mate:

Thanks for the comment!

May i ask that why sera is better than the JBL?

Do you mean aquamedic is the best? but it only hold 350g of CO2 gas which is the smallest cylinder.

I noticed fewer shops are carrying JBLs, more are keen on the Aquamedic...i just dont see the reason.

many thanx

vince

Proteus
Fri May 26, 2006, 01:39 AM
JBL do not sell a complete system, it is in components (however not hard to put together). I am also referring to complete systems, i.e. including a controller computer. The Sera and AquaMedic units are very highly rated although the AquaMedic does get expensive with the addition of a controller.

If you are just after the basic system without a controller, Sera & JBL would be my choice. (personally I run 3 complete Sera systems, and have never had a problem)

vince
Fri May 26, 2006, 01:51 AM
Thank you very much mate.

Nathan
Fri May 26, 2006, 02:35 AM
y was this moved?

Proteus
Fri May 26, 2006, 02:38 AM
It is plant related, not a general Discus question

vince
Fri May 26, 2006, 05:01 AM
Once it comes to reliability, should all these brand be the same?

For JBL, is there a JBL branded PH controller around?

I am planning on the simple set up first without magnetic valve or PH controller, but i may upgrade later on.

If i have the CO2 on 24/7 should fish survive at night?

Bad Inferno
Fri May 26, 2006, 12:37 PM
Do yourself and discus a favour and do not used a pressurised CO2 system without controller. If you cannot afford the controller don't get a pressurised system.

Nathan
Fri May 26, 2006, 12:46 PM
theres no need for the co2 to be on at night as the plants will not se the co2, so the fish may survive, but theres no point havn it on at night

Bad Inferno
Fri May 26, 2006, 12:57 PM
I only bubble co2 through an air stone which is just in the tank. When turned on, a very very small stream of bubbles will move my ph easily 0.1 in a matter of minutes. Thus not having control of turning this on/off automatically your fluctuations could be VERY large.

Without CO2 injection at all, I have seen the tank pH swing between 6.5 (day) to 6.3 (night). So dosing CO2 only during the day may induce a swing twice as large of that normally seen.

rob

vince
Sat May 27, 2006, 04:56 AM
mn.....looks like the magneic valve is a must.

I may look into that.

thanx

vince

vince
Tue May 30, 2006, 11:46 PM
hey, Bad Inferno:

When you say complete system, do you mean the CO2 system plus magetic valve or PH controller as well?

thx

Bad Inferno
Wed May 31, 2006, 06:50 AM
The valve has to be operated (opened & Closed) by something. Really need a ph controller.

Unless your a fanatic about the plants I could think of better things to spend 1,000 dollars on. I would not spend this kind of money myself, it was just that I got a controller, solenoid and nupro needle valve for nothing and use a fire extinguisher as my CO2 source thus really only needed to buy a CO2 regulator and some fittings, all up costs 200.00

I use mine to stabilise the ph of my tank 1st and 2nd for plant growth assistance. Thus I use a controller. If you just want to experiment just buy a yeast kit and see if you notice plant growth. The key to happy discus is consistant water parameters and pressurised CO2 without a controller will produce large (if not HUGE) ph swings = SAD discus

cheers rob

vince
Fri Jun 02, 2006, 12:14 AM
Thanks mate.

I find PH controllers are a bit of expensive.

But like you said, i may have to get it.

vince

Brilliant
Fri Jun 02, 2006, 02:49 AM
I have co2, I only dose during the day. Keeping surface agitation down will help keep parameters solid.

IMO controllers are not needed. I have read that the probe can swing and if not calibrated often the results can be fatal. I trust my needle valve and solenoid more then a supposedly drifting pH controller.

I created my system out of seperate components rather then going with a complete system. You can choose the best of each brand. I wouldnt use an Aquamedic regulator but I love their reactor.

I use an Aquamedic 1000 reactor. I am very happy with this reactor. You can SEE it working.

Proteus
Fri Jun 02, 2006, 04:00 AM
I have read that the probe can swing and if not calibrated often the results can be fatal. I trust my needle valve and solenoid more then a supposedly drifting pH controller

I must disagree with that comment, unless the author of that comment was using some cheap and nasty controller.

I use 2 different branded controllers, AquaMedic & Sera and they have been in use for well over a year. They are calibrated every 2-3 months (my choice to do it this often) and after the probe is cleaned and calibrated in pH 4, 7 & 9 solution the reading afterwards is never more than 0.1 different to what it was prior to the clean and calibration.

I also use one of the Sera units as a pH monitor (not connected to a C02 system) and it has saved me from losing a tank load of fish due to a massive pH crash as I put too much peat in one of my filter compartments. I noticed the safe range indicator light was off, and the reading was showing 5.85 therefore I was able to take the action required to remedy the issue, no fish were lost. Without that unit it probably would have been too late by the time I noticed a problem.

Given these units are not cheap, they have there place right alongside filters for those that want or need them.

Davo
Fri Jun 02, 2006, 09:02 AM
Vince,

If you are looking at buying a PH controller I have a Dupla controller for sale. It has hardly been used. It retails for $660 and it is for sale for $300.

Dupla are German made and are quality products.

Dave

Bad Inferno
Fri Jun 02, 2006, 10:38 AM
If you have never had a continuous pH meter you don't really understand the ph cycle of your tank (day/night) and if you could only see what a small injection of CO2 can do to the pH you will appreciate the requirements of pH monitoring and control when trying to balance happy fish with plant growth.

Brilliant
Fri Jun 02, 2006, 07:01 PM
I have read that the probe can swing and if not calibrated often the results can be fatal. I trust my needle valve and solenoid more then a supposedly drifting pH controller

I must disagree with that comment, unless the author of that comment was using some cheap and nasty controller.

