PDA

View Full Version : what are these?

wickedglass
Thu May 25, 2006, 12:31 AM
they come from the Rio Nanay in Peru
anyone got any idea what they are? agassizii somethings maybe? they're certainly a lot more deep bodied than any agassizii I've seen.

Waldo
Thu May 25, 2006, 12:49 AM
My first thought would be Apistogramma Oregon. and that aint it unless it's a man made morph.

steph
Thu May 25, 2006, 01:15 AM
Without my books my first gut feel was A.panduro - the real one, especially with the big wedge of black in the caudal fin.

Definately NOT A aggasizzi.

Where did you find these wicked ??

Steph

apistodave
Thu May 25, 2006, 01:25 AM
YOu guys got Apistogramma panduro, I iknow for sure cause I helped Uwe Romer descibe it. :lol: Waldo Waldo Waldo long as you been hanging around me nothing has rubbed off???????????????

Th0mas
Thu May 25, 2006, 01:30 AM
Am aware there's some oregon landed in Melbourne lately. How much? Where??

The oregon has higher fin and more orange in the fin as well as the mouth area. The spot in tail doesn't extend as far into the caudal fin for the oregon.

The panduro wedge black patch at the tail (for male) comes and go depending on mood.

Reillin should be able to confirm.

Thomas.

Waldo
Thu May 25, 2006, 01:32 AM
yeah. Thats why when I get the new Atlas I'll be a lot more help!

apistodave
Thu May 25, 2006, 01:40 AM
we're working on it, we're working on it 2nd edition being printed now!!!!!!!!!!

steph
Thu May 25, 2006, 01:44 AM
Hey Dave

Is that a reprint of Cichlid Atlas 1 or the new Cichlid Atlas 2 ?? Cant get my hands on #1 for love or money atm :(

Cheers

Steph

apistodave
Thu May 25, 2006, 01:47 AM
that is the new edition 2---I am going to try and get some copies of it and of the first one also--have to contact my pal before July

Th0mas
Thu May 25, 2006, 02:28 AM
Finally we're getting some attention from the REAL expert in the field - yipee.

apistodave
Thu May 25, 2006, 02:37 AM
I had to get involved I just couldnt go on and watch Waldo ruin all these fresh young minds!!!!!!!!!!!

parkap
Thu May 25, 2006, 02:38 AM
Steph,

It took me ages to find a copy around the world of the Cichlid Atlas Vol 1. Not one online reatiler, including Amazon, Barnes & Noble or the domestic one's had it. I even tried emailing Uwe directly on an email address of his I found on apistogrammaidiots.com. (Not that he responded.)

Found an obsecure English website that had a heap of German language versions available but only one english version. It ended up the enlish version being advertised was from a small book seller in Melbourne. So I managed to grab it. I maybe exagerrating here (highly likely) but I reckon that was the last english language version left available in the world!!! :D

Sorry. Not actually any help for you.

p.

apistodave
Thu May 25, 2006, 02:41 AM
According to my info you got it right--I have two copies--anyone really desperate???? :evil:

reddstagg
Thu May 25, 2006, 04:01 AM
Already emailed Mergus some time ago when someone on forums.apistogramma.com mentioned a second edition (which is basically vol 2 as its a stand alone book) Someone on forums.apistogramma said it was due last month intime for a german pet show (Zoo somethING)

But mergus said it will come out 2007.....so im deducting that 2007 july the second edition will be in print... talking to mike wise he will be helping with english translation.

Dean

steph
Thu May 25, 2006, 04:16 AM
The info I got from Steven Simpson Books in the UK was that Vol2 is coming out soon - July and Vol 1 is out of print and they are considering a reprint next year - 2007.

Everyone Ive contacted who has the book listed, doesnt actually have a copy in stock, and Im not actually desperate enough to pay 90 - 100 AUD for a copy.

