PDA

View Full Version : Filters & CO2 Recs

LiberalFishLover
Fri Aug 06, 2004, 02:11 AM
Top of da morning to ya

i want to set up a 46 gal planted tank and am a little confused over what type of filter to use. I have seen some posts that say that trickle filters are great but suck too much C02 out of the water thus reducing plant growth so a CO2 device is needed. On the other hand I have seen posts that canister filters are better for a planted aquarium.

What is the general consensus out there for the best type of filter system for a planted aquarium and what equipment / model is recommended? There are so many different types and makes of filters out there is a little daunting. Also, does anyone recommend the filters made by cpr aquatics (see cprusa.com)

Thanks
Collie in NYC :?:

Proteus
Fri Aug 06, 2004, 02:16 AM
I have sent a message to someone who is an expert in this field...

hopefully it wont be long before they give you an idea of what to get, plus they are stateside as well, so should be familiar with available equipment.

LiberalFishLover
Fri Aug 06, 2004, 02:18 AM
oh yeah and if you know an Irish guy in Sydney called Kevin Mongey, tell him his college buddy in New York says hello

Proteus
Fri Aug 06, 2004, 02:19 AM
ummmm, OK...

:wink:

Fri Aug 06, 2004, 03:22 AM
I have sent a message to someone who is an expert in this field...

I'll take a stab at an answer untill they get here. :wink:

I have seen some posts that say that trickle filters are great but suck too much C02 out of the water thus reducing plant growth so a CO2 device is needed.

Not really. Any surface disturbance be it from a filter, air stone/wall, ect. will make the water try to reach an equalibrium with what is in the air. This is usually around 3-5 ppm. If you are not injecting CO2, this is what the level will be anyway, so it's a non issue. On the other hand, if you inject, keeping in mind good CO2 levels are around 25 ppm, it will still try to reach this equalibrium, so it will drive some off and lower it a bit. You can make up for this by injecting more or getting rid of the surface distrurbance.

On the other hand I have seen posts that canister filters are better for a planted aquarium.

I run both but prefer canisters for my injected tanks. I can use an inline external CO2 reactor with them. That means one less piece of equipment in my tank.

What is the general consensus out there for the best type of filter system for a planted aquarium and what equipment / model is recommended? There are so many different types and makes of filters out there is a little daunting. Also, does anyone recommend the filters made by cpr aquatics (see cprusa.com)

I am not sure you will find a general consensus. I happen to like the marineland filters. I use penguins for HOB filters and Magnums for canisters. Most of the complaints you will hear for the Magnums is that they don't have any space for Bio media. Well, in a heavily planted tank your plants are your bio filter and I have no need for wasted space.

Proteus
Fri Aug 06, 2004, 03:26 AM
I'll take a stab at an answer until they get here.

oh really???

looks like THEY got here... :P