I use 2 different branded controllers, AquaMedic & Sera and they have been in use for well over a year. They are calibrated every 2-3 months (my choice to do it this often) and after the probe is cleaned and calibrated in pH 4, 7 & 9 solution the reading afterwards is never more than 0.1 different to what it was prior to the clean and calibration.

I also use one of the Sera units as a pH monitor (not connected to a C02 system) and it has saved me from losing a tank load of fish due to a massive pH crash as I put too much peat in one of my filter compartments. I noticed the safe range indicator light was off, and the reading was showing 5.85 therefore I was able to take the action required to remedy the issue, no fish were lost. Without that unit it probably would have been too late by the time I noticed a problem.

Given these units are not cheap, they have there place right alongside filters for those that want or need them.

I have never experienced this problem. Just a second hand account of what happened and a tankfull of dead fish in the morning scared me to death. I will not argue with your point, most likely bad equipment to boot....I would agree with that.

The problem is most people arent going to spend the money on the equipment. My comment pretty much goes with that in mind. This is a local equipment issue with me and I am not quite sure how it effects you.

Point taken.

Proteus
Fri Jun 02, 2006, 09:15 PM
At the end of the day you have good products, and you have the cheapie brigade. Whilst in a lot of cases the cheapies work fine and do the job intended, occassionally one or two let the rest down, this also goes for some of the well known brands as well. Yes, as I stated before there is the issue of affordability and yes, C02 tanks can be successfully maintained without a controller. It all comes down to the individual hobbyist, some like there toys, some would rather spend the cash on other pieces of equipment.

vince
Wed Jun 07, 2006, 11:52 PM
hwy, guys:

What do you think of the TUNZE regulator?

Bad Inferno
Thu Jun 08, 2006, 12:14 AM
Did not find too many options....so I ended up with a TUNZE. has been OK although pretty simple technology

vince
Thu Jun 08, 2006, 01:48 AM
mate:

what do you mean by simply ?

i thought all the regulators should be the same?

rytis
Thu Jun 08, 2006, 04:04 AM
Re: Whcih is the best brand for presurised CO2 system?
i think most important is the reactor: either go directly into filter skipping reactor (as i do but some people say it's not good for filter) or make sure circulation is good so co2 reaches all corners of tank.

Bad Inferno
Thu Jun 08, 2006, 04:48 AM
Simple, meaning there is not too much in the way that differentiates regulators they all do the same job. I would be looking at what extra's come with the reg, gauges, needle valve, bubble counters etc.

Proteus
Thu Jun 08, 2006, 10:51 AM
You do not want C02 going into a pressurised filter, period.

It will degrade the ability of the filter by removing the oxygenation process of the nitrogen cycle.

fish_r
Fri Jun 09, 2006, 01:29 PM
hmmm iv'e just got 5 discus and run pressurised Co2
milwaukee reg with bubble counter and needle valve and solenoid.
and have it set on a timer to close off when the lights go off, i have a digital pH pen and test at night with lights off then morning with the lights on and pH only varies from a cpl of points IE: 7.0 - 7.1
is this ok ? or do u advise that i get a controller ?

Bad Inferno
Fri Jun 09, 2006, 10:04 PM
Its good that your pH is stable however seems strange your pH is reading 7.0 with CO2 injection....UNless your KH is around 4-6 which equates to a co2 concentration of ~20mg which is OK

what is your kh reading you need to know this to work out your co2 concentration.

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/kh-ph-co2-chart.html

Have you checked the calibration of your pH pen ?

vince
Sat Jun 10, 2006, 12:44 AM
I have seen the milwaukee reg on the internet.

It looks absolutely brilliant.

Does it work well?

How much does it cost? on the internet is only a picture , but no price related.

The company sells them is located in Goldcoast with isn't far from Brisbane.

If it is that good, i will definitely get one.

thanx

revkev
Sat Jun 10, 2006, 03:50 AM
MILWAUKEE REGULATOR MA957 $239.32
CONTROLLER PH Meter SMS122 $240.00

fish_r
Sat Jun 10, 2006, 09:05 AM
ts good that your pH is stable however seems strange your pH is reading 7.0 with CO2 injection....UNless your KH is around 4-6 which equates to a co2 concentration of ~20mg which is OK

what is your kh reading you need to know this to work out your co2 concentration.
Have you checked the calibration of your pH pen ?

iv'e just setup a new internal reactor so still testing this new one, but b4 that i was running a DIY inline reactor and had a kH of 6-7 so was getting around 25ppm Co2, but the inline reactor devoloped a hailrine crack and i lost about 30ltrs or water onto my carpet "Doh" so have setup the internal reactor
"Dupla 400" will test my kH tonight and let u know.
yes i did callibrate my pen, but it said to callibrate with pH 6.86, but i used pH 7 is that a problem ?
i also have a peat base with aquaclay as a substrate, so the peat might have something to do with it...

I have seen the milwaukee reg on the internet.
It looks absolutely brilliant.
Does it work well?
How much does it cost? on the internet is only a picture , but no price related.
The company sells them is located in Goldcoast with isn't far from Brisbane.
if it is that good, i will definitely get one.

when i was running my inline reactor i did have a problem with the solenoid not shutting off "BUT" i wasnt using a non return valve so a little water was getting into the piston and housing, since fitting my internal reactor i have got a nrv and stripped the solenoid down and dryed it and lubed it up and all seems fine now :) imo "for the price" a very good reg
this is where i got mine
http://www.milwaukeemeters.com.au/aacontrolpHANDORP.htm
same shop as u mentioned i think
i paid $189 inc freight for the reg and Brian has quoted me $200 + freight for the sms 122 controller, do ur ordering over the phone if u get one as the net price list is rrp :)