From the link quoted...
Mergus Cichlid Atlas Book 1 Out Of StockA$74.40

Cheers

Steph

arjay
Thu May 25, 2006, 05:50 AM
According to my info you got it right--I have two copies--anyone really desperate???? :evil:How desperate would one have to be - in other words - how much would you be asking for a copy? :wink:

apistodave
Thu May 25, 2006, 06:06 AM
I wouldnt sell em for anything--they both have one whole page of dedication from my partner Uwe

arjay
Thu May 25, 2006, 06:26 AM
Ahhh... I see that I missed the point of your other post... I'm a little slow at times... :oops:

hotrowe
Thu May 25, 2006, 06:36 AM
:o Hi,
I have several copies of the Atlas available if anyone is interested.
I am looking forward to Volume 2. Hope that it is as good as Volume 1, Dave.
What is your opinion on the A numbers?
Cheers,
Graham.

arjay
Thu May 25, 2006, 06:50 AM
:o Hi,
I have several copies of the Atlas available if anyone is interested.
I am looking forward to Volume 2. Hope that it is as good as Volume 1, Dave.
What is your opinion on the A numbers?
Cheers,
Graham.
I would certainly be interested in a copy.

wickedglass
Thu May 25, 2006, 12:59 PM
I should do this more often, it certainly started a bit of a conversation.
I don't actually have these fish, I saw these pics on the net on a site about rio nanay and I really really liked them. apparently the images were taken at a peruvian holding station before being shipped out. there was no name associated with the images, so I thought I'd ask.
anyone in melbourne got these? and what sort of price would they be?

wickedglass
Thu May 25, 2006, 01:04 PM
almost forgot, there's a shop called
Fin Land Aquarium on pascoe vale road (from memory it's number 123) in moonee ponds but maybe check with information on the street number.
they have A. oregon and A. martini ... (again from memory, one of those two was about $70 a pair, can't remember which one though) .... also lots of other apistos including one named "yellow apistogramma" (for only $7 or $8 each, so maybe a borelli or a hybrid, unsure).

apistodave
Thu May 25, 2006, 04:57 PM
The A numbers are nice, all the different common names need straightening out and I dont see an end to the discovery of new fish any time soon, happily. Of course having them described scientifically is the best solution, we are working on it, and now that Kullander is back in the game, it should go faster. I relly like tha Datz book and the Aqualog, everyone should have a copy,specially the Datz book that Mike worked on, I have a copy of both on my desk all the time, I would have the Atlas there but I dont think the legs of the desk could take it. Wicked glass do you have pics of the A martini?? I would really like to see some, can you get them???

wickedglass
Thu May 25, 2006, 11:18 PM
I'll try and get out there tomorrow and take a couple of pics.

apistodave
Thu May 25, 2006, 11:31 PM
That would be most excellent---Uwe and I described this fish, and its NOT named after the drink, it is named after a German ichthyologist, Martin Mortenthaler!. There is another species which is very close in appearance, Uwe and I have been trying to get a hold of some of these for a long time--in the Datz Pub it is called lyretail 2. It is important to get some to see the differences ,also the lyretail 2 is very beautifull, at least from some pics I've seen.

kevkoi
Fri May 26, 2006, 01:08 AM
I know the source of the martini and oregon available in Melb at the moment. They were from a Peruvian exporter, by way of Singapore. I got my hands on these before they were sent on to Australia. They're standard Apistogramma martini1. I'll attempt to shoot some pics of them in the next few days. Not had any luck breeding these or the Oregon. :cry:

kev

apistodave
Fri May 26, 2006, 01:14 AM
Use peat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Waldo
Fri May 26, 2006, 03:51 AM
May I make a formal introduction. Dave has mentioned before he works with Uwe Roemer. They are both gracious gentleman and we should all scavenge the ground they walk on for bits of knowledge they leave behind. You can read some of their studies written in the new Cichlid Atlas that will make it's debut sometime this summer.

I met Roemer in Germany a few weeks ago. I flew 22 hours to see him. Dave on the other had is about a 4 hour drive yet we've never met in person.

If you are in the states and looking for some wonderful dwarf cichlids dave is a wonderful breeder and can often supply many of the rare saught after apisto's.

