PDA

View Full Version : thinking of getting

zebraboy
Thu Aug 05, 2004, 11:14 AM
i am thinking of getting a whild discus just woundering if anyone knew if there was any diffrences with keeping wild and tank breed
cheers steven

kevkoi
Thu Aug 05, 2004, 11:31 AM
Well, are we talking about wild caught discus or just "Wild strain" discus? These are 2 very different type fish.

I have some tank bred red spotted green discus F2 coming on my next shipment. These are bred from originally Wild caught stock, but because they have been bred on farms in Penang, their care is as easy as keeping any other discus.

HOWEVER, wildcaught discus can be a different ball game sometimes.... we have in the past tried wildcaught heckels with less than desirable results. That said, it really depends on the source you get your wildcaught discus from. We will be getting some GIANT blueface heckels (17cm!!) wildcaught, from Brazil on our next shipment as well... Those fish will be a sight to behold! :)

Wildcaught discus can sometimes come with an array of weird and difficult diseases and parasites.... unless you can clearly see that these fish are healthy, eating and responsive.... be wary.

kev

zebraboy
Thu Aug 05, 2004, 11:40 AM
wild caught from the river to the tank OR so they say

but i was also looking for sanmerahs if u or somone that reads this might know were i can get 1

AdelaideAnt
Fri Aug 06, 2004, 10:44 PM
oh cmon steve you know ya just dieing to buy my Blue D's....lol.

flukes
Sat Aug 07, 2004, 03:36 AM
Why do you want wilds for?? They come with too many deseases that you cant cure and the costs a shit load too import to oz. Better off getting F1's or even F2's, looks the same, swims the same.
And a San Mehra is a tank bred strain. I thought a San merha was a result of cross breeding Alquencers and Santrems, which are also very similar fish.
I could be wrong San Merah's might be a wild strain, that just from what i have read and learnt.

AdelaideAnt
Sat Aug 07, 2004, 03:45 AM
also looking for sanmerahs

lol...got ya flukes, he wasn't stating they were wilds he was just saying he is also looking for San Merah :P

flukes
Sat Aug 07, 2004, 05:19 AM
give me a break, I been popping valiums because i decided too take my stiches out 4 daays too early......big mistake..

Proteus
Sat Aug 07, 2004, 06:56 AM
OUCH!!!

dude, ya aint meant to do crazy stuff like that...

flukes
Sat Aug 07, 2004, 07:39 AM
Its a messed up situation because apparently the doctor writes on the workcare form that i can do light work duties, and i couldnt really do anything at work so work said well if you dont come in you dont get paid. So it was basically take 10 days off and dont get paid or work and put up with the pain, so i did but now its really starting to hurt so i took them out.
This is a cruel system, i was basically doing the same work as before i did the injury and if i took days off i wasnt going to get paid. And how can i afford discus if i dont get paid. :lol: :lol:
I think the doctor see's it as if i put iam unfit for work then he has to prove it and its just more paper work for them. And work see's it as well if the doctor says he can work then why not use him. In the end its the patient that cops it. I rang the doctors the other day and asked why they wrote light duties and they said basically its up too the workplace too decide, but the way i see it they are not qualified too say if a person is fit or unfit too work.
So in the end the doctors are happy because they get the paid the bill without all the workcare b/s, and the workplace is happy because they still have a "Approved fit worker". And iam left one in pain SOB.
You would basically have to kill yourself too get a buck out of the workplace. Iam going to write to the head office of my company and see what they say but other than that there isnt much i can do.

dreamer
Sat Aug 07, 2004, 09:57 AM
there arent many tank bred wild (f1, f2, ...) that resemble the real 'wild' appearance. most are wild x domestic, from my i read on the net its hard to get wilds to spawn. so yeah ..unless the same strain breed together then you will the same appearance.

they may carry diseases and parasites but with proper quarantine by importer then i dont really see the issue. in oversea wild and domestic strain cost similar ....why it costs so much in here ...probably due to low demand :cry: :x

but i wont argue that wild and domestic swim the same way :P :P

AdelaideAnt
Sat Aug 07, 2004, 11:56 PM
OUCH