PDA

View Full Version : water circulation rates

Aerzenspider
Thu May 25, 2006, 02:08 PM
Firstly, just like to say hi to everyone as this is the first time I’ve posted here.

Now then, I was wondering if you guy’s could give me some advice? I’m in the process of setting up a 530 litre tank and have done a great deal of reading up on filtration and recommended water circulation rates, but the advice seems to swing from three times an hour up to about seven!!? I am going to use Eheim filters, but with the pump output at the top end of the professional 3 at 1700 l/h it looks like I’ll be doubling up and was wondering if I should link these in a serial arrangement or stand alone? I should add this will be a planted tank with a UV sterilizer fitted to at least one of the canisters and Controlled C02 system and heating cable in the substrate.

Also the water is pre-prepared via a RO unit and stored in a food grade drum until water change is required. Hope that gives you enough info to help me out? Many thanks I advance.

phear
Thu May 25, 2006, 02:54 PM
welcome to the forum mate.

if it were me i would run 2 seperate units either side of the tank with spray bars at the surface to airrade the water. just get 1 good quality uv steraliser and run on 1 of the filters. the reason i suggest running 2 units seperatly is that when you clean 1 u still have a full canister of bacteria and there will be enough in either 1 at each filter clean to keep the tank and fish happy and keep it cycled! the water storage is a good idea and makes water changes a breese with a decent pump and just drain and fill without a hassle!

just make sure u get some other cheapish fish to start the cycling proces rather than using discus as a cycling fish as they get stressed easily enough!

just my 2c worth others will post there opinions

Jamie

SirClutzz
Thu May 25, 2006, 09:43 PM
Welcome,

I agree with most of what phear stated above, but if it is a planted tank, you may want to place the spray bars below the water surface to reduce surface aggitation, otherwise you will just be de-gasing off all of your co2.

Once good idea, is to have the two filters intakes at opposite ends of the tank, so effectivly each filter is concentrating on one half of the tank, you should get better filteration this way, with fewer dead spots in the tank.

HTH

rytis
Tue Jun 06, 2006, 04:02 AM
water circulation rates

from my experience too much circulation is NOT GOOD, no matter how you place out the output (spray bar or spray mist...)

just a couple of days ago i was emptying a bin with a filter (intake only) and i noticed there is still a large current (lots of movement,,) just from intake.... discus dont like strong current.

btw, i have an eihem pro3 filter in my 125g tank... im considering replacing it with smaller: too much current (great for plants, but i think maybe too much for discus, not sure yet...)

taksan
Tue Jun 06, 2006, 05:44 AM
Firstly, just like to say hi to everyone as this is the first time I’ve posted here.

Now then, I was wondering if you guy’s could give me some advice? I’m in the process of setting up a 530 litre tank and have done a great deal of reading up on filtration and recommended water circulation rates, but the advice seems to swing from three times an hour up to about seven!!? I am going to use Eheim filters, but with the pump output at the top end of the professional 3 at 1700 l/h it looks like I’ll be doubling up and was wondering if I should link these in a serial arrangement or stand alone? I should add this will be a planted tank with a UV sterilizer fitted to at least one of the canisters and Controlled C02 system and heating cable in the substrate.

Also the water is pre-prepared via a RO unit and stored in a food grade drum until water change is required. Hope that gives you enough info to help me out? Many thanks I advance.

1 pro 3 with a 530l (5x2x2?) tank should be about perfect.