Thanks for your presence!

reddstagg
Sat May 27, 2006, 03:54 AM
Hey Apistodave, fantastic to have you here on Discus forums...
Can you confirm that it will be avaible this year? Because i cant wait to see the work you boys have done on it, I sent am email off to Mergus earlier last month about Cichlid Atlast 2

Hello and sorry,
not true. The book will appear in early 2007.
It`s not the second edition but the 2. volume
regards Mergus

Seems like Mergus is on a totally different timeline to what your talking about....i believe the authors tho :), so when will it appear, as like i said over at forums.apistogramma.com there are a few in australia wanting it :)

Dean

Wow just after posting, i went to check apistogrammaidiots, and just made the connected with apistodave and David Soares and then i just found this http://apistogrammaidiots.com/Fishroom/Request/request.html and it says 2003... im REALLY confused now

Robdog
Sun May 28, 2006, 02:14 AM
Further to Waldo's introduction, I guess we could say we have one third of the "Apistogramma Holy Trinity" here with us in ApistoDave. All we need now is Uwe and Mike Wise.
Not sure where Kev is going to fit in though? :? Might have to make it a Holy Square :lol:

apistodave
Sun May 28, 2006, 02:38 AM
Ok you guys had me doubting things there earlier so I E-mailed my German friend and he told me-----but I cant tell you, well heck you'll be happy--OK?

boy that sounds dumb

wickedglass
Sun May 28, 2006, 07:43 AM
hiya, Dave,
I went to the shop today woith my camera so I could take some images of the martinis. unfortunately someone came in during the week and bought the lot :(
so no pics of them.
who would have thunk!
new shipment of apistos in about 4 weeks there, so maybe more martinis. I'll go and look once the new shipment is in and take the camera.
they have oregon, pucallpaensis, borelli, cacatuoides and agassizii double reds. the pucs and the oregon are wild caught. the guy at the shop says the new shipment will include mostly wilds.

apistodave
Sun May 28, 2006, 04:28 PM
Thanks for trying wicked dude--maybe next time--I wish I could send you fish I'd take care of you and get some of those things

Robdog
Sun May 28, 2006, 04:34 PM
You send him fish and you'll have to send us ALL fish Dave!

apistodave
Sun May 28, 2006, 04:50 PM
Not a problem I'm apistodave@bendcable.com at Paypal

Waldo
Sun May 28, 2006, 10:55 PM
Haha... we just need your government to stop being so tight.

apistodave
Sun May 28, 2006, 11:51 PM
There you go Australia is strict --but they do need to be with all the special little animals running around

wickedglass
Mon May 29, 2006, 12:12 AM
I'm a special little animal :P

apistodave
Mon May 29, 2006, 12:33 AM
Oh I doubt it, I rather think you are a big dumb hairy one like some of those we have running around the woods here in the Pacific Northwest.

wickedglass
Mon May 29, 2006, 12:52 AM
aaaaaw, please leave me to my illusions :P
also I don't have a gun like the ones that run around in the woods down your way ;)

apistodave
Mon May 29, 2006, 01:39 AM
Dont remind me I live in those woods! It's like Viet Nam in the fall.

Robdog
Mon May 29, 2006, 03:47 AM
I agree. I was in the north cascades last august and those woods are creepy. We've got snakes in our bushland but you've got bears, moose and elk.
Snakes will kill you in a few hours, bears will kill you on the spot!
And I'd hate to get shafted by an elks horns :shock:

apistodave
Mon May 29, 2006, 04:08 AM
What about the big hairy beasts with bigfeet??? Dont forget them--I think you call them Yowie's, besides for animals that are dangerous to man Australia has the PN beat by a mile, what about those jumping Jack ants or whatever their name is and the snakes and crocs and the kangaroos with boxing gloves??? :( :cry: :evil:

Noddy65
Mon May 29, 2006, 04:39 AM
Not to mention the threatening wives etc...

Mike

apistodave
Mon May 29, 2006, 05:22 AM
Hmmmmm threatening wives--as long as they threaten and not go into full rebellion I think they can be handled.

Noddy65
Mon May 29, 2006, 05:34 AM
Actually...sometimes I think my wife is a 'big hairy beast with bigfeet' :D

Mike :twisted:

apistodave
Mon May 29, 2006, 06:06 AM
Oh please no pics there!!!!!!!!!!1