PDA

View Full Version : Best place to buy HARDY blue rams

Blybo
Tue May 23, 2006, 04:40 AM
Hi guys,
I love blue rams but have had no success in keeping them in my community planted tank. My water conditions are fine (27 C, ph 6.8, 0 ammo, 0 nitrite, relatively low gh and kh) I have had two Discus for the last couple of months without any problems but the rams, bought in 2's, have only ever lasted a week or 2. Should I get pairs in the future and who has hardy stock in Melbourne?

p.s. the most aggressive fish in the tank is a clown loach. I also have a couple of congo tetra and red/blue columbian(sp?) tetra.

Cheers,
Neil

wickedglass
Tue May 23, 2006, 07:02 AM
I've seen beautiful golden rams at St Kilda Aquarium, and I think the guy on Hight Street Northcote (can't remember the name of the shop) ... at least he had nice big blues last time I was there. They're around $20 each ram at both places.

Blybo
Tue May 23, 2006, 11:15 PM
Thanks for that Chris,
I have tried the rams from Northcote without success. To be honest I haven't had the best experiences with Northcote and although they are local to me I won't be going back.

I think I might be heading to St Kilda tonight.

Nathan
Wed May 24, 2006, 09:05 AM
i bought quite a few blue and golden rams from a place in syndal called hi-fin they are excellent there really helpful and really nice. there blue rams are german bred and are $18 each all the ones i have bought have lived for around 6 months and have spawned for nearly the whole time.

HTH

wickedglass
Fri May 26, 2006, 01:01 PM
we were at Amazing Amazon aquarium on springvale road today, they had some very nice large rams there. also Upmarket Aquarium at vic market has some long finned rams if you're into that sort of thing. personally I think long finned varieties take away from the original form, rather than adding to them, they always look like they have such difficulties swimming, too.

Blybo
Wed May 31, 2006, 07:06 AM
Thanks guy's,
I bought a pair each of blue and golden rams from an aquarium on Plenty road sort of between Preston and Kingsbury. Very helpful there too and the whole upstairs is chiclids.

So far so good...

wickedglass
Wed May 31, 2006, 02:16 PM
that'd be Rayonne Aquarium ... I might have to go there and grab a golden female! how much were they going for and how big are they?
I like Rayonne, Mick's a very nice guy to deal with.

*Chris*
Sun Jun 04, 2006, 11:54 AM
hey guys , i work at A.I who supply some of these fish to the aquariums that you have mentioned above . honestly you could have just got a few bad batches (which is not uncommon) best bet is just buying a small group and letting them pair naturally that way if a few die you still have a few to fall back on . generally at work the larger they are the hardier they seem

Nathan
Sun Jun 04, 2006, 12:49 PM
ive seen the rams at amazing amazon on springvale an wasnt really impressed by there colourings, however the ones in there discus display tank are nice, but i would buy them from somewhere else personally.